1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS was gone for unknown reason - truck end up in snow bank

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BlueT, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Feb 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    i dont know where you heard that but that is untrue in my 05. last couple weeks here in dallas we have had ice on the roads and whenever i am in the alley going 5-10mph abs WILL engage. when ever my front tires went over an ice patch i hit the breaks and abs would kick on.

in my expirence abs on this truck in the ice is just plain out dangerous.
    when ever i had to stop on the ice if u touched the breaks hardly at all the abs will kick on and its like the breaks arnt on at all, you just keep on rolling and there is nothing you can do about it

2. Feb 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Sorry, but :

1. your from texas, you have no idea on how to drive on ice and snow

2. you havent been driving long enough to know better

3. thats the point of abs, you are in better control AS your are rolling.

when you have had the experence of having your vehicle doing 360's

down a ice covered road, then you would appreaciate being able to roll through instead!!

3. Feb 14, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    We live with icy roads up here on the mountain most of the winter...our access road has been ice bound since early December.

Bridgestone Blizzaks work, as do Firestone Winterforce UV with studs and Goodyear Duratrac with studs.

The stock Dunlop AT20, not so much.

Howard

4. Feb 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    i completly agree just thought id put my worthless $.02 in :D

and in reply...
    this is on I-35 in between dalllas and austin
    [​IMG]

5. Feb 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    1. Believe it or not it snows in Texas. So please do not generalize that everyone in Texas does not know how to drive in icy or snowy conditions..

2. It shouldn't matter how long, or how old you are when it comes to driving in the snow- all that matters is that you use your common sense when driving in icy conditions.

3. If you're experienced enough when driving on the ice or in the snow you shouldn't have to come to the point of doing a 360 in your vehicle..

Just my 2 cents on that..

6. Feb 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    BTT - I didn't say texans,

But you did just prove my point.

Achirdo - Love the photo!!

7. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'll take slowly rolling tires over intermittently locking tires on snow any day .

8. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    BlueT

BlueT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    First I would love to buy new car with none of those electronics. Not sure why people pointing to buying old cars. Problem with old cars is there are no parts to make them into like new condition, so your advices are stupid. Unless you know where I can buy 1960 car that never was used. I would love to get Old Land Cruiser with 0 miles. I am pretty sure there is more people like me who would love to get their hands on old school vehicles with no mileage and no wear.

Now ABS. I drove cars before ABS was developed and had no problems driving in winters that would make this year one look like summer. I drove in winters that had so much ice that you could rotate a 3000 lb car, 180 degrees, with just one hand. When ABS came out it was advertised as the system for the retards that suck at driving. Supposedly Some people have condition that screws up their inner ear balance receptors. :rolleyes:
    But of course it was easier to push ABS onto everybody. First you was able to easily turn off ABS, then ABS at least would shutoff when you went into 4x4. Now that crappy system is like cancer.

Personally I could not care less if that system is On or OFF. I drive like I dont have one. And on my last car I had my ABS fuse removed for 7 years. That's right 7 years I drove with no ABS with out single scratch to the car.

The only reason why I started this thread is that I found it curious that system can shut off itself with out displaying error.

I think some of you are terrified of posibility that this could happen in your car and since you are so depended on ABS you will end up kissing tree. I bet that happens more often, just look at so many new trucks rolled/crushed. All those electronic systems did not save those trucks.
    OR
    Maybe those electronic systems where OFF like in my case with out leaving any error behind.

9. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    HogTaco

HogTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 2.7 2WD AT
    Bed Mat, OEM Running Boards, Ultra-Gauge.
    It seems to me, in this example, that the result would have been the same for the same vehicle without ABS, e.g., four wheels locked up still equals sliding into a snowbank. Manually pumping the brakes in a zero-traction environment wouldn't make a difference.

10. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    find me old car with 0 miles on it.:rolleyes:

11. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Duh.

But when trying to slow to a stop on snow , at least the moisture laden type we get here , the locked tire portion of the ABS pulse is counterproductive .

12. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    How about I buy parts give $1000 and you do it for me over a weekend because obviously you have mechanic shop and lots of free time on your hand. :rolleyes:
    or better you buy LC do al l the work and parts then sell me for the original price.
    FJ60-FJ62 pick one of them...

13. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    YEa, I got you're ABS right here..

down shifting and 4x4. Since the conditions are bad, I'm barely moving anyway. Abs on the rear, only because its a pickup truck and wasn't designed to drive empty.

And ha, it snows in texas.. Yea.. sometimes it lingers for hours.. several times a decade. At least up by abilene.

14. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    Dhk stop argueing with everyone about everything. Your points arnt even valid. Your the dumbass that thinks you can tow 7000lbs with the 4 banger. Anything you say is already discredited

15. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    You obviously missed the part of old vehicle with 0 miles.
    That is only look a like of FJ40.
    Again Find me original showroom condition old car with 0 miles on it for the price it was sold.
    You can have best shop and you will have problems getting original parts. I am waiting 4 months for original bolts for my LC. :D

BTW that thread officially went to craps.

16. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    What for? you can use paper clip to read any codes out of Skid control ECU
    Plus wife says its working fine (aka kicks in) and there are no errors so if ABS does anything stupid again I am just gonna pull fuse on it. :D

One item I find interesting Toyota in FSM acknowledges that Skid ECU can hang :D so that is probably what happened. Maybe moisture caused voltage drop or something like that. If it happens again I will go through whole troubleshooting procedure from FSM.

17. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I can never figure out if you are agreeing with me or not .

On snow , I do shift down , control speed with the transmission vs braking .

18. Feb 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for enlightening me that a truck with brakes will stop better than a truck without brakes .

19. Feb 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    I'm more or less agreeing with you. That abs is not needed. Rarely wanted.

I did have trouble stopping my old tacoma using the "down shifting" Unlocked my hubs leaving denver. Ran into a snow storm on a huge downhill. Got super slick and I had trouble stopping. Down shifting even to 4th was stopping my tire rotation. BuT.. I was going too fast for conditions, but they snuck up on me. So far the only time I ever wanted abs.

Haven't rear ended anyone yet, but wife has due to anti stop brakes, and I've come close.
    Nothing like hammering the brakes only to have them reply "no, you don't want to stop that fast" But that's dry pavement.

20. Feb 15, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    I just farted. That being said this thread has proved it's usefulness.:locked:

Products Discussed in

To Top