Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How can we know that 2nd gens are of lower quality

Old 02-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
None of the "fancy" stuff is having problems. It is just general truck issues.
Well I have no problems with my Bluetooth Well I dont have blue tooth but thats beside the point
Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK View Post
This is exactly what I came in here to say.

Plus I'm sure years from now people will be saying how their 2nd gens are at 300,000+ miles and still running strong.
The electronics are one of my biggest concerns.

I rather prefer computer automation for many tasks where possible because honestly, "to err is human." Far too many times in our history, I can point to humans as the real root of failure. Things like Three mile island, Chernobyl and the gulf oil spill may very well have been avoided with less human decision making, because emotions cloud judgment. Computers just react to the information they are given. Hence why ABS/TRAC and other technologies are darn useful, but they are more likely to wear out sooner (give and take I guess).
Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #23
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Well I have no problems with my Bluetooth Well I dont have blue tooth but thats beside the point
You know what I mean. I don't want people like you saying we are having problems with the traction systems.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You know what I mean. I don't want people like you saying we are having problems with the traction systems.
Well I have no problems with my traction systems either Well I dont have traction systems but thats beside the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmgt View Post
The electronics are one of my biggest concerns.

I rather prefer computer automation for many tasks where possible because honestly, "to err is human." Far too many times in our history, I can point to humans as the real root of failure. Things like Three mile island, Chernobyl and the gulf oil spill may very well have been avoided with less human decision making, because emotions cloud judgment. Computers just react to the information they are given. Hence why ABS/TRAC and other technologies are darn useful, but they are more likely to wear out sooner (give and take I guess).
^^^^
All those electronics soon will start giving major problems and they are darn expensive to repair. As I said before if you had chossen to buy electronic loaded truck you should not complain on those systems failing. It was given
Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #25
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Well I have no problems with my traction systems either Well I dont have traction systems but thats beside the point

^^^^
All those electronics soon will start giving major problems and they are darn expensive to repair. As I said before if you had chossen to buy electronic loaded truck you should not complain on those systems failing. It was given
But they aren't failing. Take a break from the mall crawling and read what is going on. Blower motor noise. Your truck has one right? Engine noise. Your truck has an engine right? Open the hood to see it. Drivetrain vibration. Your truck has a drivetrain right? Take a look in the manual to see how to operate it.

He is concerned about them but I am not. I am concerned about the issues I am already having.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #26
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
I have to say, it seems as though Toyota put out better quality back when they were fighting their way to win the American market. Now they think they can just ride on their reputation.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #27
Silver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silver DC's Tacoma Gallery
Got 70,000 on mine with no rattles, no ticking, only problem is a slight vib in drivetrain on acceleration. All in all, a very good truck.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #28
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But they aren't failing. Take a break from the mall crawling and read what is going on. Blower motor noise. Your truck has one right? Engine noise. Your truck has an engine right? Open the hood to see it. Drivetrain vibration. Your truck has a drivetrain right? Take a look in the manual to see how to operate it.

He is concerned about them but I am not. I am concerned about the issues I am already having.

i have and engine, driveline, dash, blower, no noises... and i dont need to use the manual to use my driveline...
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #29
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
i have and engine, driveline, dash, blower, no noises... and i dont need to use the manual to use my driveline...
That is great but it wasn't directed to you.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #30
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is great but it wasn't directed to you.
im just saying that i dont have issue with what you said.(more for the op than directed at you.)

i do however think its kind of dumb to make insults like making references to mall crawling and implying someone should use the manual to use there driveline... why go to that level?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #31
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
im just saying that i dont have issue with what you said.(more for the op than directed at you.)

i do however think its kind of dumb to make insults like making references to mall crawling and implying someone should use the manual to use there driveline... why go to that level?
Well you are lucky that you don't have issues.

You obviously missed a couple of his posts toward me. Just giving him a taste of his own medicine.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #32
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
For the most part, are the issues noted here already ones that anyone would pickup on or only a highly discernible mind would detect? (ie: I would wager to say most [if not all] would notice a smoke stack from under their hood, but maybe not a loud blower motor)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #33
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2000 new, then after the 4 banger got piston slap at 48k I traded it for a v-6 in 2003 new. It had recals for ball joints and the MAF went at 49k, after that I went to 198K with no troubles at all. I traded it in for my 2010 and got $9500 for it. Of all the trucks, I like the 2010 the best. It's stronger, bigger(more room), rides better, looks better and has more options, and goes more places. I vote 2nd gen.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #35
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK View Post
I have to say, it seems as though Toyota put out better quality back when they were fighting their way to win the American market. Now they think they can just ride on their reputation.
^This-Toyota is unfortunately doing what GM did. They got too comfortable being on top. I had a loaded '98 Tacoma TRD V6 with 120k miles on it when I traded it in and off roaded the hell out it and everything worked great. I went years without owning a truck and thought one day I would get back to owning another one those awesome trucks. Well that day came again a few months ago and I've been pretty disappointed with what has happened to toyotas quality. I was the kind of person that swore by toyotas and got most of my family to buy them. They own several 4-Runners (still made in Tokyo JAPAN which explains why no problems) I still love my truck but Toyota needs to get their shit straight.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #36
Ado will become famous soon enough

Ado's Tacoma Gallery
I don't own a Tacoma, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in from the perspective of someone who's actively researching several different vehicles in preparation for buying one soon...

Everything I have seen about 2nd gen Tacomas (here, on Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Cars.com, etc.) having "issues" has revolved around rattling dashboards, weak tailgates, noisy fans, etc. Reading up on Jeep Wranglers, they have issues with rusting door hinges, leaking roofs, transfer cases that are darn near impossible to shift (entire threads of "it slides in if I start going forward, rock it into reverse, and then go forward again", "it's easiest between 5 and 8 mph" and "I keep a few of the plastic connectors in my glove compartment so I'm not left high and dry if I break one pulling too hard on the lever"), and stuff of that nature. Talk all day about how they don't make them like they used to, but I've stopped considering a Wrangler and I'm nearly dead set on a 2nd gen Tacoma. Given the choice between your noisy blower fan and a real problem, I'll gladly take the problem I can "fix" by turning the radio up a little louder. The Jeep folks will argue till they're blue in the face about Consumer Reports being biased and unreliable, but frankly I'm inclined to believe that there's a method to the way they vilify some cars (like the Wrangler) and praise others (like the current Tacoma).
Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #37
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I don't own a Tacoma, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in from the perspective of someone who's actively researching several different vehicles in preparation for buying one soon...

Everything I have seen about 2nd gen Tacomas (here, on Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Cars.com, etc.) having "issues" has revolved around rattling dashboards, weak tailgates, noisy fans, etc. Reading up on Jeep Wranglers, they have issues with rusting door hinges, leaking roofs, transfer cases that are darn near impossible to shift (entire threads of "it slides in if I start going forward, rock it into reverse, and then go forward again", "it's easiest between 5 and 8 mph" and "I keep a few of the plastic connectors in my glove compartment so I'm not left high and dry if I break one pulling too hard on the lever"), and stuff of that nature. Talk all day about how they don't make them like they used to, but I've stopped considering a Wrangler and I'm nearly dead set on a 2nd gen Tacoma. Given the choice between your noisy blower fan and a real problem, I'll gladly take the problem I can "fix" by turning the radio up a little louder. The Jeep folks will argue till they're blue in the face about Consumer Reports being biased and unreliable, but frankly I'm inclined to believe that there's a method to the way they vilify some cars (like the Wrangler) and praise others (like the current Tacoma).
X34780943. That is why I still love my truck but I just wish a bit more attention to detail was used is all.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #38
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
I get it. The grass is always greener on the other side. My favorite paradox is that when we buy something expensive, we justify it to ourselves and others often, while tearing it a new one because 'it could be better.'

That paradox drives me crazy, because I feel it must be our strange human psychology.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #39
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
I guess the only way to really know is wait and see. But IMO all you have to do is look at Toyota's track record. I don't know of too many Chevy Silverados that make it to 300k. I'm not saying Toyota's are perfect, but as history shows, they last...... Just my .02
I just talked to a guy last week that had 362K on a 2002 silverado, and know 2 others that have Suburbans with well over 200K. We took the 99 Suburban w/220k on an 1800 mile road trip with no problems. I drove it 80 mph down the interstate and it drove great. However I also talked to a guy that traded off his 2005 F150 after 2 years because the differentials had to be rebuilt twice and various other problems that cost 15 grand in warranty work.

As far as the noise blower motor goes on the Taco, I had the same problem on my 94 yota pick-up. So I don't think that is a problem exclusive to 2nd gens. I will admit that my 94 felt much more "stout" if you will, but the 2011 is overall a much nicer truck.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #40
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmgt View Post
I get it. The grass is always greener on the other side. My favorite paradox is that when we buy something expensive, we justify it to ourselves and others often, while tearing it a new one because 'it could be better.'

That paradox drives me crazy, because I feel it must be our strange human psychology.
I think the problem here is we all know what Toyota can do so why aren't they doing it. We aren't tearing into a new truck just because it is new and it cost X amount of dollars.