LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

blacked out emblem

Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Casey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
blacked out emblem

So it has finally hit me that the blacked out emblems on a silver taco looks great. I really want to persure doing this but im just really nervous to start it becuase i dont know how to mark them off, what to use, how to reapply them back and hoping they are perfectly straight. Any suggestions on what you guys have done?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
What you do is get the blue painters tape tape around emblem so that you still have an idea where the emblem sat, i made it alot easier for myself i bought extra emblems painted them ahead of time so when i removed my emblems i just put the black ones on. use fishing line to get them off, i bought the 3m autmotive name tape on ebay for the new ones.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3M-Au...spagenameZWD1V
Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Casey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
What you do is get the blue painters tape tape around emblem so that you still have an idea where the emblem sat, i made it alot easier for myself i bought extra emblems painted them ahead of time so when i removed my emblems i just put the black ones on. use fishing line to get them off, i bought the 3m autmotive name tape on ebay for the new ones.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3M-Au...spagenameZWD1V
I think id feel more comfortable if i bought a new set also. How much did that fun you. I have a prerunner so i might have more than you if your a 4x4
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i have a prerunner as well i think i paid $20 for all emblems
Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
i have a prerunner as well i think i paid $20 for all emblems
OK if i can get them all for 20 bucks im doing that for sure lol. did you jsut spray the paint on or what?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Founder Socaltacomas.com

I scuffed them emblem up with 140-160 grit sand paper and them sprayed krylon fusion on and then went over it with a matte finish clear coat but i gave it some good coats of each like 5 coats of each and have had no probs!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
I scuffed them emblem up with 140-160 grit sand paper and them sprayed krylon fusion on and then went over it with a matte finish clear coat but i gave it some good coats of each like 5 coats of each and have had no probs!
Ok yea i need to do this asap
Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com

It will look nice when you do it and its on your truck.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
you can use the emblems that you have. the old tape comes off real easy, and you can cut pieces of 3m tape to reapply them. when i painted mine...i washed them real good with dawn dish soap...dried overnight, then put them on card board, and i used adhesion promoter....follow directions, i used about 5 coats of that, then i used about 5 or 6 coats(do the last part lightly, till the emblems are covered) of duplicolor flat black, then let them dry a good 24 hours. then i put them back on the truck. mine is an 04...but you can get a basic idea of what they look like.........

Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Founder Socaltacomas.com

Show off lol looks good tacomaman!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Show off lol looks good tacomaman!
........just giving him a preview of what his will be like!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
you can use the emblems that you have. the old tape comes off real easy, and you can cut pieces of 3m tape to reapply them. when i painted mine...i washed them real good with dawn dish soap...dried overnight, then put them on card board, and i used adhesion promoter....follow directions, i used about 5 coats of that, then i used about 5 or 6 coats(do the last part lightly, till the emblems are covered) of duplicolor flat black, then let them dry a good 24 hours. then i put them back on the truck. mine is an 04...but you can get a basic idea of what they look like.........

They look great man. Thanks for the help
Old 09-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Wow! If I still had emblems I would do them like that.. looks great!
thanks man!!! i love the way they turned out myself.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
scottiem is on a distinguished road

Navy: Flight Engineer, Aircraft Mechanic
scottiem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
OK if i can get them all for 20 bucks im doing that for sure lol. did you jsut spray the paint on or what?
Don't worry about going and buying new ones unless you really want to. Just do it over the weekend. Reading this post it reminded me that I still needed to do mine. I just got back in from taking the door emblems off cleaned scuffed and painted them with Krylon Fusion Satin black. I put 3 coats on and will do 2 more tomorrow, then clear coat them. Need to stop at the local auto paint supplier tomorrow and get some 3M tape. As others have mentioned they are really easy to get off, just get some fishing line and kind of saw back and forth slowly cutting through the tape. It only took me about 3 minutes to get off each side. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
Founder Socaltacomas.com

Thats true you dont really need to buy new emblems it just made everything faster for me to do.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
I have not see that done on a 1st gen, looks great Will.
thanks man....gotta get rid of all the chrome on my 04!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
thanks man....gotta get rid of all the chrome on my 04!!!!

good call

i attempted that...but im bout to bling the bitch back out when i put those ivan stewart rims on
Old 09-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiem View Post
Don't worry about going and buying new ones unless you really want to. Just do it over the weekend. Reading this post it reminded me that I still needed to do mine. I just got back in from taking the door emblems off cleaned scuffed and painted them with Krylon Fusion Satin black. I put 3 coats on and will do 2 more tomorrow, then clear coat them. Need to stop at the local auto paint supplier tomorrow and get some 3M tape. As others have mentioned they are really easy to get off, just get some fishing line and kind of saw back and forth slowly cutting through the tape. It only took me about 3 minutes to get off each side. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
I would just feel more comfortable if i were to screw them up anyway that i could still have the original ones on