Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

traction control 09 tacoma ??

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
beacher is on a distinguished road
beacher's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down traction control 09 tacoma ??

does anyone out there know how to disable the traction control for good?.. I have an o9 taco 4x4 no trd. just the reg access cab. everytime i want to do a fishtail or a doughnut i can never succeed because of the damn trac control. even if i shut it off it will only stay off for a short time. it helps when in the snow sometimes , but sometimes you just need that extra mmmfff in the mud or on the beach if u come close to gettting stuck. i had a 99 tacoma and i could always have fun ,always being able to tear it up out there a bit. now that i have the 09 it feels like i cant have as much fun with it on the beach or whatever or just in general. is there anyway to just disconnect it for good? ..not being able to burnout daily is a big challenge for me.. and when in 4 wheel u cant shut it off at all. im considering trading my 09 in for an 02 or something that doesnt have trac conrtol , i dont like all this fancy computer Sh** on my truck. I mean cmon its a truck not an old ladies car.
thanks for reading.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Probably best to trade it in for an older vehicle without all of those safety features on it.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
beacher is on a distinguished road
beacher's Tacoma Gallery
dont have rear diff locker. can i do it without disabling the ABS?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Eman5pt0 has a spectacular aura aboutEman5pt0 has a spectacular aura about
Name: E
Eman5pt0's Tacoma Gallery
yea keeping it off all the time wont be a good idea, if you ever need it and you have it off ... your F*C@KED

Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
stop driving like a reckless idiot.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWtacoma View Post
Yeah pretty much.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWtacoma View Post
What the hell is the fun in that?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beacher View Post
does anyone out there know how to disable the traction control for good?.. I have an o9 taco 4x4 no trd. just the reg access cab. everytime i want to do a fishtail or a doughnut i can never succeed because of the damn trac control. even if i shut it off it will only stay off for a short time. it helps when in the snow sometimes , but sometimes you just need that extra mmmfff in the mud or on the beach if u come close to gettting stuck. i had a 99 tacoma and i could always have fun ,always being able to tear it up out there a bit. now that i have the 09 it feels like i cant have as much fun with it on the beach or whatever or just in general. is there anyway to just disconnect it for good? ..not being able to burnout daily is a big challenge for me.. and when in 4 wheel u cant shut it off at all. im considering trading my 09 in for an 02 or something that doesnt have trac conrtol , i dont like all this fancy computer Sh** on my truck. I mean cmon its a truck not an old ladies car.
thanks for reading.
My 08 doesn't have al that bullshit.

The only traction control thing it has is ABS.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sounds like user error. When you push and hold the vsc button while stopped it turns off for good but it lurks. If the yaw sensor sees that certain angles are too great it will kick vsc back in.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
What Christian says...

You hold the VSC OFF switch in for a few seconds WHILE STOPPED... in H2 or H4 and the VSC and TRAC are both disabled! Yes VSC lurks and will come on ONLY in the last moment to keep you from spinning out of control.

Finally, L4 (Low Range) has NO traction control/ VSC or ABS... Knock yourself out!

Toyota increased the off road performance with the limited slip TRAC and vehicle safety with VSC... You should really get to enjoy a truck that in H4 can go more places than in L4 because of TRAC... and won't spin-out on a slippery road they way empty pickups always like to do. I am on Tacoma #3, and the first one with the gizmos... and I have found them to make the truck superior to the way it was before... and it was pretty good before!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
I have to agree with you on this. It should all be optional not standard. I'm so happy my 07 doesn't have any of that junk. You should be able to control your truck not the computers.

If you want install a mechanical LSD in the rear end and you'll have that crap kick on less if at all.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
Banned
The reason it is standard now is so the Taco can have better safety ratings. Also there are too many stupid drivers behind the wheel so I believe stability control is a mandatory safety feature now like seat belts and air bags.. A mechanical LSD won't lesson VSC interaction but it would keep TRAC from activating in slippery conditions.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
and if the driver isn't highly skilled?

I am skilled, and enjoy the traction improvements over the previous two Tacomas I had. The VSC also lets the truck drive on slick roads like it is in 4WD, while in 2WD... it works.

The VSC can be disabled... what is it with having the option to yurn it off that is so hard to understand here? It will only come back on if you do something so stupid that the truck is about to get wrecked... and wouldn't you want to avoid that? Also, AUTO LSD mode keeps the VSC off under 30 mph.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
and if the driver isn't highly skilled?

I am skilled, and enjoy the traction improvements over the previous two Tacomas I had. The VSC also lets the truck drive on slick roads like it is in 4WD, while in 2WD... it works.

The VSC can be disabled... what is it with having the option to yurn it off that is so hard to understand here? It will only come back on if you do something so stupid that the truck is about to get wrecked... and wouldn't you want to avoid that? Also, AUTO LSD mode keeps the VSC off under 30 mph.
So is it off or in sleeping mode. If something is OFF then it should not come back until driver explicitly Turns ON.
Under 30 mph limit ?? Thats stupid.
dhk is right. Population gets more stupid and overconfident as new systems are introduced. For almost 200 years of motorization no electronic systems were needed. Now every one needs traction control so he/she can do hair, makeup, iphone conversation and get latte injection during the driving. Then winter comes in with 2 inches of snow and whole highway throttles down to 3 MPH

Its just plain stupid.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Banned
You know what is really stupid? People that buy modern vehicles then bitch about the modern electronics they are equipped with.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
After reading this thread many people would assume I was a total idiot. I waited until the Tacoma had all the electronics before buying one. I bought my '09 in October '08.

It doesn't do good donuts but my 5 lug will pull my Carolina Skiff up a wet, weed-slimed ramp with the LSD, drive me out of a muddy ditch with the traction control, stop me in the rain without the back end stepping out with the ABS, help me stay in my lane driving over the Skyway Bridge when the high wind warnings are flashing with the VSC and protect me with a bunch of airbags when that snowbird crosses the median and ruins my day. I'll take idiocy any day.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #17

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yep (to the above couple of replies)!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #18

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Thats why I got the 08 with the V6 instead of the 09 with the I4.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
A skilled driver can use a powerslide to turn the vehicle around in very tight quarters on a slippery surface without having to do a 15-point turn. Having a pickup makes this procedure exceptionally useful since it takes a lot more space to turn around than the average car.

Saying that, it isn't for everybody. In fact, it isn't for MOST. It takes practice to be able to perform the manoeuvre safely and without crashing into other vehicles or obstructions.

One of the very nice things about fully manual vehicles is that you can really learn to drive WELL. Equipping all these new vehicles with all these "safety" features results in drivers who can't drive and don't know how to react in an unfamiliar situation. The result is a general worsening of the population's overall driving skill and increasing the DANGER of driving. There are people who simply should NOT be allowed to drive, but rather than denying them the right to drive, the vehicles are being built to drive FOR them, and generally do a worse job of it than a skilled driver.

Where the big problems come up is when you take a person who learned to drive with a vehicle that does all the thinking FOR them, and you place them into a vehicle that you actually need to drive... because they DO NOT know how to drive, they end up smashing up real bad. So if you want to keep the rate of crashups down on the vehicles you sell, you need the thing to do all the thinking for the driver. You have to ASSUME that the driver will not know how to drive.

Which is TERRIBLE.

A highly skilled driver is better able to react properly (in an emergency) in a FULLY MANUAL vehicle than ANY driver (skilled or otherwise) is able to react in a FULLY AUTOMATIC vehicle.
I agree. I love the old 180* donut in the snow... useful and makes you look super badass (I suppose I now sound like the punk ass 17 year old dipshit I really am... )

Closed Thread