1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cracked Windshield

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CowboyTaco, Feb 10, 2011.

?

Which windshield should I get?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2011.
  1. Claim Insurance and get the factory glass

37 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. Pay out of pocket and get the factory glass

10 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Safelite all the way!

21 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Go with the cheapest option. Glass is glass.

18 vote(s)
    20.2%
  5. Some other choice. Please elaborate if you choose this.

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Feb 11, 2011 at 1:31 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    TOTALLY AGREE! I can write a book about auto insurance based on past experiences, I have my local insurance agent on quick dial, I call her all the time with "what if" questions. ( she knows me very, very well, if you know what I mean)

2. Feb 11, 2011 at 4:09 AM
    Firetech

Firetech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Off Road
    I used Safelite, They did a great job and used quality glass. Can't tell the difference from Toyota. Have used them in the past for all my cars and work truck.

3. Feb 11, 2011 at 4:45 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I would go with Toyota, I think.
    My son used Safelite a couple of weeks ago. Scratched his hood and around the window on his TC. They comped the glass and install and offered to pay for the repairs. He opted out of the repair, did not want to paint half the car for a couple of scratches.:cool:

4. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Didn't look anything like this, did it?
    This is when the deer decided to hit the side of my Taco.... $2000 in damage. My insurance decided that glass damage is also subject to the deductible.
    The really bad part is I had another 125 miles to get to my hotel that night.

Windshield.jpg

5. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well, not sure about state to state insurance practices but I'm in TX and had glass coverage, had several chips repaired on our 3 vehicles that have full coverage & charged it to insurance saving them from replacing windshields & low and behold...they wanted to up our policy come renewal time because of those "claims" we made. Just go with the safelite thing or whoever and pay out of pocket unless you have something in writing from your ins co stating that it will in no way affect your rates would be my suggestion. They have 10.00 chip repair things at auto parts places AND...if you have a crack (please, no jokes:D) you can go to one of those windshield repair places, have them drill the end of the crack & put their repair stuff on it and stop it from traveling...if you feel uncomfortable drilling on your windshield like I did. It stopped the crack in it's tracks.

6. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    ToyTaco

ToyTaco For the Retards, Im a Female

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Newark, DE
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4 modified
    I went through safelite and they did a great job on my truck it was 300 when it was all said and done and i came outta pocket cause my insurance would have only paid like maybe 50 if i was lucky so no use having that claim on my record
    and from it look like is almost like the stock glass cause it has the dot matrix, etc and everything instead of just straight normal glass

7. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 884X Coil Springs, CS047 Dakar Leaf Springs, 90000 Nitrocharger Sport Front Shocks and N182 Nitrocharger Rear Shocks, Light Racing UCAs, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Leer 100XQ Cap, 3/4" Plywood Carpeted Bed Platform, Thule Rack System w/4 Rocky Mounts PitchFork bike mounts, Pop & Lock PL5300, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch Mod, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod, FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0511 V2W LED Light, Go Rhino Dominator II SideSteps, HitchSafe, Console Vault, Fumoto F-103N Oil Drain Valve
    I agree totally...call your agent, that is what you are paying your insurance premiums for!

I have Erie...windshield repairs have no deductable, but a replacement is subject to the deductable, but it is lower than the regular collision/comp deductable. I just can't think of what it is off the top of my head.

8. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    Can't blame a company for that.. the tech was obviously not good. The majority of these guys working for these company's or independent guys can r&I a windshield in less than 25 min. Without damaging anything ... just make sir they use pinchweld primer or it will rust very quickly!!

9. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Now I've only taken out a couple windshields, but I didn't use any "primer" on it. Just sealed it and.. well that's it.

10. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    Well if there was no bare metal its ok..or if its not towards the outside... but its better to put it on.. have you ever seen truck or cars that rust Along the roof at the top of the windshield? That's why.

11. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    yea.. they all do that here. I always figured it was a rock chip gone bad or chafing at the rubber moulding area.

12. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Well im not in a sand area.. just a bad salt/cinder area.. but everyone that ive seen is from the windshield not being installed properly.. when you use a windshield knife most of the time it hits the edge of your roof hidden by the windshield.. when new urethane is put on.. it doesnt go up to the roof edgy it only stays on the pinchweld..thus leavind the bare metal showing along the roof.. although you cant see it becasue it gets hidden my the windshield molding.

13. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Just had my windshield replaced. Used safelite through insurance. Total was like $280-something total with OEM approved glass & new rubber & labor. I paid my deductible of $250. They did a great job, no damage to my truck.

Most insurance companies will only do it free of charge if it's a repair, not a replacement.

PS- If you claim it, it is a comprehensive claim and will not affect your rates.

PS#2 - If you go through insurance, they most likely will not get you factory glass from Toyota. They will use OEM "approved" glass.

14. Feb 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I've got a $50 deductable for glass on my insurance. Which was a good thing considering I put 4 windshields in the access cab 05 I had in 102k miles. My brother in law's broke at about 20k in his too. My double cab has 118k on it and the original windshield. Go figure. Maybe cab flex has something to do with it. My double cab feels a lot more solid than the access cab did.

15. Feb 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Wasn't my experience, which is why they got dropped.

16. Feb 11, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Maybe if you have like 50 bajillion comp claims (exaggerated) a company may want to drop you....but comp claims can't increase you rate.

edit...

T@co, made a call and I stand corrected....

According to the Texas department of insurance, a company can technically increase your rate for a comp claim.

According to the CA Department of insurance, a company can only surcharge you for a comp claim if you are found to be "at fault" for whatever damage was caused...

I'm a broker in CA and of all the years working with many many insurance carriers, I have not seen or heard of any of them charge for a comp claim.

In short, it could happen - and you should check with your agent first to clarify before you file..

17. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    slo13zx3

slo13zx3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    forest city pa
    Vehicle:
    14 trd off 6speed nav
    I'm a auto glass tech. and if it was my truck I would go with a pgw or u.n glass! not pilkington or some f.y or shit from china or safelites junk. when the tech gets there give him a $20. tell him take his time take cowl off use primer. he will know what your talking about !!!

18. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Information I could have used LAST summer!

But how do you even know what glass you have? Not like it comes to your house in a box.

19. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:40 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Das why I said, call your agent. I learn so much when I call the agent.
    Same with home owners insurance.. anything... I think they pretty much count on you not calling them. Every time I call, its like hitting the jackpot.
    "really, you really cover that?" Didn't cover my exploded water heater, but it covered the drywall from the "flood". Didn't replace my refrigerator, but put new door hinges on one. If I wanted I think they'll even cover what my reneters do to the house.

20. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    slo13zx3

slo13zx3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    forest city pa
    Vehicle:
    14 trd off 6speed nav
    part number for are trucks fw2500. I can do one in about a 30-60 mins for $180

Products Discussed in

To Top