Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How do you drive 5 speed manual?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #161
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
its not hard, i have no troubles with it, compared to the old trucks i have driven in the past it is like cakewalk to drive in traffic, and it shifts so easy compared to the older trucks we have around. Like the others said 1st gear is for takeoff only. I love my 5spd, could not have it any other way! If you dont trade it for an automatic and be done with it, or a V6 with a 6 speed
Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #162
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
how many miles do you have? after about 5k or so the tranny starts loosening up. and at that point you can start rev matching your downshifts into first. works for me every time. before 5k tho for me no matter what it wouldn't go into first.
its not that bad for me anymore... only one in a great while it will act up. having a auto locker doesnt help because it loads and unloads the drivetrain funny so its a new learning experience. I agree that the first 5 was bad but i have 48k on it now so its a lot better like its worn in. synthetic did help.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #163
Wally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wally's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroades View Post
To those who are saying the OP doesn't know how to drive stick... clearly you don't know how high 2nd is in this tranny, or you love lugging your engine / burning your clutch. My transmission is the same and I often find myself too slow for 2nd but unable to get into 1st without jamming it in. I don't know why they essentially lock out 1st at speeds when engaging it would have the revs in the 1500-2500 rpm range. Also I find the issue is more pronounced when the truck is cold.

I also find most turns are made right at that speed where 2nd is a little too high but 1st is a little too low. This is my first manual tranny but I'm not stupid, and I think the gear ratios could use some work.
So if the spread between the ratios is too big on the way down, as soon as the revs drop low enough in second, slide it into neutral. You probably don't even need to touch the clutch. Use the brakes instead of the engine and bypass the lugging part. When you're slow enough to engage first (barely moving or stopped), clutch it and rev match for the shift if needed. If I'm still rolling, I tend to use the next higher gear and let the torque do the work instead of RPMs so I usually pick 2nd instead of 1st. I don't have the 5 speed but you only have 2 choices ... if you're going around a corner, adjust your speed so that the shift is smooth and matches your available gearing/torque.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #164
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
How drive a 5-speed..
1-Take hold of shift lever and depress clutch
2-Put in 1st gear
3-release clutch while stepping on accelerator\
4-push clutch and release accelerator
5-pull shift lever into 2nd
6-continue this process til you reach 5th gear

To stop vehicle push clutch apply brake til vehicle stops
Shift into neutral or 1st gear.
Some procedure for 6 speed
Hope this helps
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #165
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmo View Post
How drive a 5-speed..
1-Take hold of shift lever and depress clutch
2-Put in 1st gear
3-release clutch while stepping on accelerator\
4-push clutch and release accelerator
5-pull shift lever into 2nd
6-continue this process til you reach 5th gear

To stop vehicle push clutch apply brake til vehicle stops
Shift into neutral or 1st gear.
Some procedure for 6 speed
Hope this helps
rofl!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #166
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
You guys the know the actual 1st "gear" is harder to get in gear because of the diameter of the physical gear inside the transmission. There's a smaller margin for error in attempting to get it to mesh when you put in 1st gear. It takes a little more to get the synchros "jiving" for the smaller 1st gear.

I don't know if I explained that well enough . . . I KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #167
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I drive a 5 speed like a 5 speed is supposed to be driven. I don't try to put it in a gear it shouldn't be in. When coming to a stop I put the clutch in and leave it in and downshift to the gear I would want to be in if I needed power. That way if traffic starts moving or I need to get out of a situation I'm in the right gear. I don't put it into 1st till stopped or going very slow.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #168
wanderingwayne is on a distinguished road
Army: 334th Attack Helicopter
Name: Wayne
wanderingwayne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBandit View Post
You can get it into 1st at 10mph, you just need to shove the shifter hard. Probably not good at all for the syncros. My truck drives exactly like yours OP... I even created a thread just like yours when I bought my truck. The only solution is to got used to it.

Does anybody know if 4.10 gears in my 6cyl will make the 10-14mph shudder go away? Ever since I lifted and put bigger tires, if I'm coasting at 15mph and I floor it, my engine shudders until it gets to like 18mph. Can't remember if it did or didn't do that before I lifted it.
The shudder happens when your RPM's are low and you give it gas of course. I'm not to sure why but that's the way it work. Someone on here can probably come up with a technical reason.

If you switch to much lower gears you can still get the shudder but it will more than likely be in a higher gear with low RPM's. It should be less noticeable or not noticeable, depending on how you drive, up hill or down hill, etc.