Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneau thoughts/impressions

Old 02-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau thoughts/impressions

So I finally got my tonneau back from the body shop.
It is the Undercover SE Smooth, yes the one that needs to be painted.
I am very happy with it. Install was a breeze. It actually was identical to the pictures in the manual, and no adjustments were needed. Measurements were exact too.

I know several of you have the SE and are happy with it, but I wanted to add my 2 cents on the Smooth as well. One has to factor in paint costs which run between 3-400 dollars depending on the shop.
The only irregularity was the main brackets on the cab side were actually shaped different than the instructions showed. No big deal as everything still fit fine. The locking mechanism works great.

One downside is that you can only use the rail tie downs cab side of the piston bracket. Towards the rear side rails they hit the piston and it won't close. That was the only real downside as most people suggested the tie downs will work after install (technically they do I guess, just not over the entire rail system).

I would really recommend this cover. To me having a paint match was important so it was worth the extra money. Post install pics...

The open pictures are obviously when I got it home, dirty because of the initial drive. Once it was cleaned up it looked great. The jumper cables were just thrown in there to test the rail tie downs.
Attached Thumbnails
Tonneau thoughts/impressions-img_0733.jpg   Tonneau thoughts/impressions-img_0722.jpg   Tonneau thoughts/impressions-img_0720.jpg   Tonneau thoughts/impressions-img_0732.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
looks sharp!!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
redezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant futureredezman has a brilliant future

Name: Charles
redezman's Tacoma Gallery
cool looking man
Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Looks really good! I went with a fold up one but yours looks awesome.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yah I considered the foldup. It looked fine but I wanted the security of the fixed size, and also the color matching. A lot of people in my area have the Undercover SE, which influenced my decision for sure.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
nice cover..........i got the other undercover and love it. didnt know they had a smooth one or i mighta went that route. if ya dont mind me askin that net in your bed,where did you get it? im lookin for one like that to hold down some of my stuff since the bed is so slick.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #7

I got the netting on ebay. it was from a cadillac but since those things are big vehicles, I figured it would meet my needs.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You are getting good use out of that hanging tennis ball.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #9

Got any better ideas? It is simple and works.....Plus the price was right.
Just hope the neighbors dog isn't too pissed I took it.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great! I called a couple of places a few weeks back to check prices for the undercover smooth. Those pics make me want it even more.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Ivanhoe is on a distinguished road
Ivanhoe's Tacoma Gallery
Looks very good. If you have a chance could you give me the height measurement when the cover is in the "up" position at its highest point to the bed?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #12

When up it is 45 inches from the bed, just measured...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
Ivanhoe is on a distinguished road
Ivanhoe's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks - I appreciate it! I have to haul my garbage cans down to our trash bin each week and wanted to make sure they would still fit on the back of the bed/tailgate. I know that it is not recommended to drive in the up position but It's not a long distance and I go fairly slow.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
lbt12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
lbt12's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Tonneau

Nice looking...I prefer that type but could not do it since I haul snowblower and lawnmower....rollup type sealing via velcro works just great for me and I deal with the lack of security

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebottomline View Post
So I finally got my tonneau back from the body shop.
It is the Undercover SE Smooth, yes the one that needs to be painted.
I am very happy with it. Install was a breeze. It actually was identical to the pictures in the manual, and no adjustments were needed. Measurements were exact too.

I know several of you have the SE and are happy with it, but I wanted to add my 2 cents on the Smooth as well. One has to factor in paint costs which run between 3-400 dollars depending on the shop.
The only irregularity was the main brackets on the cab side were actually shaped different than the instructions showed. No big deal as everything still fit fine. The locking mechanism works great.

One downside is that you can only use the rail tie downs cab side of the piston bracket. Towards the rear side rails they hit the piston and it won't close. That was the only real downside as most people suggested the tie downs will work after install (technically they do I guess, just not over the entire rail system).

I would really recommend this cover. To me having a paint match was important so it was worth the extra money. Post install pics...

The open pictures are obviously when I got it home, dirty because of the initial drive. Once it was cleaned up it looked great. The jumper cables were just thrown in there to test the rail tie downs.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #15
2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2chains's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking cover, I'm looking for a tonneau for my LB BSP. Any chance |I could get a picture zoomed out of the whole side of the truck?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #16

I will get a picture on the next nice day. The weather has been terrible here lately.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #17
JTN757 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JTN757's Tacoma Gallery
Just had a Roll N Lock installed on my 2011 DC...it is great. Not only is it the most versitile cover available, but it also takes care of the tailgate theft problem and the storage cubby lid lack of security. Plus, I got the Cargo Manager, so no more having stuff bouncing around in the bed.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #18
TacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGirl09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Amanda
TacomaGirl09's Tacoma Gallery
I'm considering getting a cover but wasn't sure which one, and after seeing those pics, you have made my mind up for me. Looks great!!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #19
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You are getting good use out of that hanging tennis ball.
I have to chime in on this. I have done the tennis ball trick, in fact, still haven't taken it down yet. I had it for my Dodge Ram quad cab that I traded from, and I had to have it to park in the garage. I had to get within 1 inch to the wall and that left me with another inch from the back bumper to close the door. It was a life saver. Part of the reason I traded for the short bed. The long bed was barely any shorter than the Ram.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #20
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, the cover looks great! Had the Under Cover on my Ram. It was a love/hate relationship. Loved the cover, water tight and lockable. But there would come the time when I needed to haul and didn't have anyone to help me remove it. Comes off in just a couple of minutes, but on the Ram it was too big and truck set too high to handle it by myself. So I am leaning towards a soft toneau this time.