1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Using an Add a Circuit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by avengedkevinfold, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Feb 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    avengedkevinfold

avengedkevinfold [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Socal - OC - Huntington Beach
    bilstien 5100s all the way around, ICON progressive 3 leaf kit, Illegal tint, snuglid SL, seatbelt chime mod. light racing UCAs
    Hey guys, I am going to attempt to do the USB mod here.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/47366-my-usb-port-write-up.html

I like that I only need to take apart like two panels.

Anyways I am going to go to autozone and purchase an Add a circuit. I don't know how these things work. Do I need a certain one that is a certain voltage or what? I also have a prerunner. Does it matter what slot I put it in on the panel? What do all these numbers mean on the different colored plastic things? Should I put it in an empty slot or what? lol I know im a dumbass

[​IMG]

Am I going to have to buy a 20A Fuse as well?

Sorry for all the questions. I understand everything except for the wiring stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Feb 11, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    There are only 2 kinds of add a circuit. One for small fuses and one for the older style big fuses. You need the smaller one. Those colored things that you are referring to are fuses. The numbers indicate how many amps they are rated at. Yes, you will need the appropriate size fuse for whatever you are trying to feed power to. To figure out which one to replace with the add a circuit, you need to determine which ones have power on them with the switch if you want the component you are adding to be switched. Find a fuse that would only have power when the switch is on using your owners manual. The radio would be a good one that is switched.

3. Feb 11, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    avengedkevinfold

avengedkevinfold [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Socal - OC - Huntington Beach
    bilstien 5100s all the way around, ICON progressive 3 leaf kit, Illegal tint, snuglid SL, seatbelt chime mod. light racing UCAs
    Thanks for the explanation. I am going to take a typical cigarette lighter to USB converter and disassemble it. And then plug it into the wire that hooks up to the Add a circuit. What size fuse would I need for this?

4. Feb 12, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    The "add a circuit" adapters are cheap enough that you should buy a few in each size while you are at the parts store...... they are always great to have on hand.

In my 08, I actually used one of each size for my mods depending on which fuse block I tapped into.

5. Feb 12, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does your USB converter specify how much maximum current it uses?

If it doesn't, I'd look at the power wire size and use a fuse that is at or less than the maximum current rating for the wire size. (The power wire inside the adapter is probably the smallest part of the power circuit; always go by the smallest wire gauge in the circuit.)

USB 2.0 ports allow a maximum current draw of a half amp per outlet, which means about 2.5 watts. At 12 volts, 2.5 watts draws less than a quarter amp. Assuming some overhead for the electronics inside the USB adapter, I would figure a 3 amp fuse would be completely adequate.

I would still check the power wire size inside the adapter to make sure 3 amps wasn't too much for the wire.

Products Discussed in

To Top