Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How can we know that 2nd gens are of lower quality

Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #161
Jason chairs is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
Jason chairs's Tacoma Gallery
everything breaks

You will be hard pressed to find a silverado board and if you do there are none with miles that tacos get I suggest you trade yours for your american dream then you will just then realize how good you had it. I work with all guys everyone of them has a truck and when I got mine they all said wow thats a nice truck they run forever. That is coming from chevy dodge and ford guys. I have owned a few different vehicles and this truck is hands down my favorite already I have only had it a couple of weeks now and will never go back to the dark side again.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #162
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont like your tacoma then sell it and get something else. Im sure that any truck you get you can find little things that not quite right. As stated previously toyota's track record for the real stuff (engines/drivetrain going on forever ect) speaks for itself. See how many miles you can put on a chevy or ford (in the same class as a tacoma) before it starts have major problems.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #163
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygabe View Post
Sure, so does http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...0/Reliability/

Consumer Reports has soured a little on Toyota's "quality" as a whole, and who's not saying that nowadays, but my first point was that every single time someone has an issue, they always just complain about it and "There's Toyota quality for 'ya! Theyre no better than [insert brand]", when it's more likely an isolated incident in most cases. Just responding to the knee-jerk reaction everyone has due to Toyota's supposed leading "quality", and their problems with it since.
Well yea of course. But that's what drives those surveys. The amount of people complaining. Sure the guy that just had something break is just angry and blowing off steam. But you got to count them up.

I like to use "carsurvey.org". Generally the more comments the worse the car is at quality or design. But you get to actually read the input and judge the validity of the complaint to the best of your ability. The forum kind of works too, but you don't get to compare across different years and models.

Also, some get a lot of comments just because they're popular among idiots or just sell so well. Focus has millions, but its just because they sold so many, statistically its a good car or whatever. Mini gets tons, but a lot of them are complimentary because it's a niche vehicle. Its good information, but you have to be a good judge of the writers character and intent.

My truck's got problems, serious debilitating problems. but, eh, what you gunna do, I don't let it get me down. Well, not having it for 3 weeks is a suck, but at least here I have an awesome dealer and service writer and available loaner, even if it is a camry.

At the same time I won't pull a big fanboy attitude and defend it like it's my retarded sister.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #164
mattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattygabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
Well yea of course. But that's what drives those surveys. The amount of people complaining. Sure the guy that just had something break is just angry and blowing off steam. But you got to count them up.

I like to use "carsurvey.org". Generally the more comments the worse the car is at quality or design. But you get to actually read the input and judge the validity of the complaint to the best of your ability. The forum kind of works too, but you don't get to compare across different years and models.

Also, some get a lot of comments just because they're popular among idiots or just sell so well. Focus has millions, but its just because they sold so many, statistically its a good car or whatever. Mini gets tons, but a lot of them are complimentary because it's a niche vehicle. Its good information, but you have to be a good judge of the writers character and intent.

My truck's got problems, serious debilitating problems. but, eh, what you gunna do, I don't let it get me down. Well, not having it for 3 weeks is a suck, but at least here I have an awesome dealer and service writer and available loaner, even if it is a camry.

At the same time I won't pull a big fanboy attitude and defend it like it's my retarded sister.
I gotcha, and I completely agree. TW being a specialty forum, it's definitely expected that people will almost always be either one extreme or the other, but I just get frustrated when people pull the "quality" card since it's been such a hot topic, and as we've seen on here, sometimes it's not even an issue of quality, but either they had the wrong expectations, or it was something they did.

And the retarded sister fanboys who say Toyota hasn't lost any are simply lying to themselves. Toyoda himself said a year ago that they've lost their way and began focusing on the wrong things. There were photos released in late 2009 that had acres (ACRES) of brand new Corollas and Camrys that Toyota had to pay to store somewhere because demand wasn't there. The same system that got them into the United States and almost single-handedly wrestled top market share from Detroit, and they abandon it for something eerily similar to what Detroit trained themselves to do. They broke their own rule to only make what is wanted, not what their shareholders demand, and they ended up with egg on their face.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #165
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
My 1st gen has front differential problems like many 2nd gen taco and current gen tundras..

My next truck will not be a toyota. In fact this probably my final toyota product.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #166
white cloud
white cloud is on a distinguished road
white cloud's Tacoma Gallery
i am on my 3rd taco. two gen1s and my 2011. i had the blower replaced and the spring tsb performed. i have had no other issues. this truck is great. i tow a utility trailer up really rough roads all the time (like to hunt) or a 22' travel trailer with no problems. i have two other cars. a 2007 miata and 2008 mustang gt. i love that mustang and enjoy driving it but i am here to tell you that compared to the toyota or the mazda the ford is a piece of crap. i would never consider an f150. is the gen2 as well made as the gen1s? no, but pretty damn close.