Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How can we know that 2nd gens are of lower quality

Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
How can we know that 2nd gens are of lower quality

when they have only been out since 2005? I am new around here and obviously have an '11. I am curious because it seems there are many threads that A) berate other truck makes or B) sell down the quality/reliability of the Trucks we have. Either we're schizophrenic or something is up

I do not understand how we would know the reliability/quality of these vehicles when they are not very old and therefore cannot have been put through the rigors (re: many years of use) of much older Tacomas/Toyota Pickups.

I get that some parts have changed and what not, but is there indisputable evidence suggesting these part changes resulted in lower quality or is it just cynical speculation?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
My twin brother has a 2010 Silverado. We mod our trucks together. We have both noticed how my Tacoma has really poor quality... where his Silverado has really great quality. The Tacoma is held together by plastic rivets... the Siilverado is mostly screws. The interior of the Silverado feels far nice, and the Tacoma feels like a commuter car.

Then theirs things like:

My passenger seat-belt will not work
The paint on the stock rims is chipping off
The tire lugs are too short for the lugnuts
The blower motor is loud even on low settings... his is quiet on full blast
The roof is tinny and sounds terrible in the rain

None of these problems we have noticed with his Silverado.

Our trucks were the same price new.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My issues:

1. Bluetooth stopped ringing when I get a call in my truck.
2. My blower fan squeaks.
3. My truck vibrates at anything more than 50% throttle from a stop.
4. Dash rattle
5. Noisy cabin on windy days

My uncle's 93 Camry would have never done any of that. I love my truck but seriously WTF is going on.

Common issues with 2nd gens:

1. Dash rattle
2. Drivetrain vibration
3. Ticking engine
4. Stereo problems
5. Blower motor noise
6. Electrical problems

Others can add anything I may have missed.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
I've had no issues with my truck.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Because the 1st gen trucks are known for being damn near unkillable, but the second gen trucks have had quite a few issues.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has been good so far but ur comparing a taco to a silverado when u should compare it to a Colorado ... But if ur not happy trade it in for a silverado
Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
These threads are always.....always.....idiotic.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
These threads area always.....always.....idiotic.
x2
Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
These threads area always.....always.....idiotic.
I did not ask what problems people have specifically... I asked HOW do we know that the truck overall is lower quality. Namely I want to know how we are able to speculate how long the truck will last (re: a user saying the 2nd gens 'couldn't last 20 years'), when the truck has at most been around for 6 years.

I realize the issues mentioned and I appreciate the feedback - I'd like it to remain fact-based, rather than armchair speculation, if you catch my drift.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmgt View Post
I realize the issues mentioned and I appreciate the feedback - I'd like it to remain fact-based, rather than armchair speculation, if you catch my drift.
Which is all you're going to get, so I'm wondering why you bothered...no one on here cares about facts, they just care about agreeing with each other.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
With more complicated trucks, comes the chances of more complications.

hell my first truck was preatty much engine, transmission, drivetrain.

now i have anti-lock, traction control, TPMS, computerized engine/transmission, etc.

But i still love it!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i too have heard many of the stated issues. Although, my basic ass reg cab doesnt have any bells and whistles to break. Great little truck, reminds me of my trucks of years ago that my father had.

Crank windows, manual locks, etc... still a little too modern for me like switch for the tcase rather than a lever and warn style hubs...

still, 35k on my 2010 and no issues what so ever....

cant speak on the fancier models
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did not ask what problems people have specifically... I asked HOW do we know that the truck overall is lower quality. Namely I want to know how we are able to speculate how long the truck will last (re: a user saying the 2nd gens 'couldn't last 20 years'), when the truck has at most been around for 6 years.

I guess the only way to really know is wait and see. But IMO all you have to do is look at Toyota's track record. I don't know of too many Chevy Silverados that make it to 300k. I'm not saying Toyota's are perfect, but as history shows, they last...... Just my .02
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
my 09 dc 4x4......no issues with 17k
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Which is all you're going to get, so I'm wondering why you bothered...no one on here cares about facts, they just care about agreeing with each other.
I'm irked that your two posts and a couple other members' posts have no intrinsic value. There has already been very useful information, in fact more useful than not, so if you don't mind, please watch the door on your way out unless you decide to contribute thoughtfully .

Thank you all for the information - I am very curious to know the actual issues/reasons for them behind the supposed lower reliability/quality of these trucks.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well People have those trucks with almost 200K and no problems. Considering that most users drives around 10K per year there is your 20 year estimate
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
With more complicated trucks, comes the chances of more complications.

hell my first truck was preatty much engine, transmission, drivetrain.

now i have anti-lock, traction control, TPMS, computerized engine/transmission, etc.

But i still love it!
This is exactly what I came in here to say.

Plus I'm sure years from now people will be saying how their 2nd gens are at 300,000+ miles and still running strong.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
None of the "fancy" stuff is having problems. It is just general truck issues.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
How about that resale .. In two years what truck will be worth more
Old 02-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm irked that your two posts and a couple other members' posts have no intrinsic value. There has already been very useful information, in fact more useful than not, so if you don't mind, please watch the door on your way out unless you decide to contribute thoughtfully .
Better get over it.

I could explain to you why all the information in this thread is flawed, but that might be useful, and I've decided not to, in this post anyway, just to spite you.