1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

traction control 09 tacoma ??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by beacher, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    beacher

beacher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TACOMA 4x4
    2" spacer lift in front end bf goodrich allterrain tires custom exhaust system tinted windows smelly interior
    does anyone out there know how to disable the traction control for good?.. I have an o9 taco 4x4 no trd. just the reg access cab. everytime i want to do a fishtail or a doughnut i can never succeed because of the damn trac control. even if i shut it off it will only stay off for a short time. it helps when in the snow sometimes , but sometimes you just need that extra mmmfff in the mud or on the beach if u come close to gettting stuck. i had a 99 tacoma and i could always have fun ,always being able to tear it up out there a bit. now that i have the 09 it feels like i cant have as much fun with it on the beach or whatever or just in general. is there anyway to just disconnect it for good? ..not being able to burnout daily is a big challenge for me.. and when in 4 wheel u cant shut it off at all. im considering trading my 09 in for an 02 or something that doesnt have trac conrtol , i dont like all this fancy computer Sh** on my truck. I mean cmon its a truck not an old ladies car.
    thanks for reading.

2. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Probably best to trade it in for an older vehicle without all of those safety features on it.

3. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    beacher

beacher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TACOMA 4x4
    2" spacer lift in front end bf goodrich allterrain tires custom exhaust system tinted windows smelly interior
    dont have rear diff locker. can i do it without disabling the ABS?

4. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    Eman5pt0

Eman5pt0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    NY
    yea keeping it off all the time wont be a good idea, if you ever need it and you have it off ... your F*C@KED

5. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    stop driving like a reckless idiot.

6. Feb 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    What the hell is the fun in that?

7. Feb 13, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    My 08 doesn't have al that bullshit.

The only traction control thing it has is ABS.

8. Feb 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    What Christian says...

You hold the VSC OFF switch in for a few seconds WHILE STOPPED... in H2 or H4 and the VSC and TRAC are both disabled! Yes VSC lurks and will come on ONLY in the last moment to keep you from spinning out of control.

Finally, L4 (Low Range) has NO traction control/ VSC or ABS... Knock yourself out!

Toyota increased the off road performance with the limited slip TRAC and vehicle safety with VSC... You should really get to enjoy a truck that in H4 can go more places than in L4 because of TRAC... and won't spin-out on a slippery road they way empty pickups always like to do. I am on Tacoma #3, and the first one with the gizmos... and I have found them to make the truck superior to the way it was before... and it was pretty good before!

9. Feb 13, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    I have to agree with you on this. It should all be optional not standard. I'm so happy my 07 doesn't have any of that junk. You should be able to control your truck not the computers.

If you want install a mechanical LSD in the rear end and you'll have that crap kick on less if at all.

10. Feb 14, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    and if the driver isn't highly skilled?

I am skilled, and enjoy the traction improvements over the previous two Tacomas I had. The VSC also lets the truck drive on slick roads like it is in 4WD, while in 2WD... it works.

The VSC can be disabled... what is it with having the option to yurn it off that is so hard to understand here? It will only come back on if you do something so stupid that the truck is about to get wrecked... and wouldn't you want to avoid that? Also, AUTO LSD mode keeps the VSC off under 30 mph.

11. Feb 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    So is it off or in sleeping mode. If something is OFF then it should not come back until driver explicitly Turns ON.
    Under 30 mph limit ?? Thats stupid.
    dhk is right. Population gets more stupid and overconfident as new systems are introduced. For almost 200 years of motorization no electronic systems were needed. Now every one needs traction control so he/she can do hair, makeup, iphone conversation and get latte injection during the driving. Then winter comes in with 2 inches of snow and whole highway throttles down to 3 MPH
    :facepalm:
    Its just plain stupid.

12. Feb 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    After reading this thread many people would assume I was a total idiot. I waited until the Tacoma had all the electronics before buying one. I bought my '09 in October '08.

It doesn't do good donuts but my 5 lug will pull my Carolina Skiff up a wet, weed-slimed ramp with the LSD, drive me out of a muddy ditch with the traction control, stop me in the rain without the back end stepping out with the ABS, help me stay in my lane driving over the Skyway Bridge when the high wind warnings are flashing with the VSC and protect me with a bunch of airbags when that snowbird crosses the median and ruins my day. I'll take idiocy any day.

13. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Yep (to the above couple of replies)!

14. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    Thats why I got the 08 with the V6 instead of the 09 with the I4.

15. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    smurf taco

smurf taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hobe Sound, Fl
    Vehicle:
    speedway blue 09 prerunner sport 2wd
    brite ass led headlights and fogs, fuel hostage wheels, mellow tone dual exhaust, black westin bull bar, go rhino nerf bars, toyota neoprene black and blue seat covers, image dynamics door speakers all around, Bilsteins 5100s all around set at 0 with maxtrac spindles and eibach coils and total chaos UCAs with OCtaco brakelines all around and all pro expo leafs in the rear running 295/70/17 cooper ST Maxx, cobra cb radio w/ 3ft fire stik, bed lights, jvc double din head unit, AC in cab mod, AFE CAI...more mods to come
    dont dog out an 09 tacoma just buy a mud truck for cheap

16. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I agree. I love the old 180* donut in the snow... useful and makes you look super badass (I suppose I now sound like the punk ass 17 year old dipshit I really am... :cool: )

17. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    dimitrik

dimitrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD-Offroad
    AllPro Skidplate
    Well When i hold the button for a while it completely shuts off.

18. Feb 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    They have taken a lot of the fun out of driving. And a lot of people's skill is poor due to it.

BUT, federal law dictates asc and tc now.

19. Feb 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    My Dad is 74. He says the same things about them new fangelled computers and email and such. lol
    When 2" of snow bogs the roads down, it's because people don't have vsc. For almost 200 years of motorization we have been inventing new technology and options for our vehicles. I remember when you had to work your own windshield wipers intermitently, thats when we new how to drive. ahh,,,, the good old days

20. Feb 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    can you turn off enough to do sideways driving in these things? Reliably that is. I don't need asm telling me to go straight when I'm lining up a sweet drift.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top