Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hella Supertones (pics and sound)

Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Hella Supertones (pics and sound)

i used the existing upper condenser bracket bolts to mount the horns. i wanted to do what KPT did with his installation but couldn't get corner brackets that would work with the holes he used. no matter because this worked out perfectly.

this installation took me about 4X as long as it should have. i used a bunch of terminals that i harvested from a box of various harnesses i had in a box that i finally sorted a while back to make my wife happy. that meant that every connector involved a soldered and shrink splice, which took a while! every connection is soldered with shrink, plus tape and loom where applicable to make it appear factory. the spade connectors have shrink over them for protection and i also used dielectric grease on all terminals. i found two holes in the side of the engine bay that worked perfectly with two metric fine thread stainless bolts i had, so i mounted the relay and fuse holder there. great because i refused to drill for a horn installation. keep in mind the Supertone kit comes with the horns, a relay and instruction sheet. no wiring or anything else.

the video doesn't pick up the bass of the low tone horn. trust me it's there. SO loud and obnoxious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDUfXfnO34o

Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Work! I'm sure much louder in person...

I say pop the horn grill's off and paint them black for more hidden look
Old 02-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
I like ze best!
Rhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rhino8541's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet! Might try these.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks for the comments.

Cape Codder i can see that, haha. i like them because they do not blend in with the normal honking you hear while driving. no matter what, it gets their attention and they look. today i was standing in front of the truck tonight ath the beach facing the grille and my wife honked the horn. my ears had that pressure feeling like when you get too close to a concert speaker.

hey, anyone know why my video is just showing up as a hyperlink? it's weird, i can't get it to show up as the normal picture-like screen with the play button on it.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
thanks for the comments.

Cape Codder i can see that, haha. i like them because they do not blend in with the normal honking you hear while driving. no matter what, it gets their attention and they look.................
hey, anyone know why my video is just showing up as a hyperlink? it's weird, i can't get it to show up as the normal picture-like screen with the play button on it.
I've been around Ocean NJ some, there's Little to No "Normal Honking" to blend in with, Just Sayin'.
You must travel to the big city.
Don't have the answer to the Video, wish I could help ya.
Make good use of them Hellas, I'll be hearin' ya from the Cape
Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice I like how you did the install without using the brackets. Can we get a shot of straight on to see how well you can see them behind the grill and how far apart they are spaced?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Nice I like how you did the install without using the brackets. Can we get a shot of straight on to see how well you can see them behind the grill and how far apart they are spaced?

and they can be moved closer together if need be, or the other way too, since i have them hanging straight down.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
I've had 'em on my Solara for years and like 'em.
Too Euro for my Tacoma, though.
Not truck horns IMO, but they will hear ya
They're loud as hell

Edit: BTW, Nice Truck

DUDE!!!! my father used to have one like this.
Renault Dauphine or Gordini.. great memories..
Sorry for the .
Nice horns BTW, I,ve been wanting to install some of thos for a long time..
But I don't know how to wire them.. OP, Do you have a drawing for the wiring ??

Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltano View Post
DUDE!!!! my father used to have one like this.
Renault Dauphine or Gordini.. great memories..

Nice horns BTW, I,ve been wanting to install some of thos for a long time..
But I don't know how to wire them.. OP, Do you have a drawing for the wiring ??

Thanks
You got it: Renault Dauphine
Though they recommend a relay, due to the added amperage,
I just replaced the stock horns on my Solara, for what it's worth.

CC
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
OP, Do you have a drawing for the wiring ??

Thanks
i could scan or take a photo of the various wiring diagrams - it depends on how the OE horns are activated, but for the tacoma, it's simple:

horn "positive" goes to the Hella relay, fused positive goes to the relay, ground goes to the relay, and then a wire comes from the relay to the horns - they both share it. Then you simply ground each horn.

The positive signal from the OE horn wire clicks the relay, which sends the fused power wire power to the Supertones. Simple. I just went overboard and did it as the factory would do it, and also used recycled parts to do it, hence the long installation time.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
not bad for some fairly cheap horns. I've always wondered what they sound like. I'm planning on doing some train horns when I get around to doing an on board air set up, but thats a whole different story

Where is "near the ocean" since i'm from ocean

have you introduced yourself in the NJ thread?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
asolo is on a distinguished road
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
Installed the Hella Supertones today. Took about 2 hours since I needed some shrink tubing, black looming, and black zip ties. Did the same install as the OP and MAN are those things LOUD!

Thanks for posting
Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

michaelg589's Tacoma Gallery
Hornblasters FTW! I want air horns so bad.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=619X5...eature=channel
Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolo View Post
Installed the Hella Supertones today. Took about 2 hours since I needed some shrink tubing, black looming, and black zip ties. Did the same install as the OP and MAN are those things LOUD!

Thanks for posting
nice dude.

yeah the videos can't pick up how loud they really are.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #18
ALTEC 914
Altec914 is on a distinguished road
Altec914's Tacoma Gallery
Try a set of Italian red air horns. Much louder
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
i could scan or take a photo of the various wiring diagrams - it depends on how the OE horns are activated, but for the tacoma, it's simple:

horn "positive" goes to the Hella relay, fused positive goes to the relay, ground goes to the relay, and then a wire comes from the relay to the horns - they both share it. Then you simply ground each horn.

The positive signal from the OE horn wire clicks the relay, which sends the fused power wire power to the Supertones. Simple. I just went overboard and did it as the factory would do it, and also used recycled parts to do it, hence the long installation time.
Thanks, but all this, looked like this to me:

the tacoma, it's simple:
彼らは両方の共有すること - ホーンは"肯定的"というのは、地面が、リレーになった後、線がホーンにリレーから来ているリレーに行く融 合、Hellaのリレーになります。その後、簡単に各ホーンを接地してください。送信リレーOEの角線をク リックから肯定的な信号

Thanks anyway
Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
MiG-21 superfan

Quote:
Thanks, but all this, looked like this to me:

the tacoma, it's simple:
彼らは両方の共有すること - ホーンは"肯定的"というのは、地面が、リレーになった後、線がホーンにリレーから来ているリレーに行く融 合、Hellaのリレーになります。その後、簡単に各ホーンを接地してください。送信リレーOEの角線をク リックから肯定的な信号

Thanks anyway
really? that is surprising. not to insult you, but if that was confusing, you might want to consider having someone install them for you.

here is the instruction sheet i found via google images. you would be using "2b" for your wiring.