1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you drive 5 speed manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gyprat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    Gyprat

Gyprat [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 cyl, SR5, Manual
    I've driven dozens of cars and trucks with manual trannys with no problems. Toyotas are unique. My truck is a 2010 base model, access cab with 2.7l engine and 5 speed manual transmission.
    I'm at the point of trading this piece of crap for another vehicle. The transmission sucks big time! I find it very hard to drive in stop and go traffic. First gear can only be engaged if the speed is below 3-5 MPH. And I have to literally force it in. Second gear can be engaged just fine at almost any speed but the engine vibrates a lot of the speed is below about 15 mph. So I either have to come to almost complete stop and use first gear or shift into second and burn the clutch to pull out to above 15 mph.
    Is it just my truck? Anyone else have similar problem? It's very frustrating.
    The truck has almost 15,000 miles and it does not seem to improve any.
    Also sometime I can't shift into reverse at all. I have to slightly move the truck and then use a lot of force to shift. My wife refuses to drive it because of the crappy transmission. She owned several cars with stick shit as well and knows how to drive it.
    Maybe Toyota gets their parts from China these days? It sure makes me wonder.
    Now cabin fan makes terrible chirping noise. It's about to drive me nuts.
    Clutch peday was making a lot of popping noise until I greased the pedal cam. Are they saving on grease now?
    What a piece of crap truck I bought!:mad:

2. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Get a 1 gen tacoma with a 5-speed. The 5-speed 1 gen tacomas don't have a problem shifting.

3. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have my 06 that is in my profile and I have a company issued 09 reg cab 4cyl 5speed 5 lug for work. Both trucks do not have the blower chirp, they both DO have the clutch pedal noise. As far as driving and shifting, the 09 works great, I wish I could swap that trans into my own truck in place of the six speed trans. I have none of the issues that you describe. Maybe yours still needs some break in time? I started driving my company truck when it already had 35K on it.

4. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    fortyniner

fortyniner Active Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    This is my 3rd Tacoma a 2008 6 cyl. access cab and as far as I'm concerned it's the worst of the three. I really had no complaints of my other two both had over 150,000 miles and still ran fine. I only bought this one because I needed bigger engine for pulling a trailer. I must admit that the engine is plenty powerful no complaints there it's just the general quality has gone to hell. Three TSB's with in the first year.

5. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    I have the 6-speed and I can't put mine into 1st unless I'm at nearly a dead stop. Have heard the same thing from others on here. I guess that's normal.

6. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    could not put my civic si in first if i was not crawling either unless i rev matched very carefully

7. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    Gyprat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 cyl, SR5, Manual
    1 st generation Tacomas don't have enough leg room for me. I paid 21k for this truck and expect to be able to shift gears. I've driven old trucks where I had to double clutch to shift gears and they were easier to drive in traffic than this new glorified POS.
    Toyota service is a joke. I'm beginnig to understand why their reliability ratings are high. They simply deny most warranty claims stating that everything works like it should.
    I'm pi55ed.

8. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    fsbrain03

fsbrain03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you aren't happy, then trade it off. That's how I would fix it. Maybe Toyota did it right. The way they set up the tranny will probably make it last a lot longer

9. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    my six speed wont go into first unless stopped sometimes, one day i have no problem them the next i have to use second and I checked toyotas repair page and the previous owner took it in twice for that problem

10. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    The blower motor has a TSB so you can have it replaced. Mine does it too and I agree it's annoying but I'd be more annoyed if they were refusing to fix it.

The clutch I find to be a little annoying but have gotten used to it. If you rev the engine a little you can get it in first. The reverse thing I'm going to ask about cause that shouldn't be happening but I've noticed it too.

11. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    ruskastud

ruskastud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenexa, KS
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    AVS Hood Shield & In Channel Ventvisors, Console Vault, Disable Seat Belt Chime, WeatherTech DigiFit Floor Liners, Lighted 4x4 Switch, Ultra-Gauge, Rear Spring TSB
    Why do you want to put your truck in 1st if you are moving? I had a 6 speed '05 for 5 years and had no issues. It drives like a truck, not a Civic........

12. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    xroller

xroller Blowin by em sideways

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner Speedway Blue
    1 hp mod
    wow... lol.... a bunch of newbs in here or something?..... Just rev it up a little and put it into first... now if that doesn't work then you shouldn't be using first gear at the speed you are at..... first gear is only supposed to be used for take offs anyway...... reason on why it provides the most torque..... if you really have been driving standard for a while then you should know the quick shift trick.... just quickly drop it into second and back into first without letting the clutch out.... really simple but effective.... manual transmissions sometimes get locked out in certain gears just do that and it loosens it up..... I do it a lot but it's just second nature to me now. Best of luck to ya.

13. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    Gyprat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 cyl, SR5, Manual
    It would be normal if they cost $5,000 new as "some assembly required " kit.
    Whoever designed this transmission should quit their job and go flip burgers.

14. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    xroller

xroller Blowin by em sideways

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner Speedway Blue
    1 hp mod
    Truth.

15. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    last time i checked i dont shift into first unless im just about stopped...im sure its just a safety thing. cuz i learned to drive my manny when i was 16 on an 08 and i drove my friend 89 f-250 and you can shift in and out of first all day long

16. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    2010whitetaco

2010whitetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaston
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    single cab 5-lug
    ReadyLift 2 3/4 front 1 3/4 rear universal armrest Texas Rangers decal 235/75/15 Goodyear Duratracs Kobalt Slim Line Compact Truck Tool Box Secondary air filter removed TOYOTA decal on tailgate
    i think the reason it isn’t going into reverse right away has something to do with the fact that reverse doesn’t have synchros… maybe someone will chime in that knows for sure

17. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    Gyprat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 cyl, SR5, Manual
    Because the second gear is geared too high. I can shift into second and burn the clutch for several seconds before it gets to 15 mph or above. Driving in second gear at a speed slower than 15 mph makes the whole truck vibrate because of low engine RPM. It's not good for the engine.
    And I'll repeat again- I've owned and driven many cars and trucks with manual transmissions. I own a motorcycle too. Never had this problem.

18. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    It took me longer than usual to get used to this tranny & clutch, but after 5 months, 5K miles, I think I'm finally smooth on it. (A shot of gas does help engage 1st sometimes - I'm not familiar with that "quick shift" trick.)

If I had a lot of stop 'n go, I might have opted for an automatic. But I generally prefer to avoid both of those things. ;)

19. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    ruskastud

ruskastud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenexa, KS
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    AVS Hood Shield & In Channel Ventvisors, Console Vault, Disable Seat Belt Chime, WeatherTech DigiFit Floor Liners, Lighted 4x4 Switch, Ultra-Gauge, Rear Spring TSB
    I would only shift into first if I was at a dead stop...... Moving at all, and I'd be in second......

I don't wanna say you don't know how to drive a stick.... BUT, it sounds like you don't know how to drive a stick. :D

20. Feb 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    2010whitetaco

2010whitetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaston
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    single cab 5-lug
    ReadyLift 2 3/4 front 1 3/4 rear universal armrest Texas Rangers decal 235/75/15 Goodyear Duratracs Kobalt Slim Line Compact Truck Tool Box Secondary air filter removed TOYOTA decal on tailgate
    read the thread title:D

Products Discussed in

To Top