Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need recommendation for aftermarket rear bumper that will work w/ receiver hitch

Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #21
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I'll look into making a rear that works with the factory hitch, but I looked at it when I built my replacement rear that I offer now and these were the things I saw:
-Would only attach with 2 bolts per side; not sufficient for recovery points or hi-lift points built into the bumper
-little to no clearance gains possible.

But, I could certainly make a more rigid bumper 'shell' to replace the factory one. There just wouldnt be a lot gained in replacing it aside from some extra impact strength by the corners, and obviously a different look over stock. Thats why I went the route I did initially
I would definitely be interested in a replacement rear bumper that works with the factory hitch. I've been looking for a replacement rear bumper for a while now, and there are some really awesome ones. The only thing is most of them are meant for hardcore 4wd off roading, and would be kinda pointless on a 2wd truck. Something that just goes in place of the factory one, allows use of factory hitch, offers a little more rigidity, has little difference in weight compared to stock, and just looks better than stock would be awesome. I think there is definitely a market for them and it's definitely worth looking in to. Plus, being made by Relentless just makes it that much cooler.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #22
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll look into making a rear that works with the factory hitch, but I looked at it when I built my replacement rear that I offer now and these were the things I saw:
-Would only attach with 2 bolts per side; not sufficient for recovery points or hi-lift points built into the bumper

But, I could certainly make a more rigid bumper 'shell' to replace the factory one. There just wouldnt be a lot gained in replacing it aside from some extra impact strength by the corners, and obviously a different look over stock. Thats why I went the route I did initially
I'd still be interested Eric. I have to keep my hitch because of the towing I do.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #23
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'd like a replacement bumper from you because it wouldn't have that cheap ass chrome that rusts at the first sight of a little salt.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #24
wfbont007 will become famous soon enough
wfbont007's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 DC and I just got rear ended this weekend. I need a new bumper and a new hitch. I have to have my factory hitch because of the towing that I do. Now, I am looking for an after market rear bumper that accepts the factory hitch.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #25
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
I have an AllPro rear bumper and the hitch that comes with it is a pain if you do a lot of towing (reaching the hitch pin is very difficult because of the small opening). Also I don't want to remove my license plate every time I need to tow. The only solution I could come up with was to modify the hitch and weld another receiver to come out below the bumper. Granted that by doing what I did you lose some of the appeal of a "high clearance" bumper but I am only losing 2 inches. I made brackets that wrap around the new receiver and gusseted it just like AP did. I am not worried about the receiver tube coming off or falling apart......I think that the weak link now would have to be the bolts that attach to the frame but 2 of those are factory bolts from the old hitch and the others are grade 8 so I am hoping that's enough overkill to keep me safe. This of course is not a "rated" hitch but it is just as beefy as the factory one if not more. If something did go wrong and my trailer disconnected and I injured someone I would probably get sued into oblivion so I tried to make it as stout as possible. If you want pics let me know and I'll get some up later. Towing 6000 lbs. at 60 mph is definitely not something to take lightly.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Not to steal this thread, but I was looking to get an aftermarket bumper. I have an aftermarket hide a hitch? Will any work for this set-up or does this closely resemble the oem hitch set-up?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #28
wfbont007 will become famous soon enough
wfbont007's Tacoma Gallery
Found an aftermarket bumper that will accept factory hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Need recommendation for aftermarket rear bumper that will work w/ receiver hitch-42491307_scaled_355x266.jpg  
Old 04-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #29
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfbont007 View Post
Who makes it?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #30
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Is the hitch still a the factory height?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #31
11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed11BSSG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Matt
11BSSG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Go on........

Details?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #33
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
It looks like the ArmorTech Off Road. See http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/a...Rear%20Bumper/
Are you sure? It looks like an aftermarket hitch attached to the bumper.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #34
H0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant future
H0LLYW00D's Tacoma Gallery
Road Armour makes a bumper that works with the factory hitch, but is super heavy and expensive.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #35
FARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: MK
Name: Ryan
FARNORCAL's Tacoma Gallery
Go with RELENTLESS his are sick. If i decided to go with aftermarket id be his.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #36
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.roadarmor.com/products/Bu...-number-99020B

Good lord, 1,200 bucks!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #37
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Are you sure? It looks like an aftermarket hitch attached to the bumper.
MJ, I'm not sure of my own name right now (I'm fresh out of the hospital) but the topic is interesting so I did some searching. I ran into an old link on another forum started by the manufacturer. He had just produced the bumper and stated that he would soon "...be making new brackets that would allow the use of the factory hitch....". That was years ago. If it's okay to link to another forum here, I'll post the link. In any case, it's worth a look at all the photos on the company's website and an email and/or telephone call.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #38
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
MJ, I'm not sure of my own name right now (I'm fresh out of the hospital) but the topic is interesting so I did some searching. I ran into an old link on another forum started by the manufacturer. He had just produced the bumper and stated that he would soon "...be making new brackets that would allow the use of the factory hitch....". That was years ago. If it's okay to link to another forum here, I'll post the link. In any case, it's worth a look at all the photos on the company's website and an email and/or telephone call.
of course. i do it all the time