LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brilliant! Listened to Recommendations. Satoshi Grill Horn Relocation w/ Lots a Pics

Old 02-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Brilliant! Listened to Recommendations. Satoshi Grill Horn Relocation w/ Lots a Pics

1st, Thanks to w8n4mud (link to his post & pic) and chris4x4 (link to his post & pic) for their Posts about the best location for the horns.
From another "Satoshi Horn" Tread, Here

You can also see my Satoshi Grill Separate Letter Emblem Write-Up, Here

Also added My Backspacing/Offset Drawings in the "Wheel & Tires" forum

And my only use for Plastidip, so far

Standard Disclaimer: Don't damage your vehicle, I'm not responsible.
This Write-Up is just how I did it.
Please Post any questions here, rather than PM Me.

After looking it over, I saw that I could reroute the Horn/Temp Sensor Harness.
This is a very easy mod, with the exception of fitting your finger where they don't fit

1st Unplug Horns and Temp Sensor (if applicable).
Pop as many fasteners as needed to lift plastic off the top of the radiator
Pull Wiring Harness backwards, unsecuring where necessary, until it's behind driver's headlight.

I marked the harness in some of the photos
Reroute Plugs and Harness (marked red) thru lowest hole in metal surrounding radiator (driver's side). Viewed from behind headlight

EDIT: CAUTION: Please note the following
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08PRELB View Post
The "unknown" part in the second pic is the air bag sensor that deploys the air bags if you get in an accident.
That being said you should take extra care when handling this piece.
Thank You Adam for Decreasing my Ignorance a little and watching out for all of Us.
That was an Epic Fail on my part.
I should have started that thread and asked the dumb question

To clarify "Removal": I removed one or both screws to shift the AIRBAG SENSOR, just enough to get the Horn Plugs thru.
I DID NOT Disconnect, ManHandle or Hammer on the AIRBAG SENSOR at any time!

The rest viewed from in front of the radiator with Grill removed
Removal of part, circled in photo (AIRBAG SENSOR), will be necessary to get the plugs thru.
I was gonna start a thread, asking one of those dumb questions, "What's this part ???"
But I figure someone here's gonna tell me.
So to continue, Loosen and Shift the unknown part (AIRBAG SENSOR), circled in the picture.
Resecure the Airbag Sensor after feeding the Horn/Temps Sensor Plugs and harness thru.

Route below Tranny Cooler and cable tie where convenient.

Sorry, been a while. Looking at my pictures, I believe I used Stainless 3/8-16 x 3/4" or 1" Bolts and Nylocks (Nylon Insert Nuts) with Flat and Heavy Fender Washers.
Alternative is to use Nuts and Lock Washers, but putting both on will be tough. You'll understand later.
The hardest part of the Job is getting fingers and wrench behind metal cross member to start and tighten the nuts.
Fender Washers, both in front and behind metal
Any large nuts and bolts will do
Mount Horns from front: Bolt, Flat Washer, Horn, Fender Washer, thru Slotted Hole in Metal, Fender Washer, NyLock.
I used the two equally spaced slotted holes closest to center.
Don't forget to plug in the Horns

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Also, one thing to maybe add to your original post would be mentioning that it's important to have metal on both sides of the radiator support when remounting the horn bracket or you'll have no horns. I had some nylon washers laying around and used them for the back side - no horns. Tried a metal washer instead of the nylon, now I have horns again

Both Horns as viewed thru REMOVED Grill

Continue the Harness past the Horn location for the Temp Sensor.
The Harness just reached an existing Slotted Hole
After plugged in, the Temp Sensor snapped right into an existing hole on passenger's side.

Side View from Passenger's Side

Viewed thru Lower Grill.
Once Grill installed and hood closed, you don't see them.
I was going to Mesh my Lower Grill anyway

Look Ma, No Horns

Finished
Link to Emblem Write-Up Here or in My Sig

Hope this is helpful
Happy Modding and Enjoy your Tacoma

CC
Old 02-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks I'm relocating the 2morro
Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great man! Great write up! Gonna do this tomorrow for sure!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
OUTSTANDING write up

great job with the pictures
Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Don't Tread On Me
08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of08PRELB has much to be proud of

Navy: US NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC
Name: Adam
08PRELB's Tacoma Gallery
The "unknown" part in the second pic is the air bag sensor that deploys the air bags if you get in an accident. That being said you should take extra care when handling this piece. Other than that good write up and I will be doing this soon!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
OUTSTANDING write up
great job with the pictures
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post
Very nice
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08PRELB View Post
The "unknown" part in the second pic is the air bag sensor that deploys the air bags if you get in an accident. That being said you should take extra care when handling this piece. Other than that good write up and I will be doing this soon!
Thank You Adam for Decreasing my Ignorance a little and watching out for all of Us.
That was an Epic Fail on my part.
I should have started that thread and asked the dumb question.
Have Edited the OP reflecting that information
Thanks again

CC
Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
typically yellow connectors mean SRS system. i know that the unknown part being SRS was already mentioned, but i'm just saying, generally, interior/exterior that rule applies.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Great write-up! Looks like a nice job for my 14 year old and his straw like fingers
Old 02-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #11
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
I just threw the airbag sensor away...

lol jk jk... thanks for the write up dude. I will be doing this once it warms up.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
On my list of mods now , thanks for the write-up .
Old 02-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
typically yellow connectors mean SRS system. i know that the unknown part being SRS was already mentioned, but i'm just saying, generally, interior/exterior that rule applies.
I now remember reading that somewhere, but it wasn't relevant at the time, so I guess it didn't register.
It's in the Memory Banks now, won't forget that information again.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
Great write-up! Looks like a nice job for my 14 year old and his straw like fingers
Thanks.
So there is a reason to have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I just threw the airbag sensor away...
lol jk jk... thanks for the write up dude. I will be doing this once it warms up.
Thanks, I'm with ya on the warm weather.
I have a warm weather list.
Above pictures were taken early last fall.
Just got around to the Write-Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
On my list of mods now , thanks for the write-up .
Glad to be of help. You must have the weather issue too, though.

CC
Old 05-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Sapper Six is a splendid one to beholdSapper Six is a splendid one to beholdSapper Six is a splendid one to beholdSapper Six is a splendid one to beholdSapper Six is a splendid one to beholdSapper Six is a splendid one to beholdSapper Six is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Sapper Six's Tacoma Gallery
Outstanding how-to! Thanks for taking the time to do this for us man.

I just did it now, went off without a hitch. You were right, for anyone but small children with tiny hands, re-mounting the horns was tricky with getting fingers back there to put the washers and nuts in place.

Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
jb3pin is on a distinguished road
jb3pin's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up, thanks. I managed to thread the horn and temp sensor wires through a passage above the airbag sensor which eliminated any need to touch it altogether.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #16
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper Six View Post
Outstanding how-to! Thanks for taking the time to do this for us man.

I just did it now, went off without a hitch. You were right, for anyone but small children with tiny hands, re-mounting the horns was tricky with getting fingers back there to put the washers and nuts in place.

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3pin View Post
Nice write up, thanks. I managed to thread the horn and temp sensor wires through a passage above the airbag sensor which eliminated any need to touch it altogether.
Thanks Guys, and Your Welcome.
Don't remember why I went with the lowest opening.

CC
Old 08-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
primer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: T
primer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the great write up. Rep to you. I did this finally today.

As noted above - routing the harness through the other hole means you don't have to touch the SRS sensor.

I also just used two existing bolts for the support bars down there to mount the horns. The spacing isn't quite right - so I pulled some of the wire for the temp sensor out of the loom and extended the wire between the two horns. Just soldered a few inches of wire in. But it was very easy to do.

If you do this don't forget to get some high temp paint and paint your AC condenser while you're at it. Now I am Satoshi ready. Just have to finish the actual grill...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #19
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer View Post
Thanks for the great write up. Rep to you. I did this finally today.

As noted above - routing the harness through the other hole means you don't have to touch the SRS sensor.

I also just used two existing bolts for the support bars down there to mount the horns. The spacing isn't quite right - so I pulled some of the wire for the temp sensor out of the loom and extended the wire between the two horns. Just soldered a few inches of wire in. But it was very easy to do.

If you do this don't forget to get some high temp paint and paint your AC condenser while you're at it. Now I am Satoshi ready. Just have to finish the actual grill...
Thanks, Glad to be of Service
Lookin' forward to Pics of Satoshi
They're a lot of work, but worth it IMO

CC
Old 10-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Since you said to post here instead of PMing you, I'm reviving this thread (sorry all)

In the pic from what you posted above, I circled 2 parts:
#1. shows where I can pull the temp sensor to - this is the farthest point I can pull it after rerouting it through the SRS sensor hole. I cut every fastener I could find behind the headlight, but it's still not as much slack as what you're showing in your picture.
#2. shows the nut I used to mount one of the horns

So as it stands right now, I'm running one horn (one better than none, I guess)