Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need recommendation for aftermarket rear bumper that will work w/ receiver hitch

Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Question Need recommendation for aftermarket rear bumper that will work w/ receiver hitch

Yep, I've got the dreaded "Rusty Bumper" on my 2010. Instead of playing around with the dealer, I'd like to buy a custom bumper. I've read through the vendors on this forum, but haven't seen one that will work with my OEM receiver hitch (which I want to keep). A couple have hitches or receivers but say they aren't rated, so use with caution. That just won't do. I need to tow and want an officially rated hitch - and would kinda like to just keep the one I have.

Am I missing something here? I haven't crawled under the back of the truck to actually see what is involved, so I'm asking you guys, hoping someone has gone down this road.

I would like to have a beefy looking bumper, not just tubes welded together. And, I want to keep my rated hitch.

Any ideas guys?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
SmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
SmoothFox's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Why does everyone's bumper rust but mine?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothFox View Post
I just noticed the rust after a couple weeks of snow, which means salt on the streets. We've had a thaw and I finally washed the truck. That's when I saw it. I wish I lived in TX! I am assuming your streets aren't salted for a couple months of the year.

I've got a few bucks and wouldn't mind spending some on a nice looking bumper.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothFox View Post
mines an 06 and has like one or two microscopic breakthroughs of rust
Old 02-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Been keeping an eye open for this myself but nothing I've noticed.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primersinmyshoe View Post
Yep, I've got the dreaded "Rusty Bumper" on my 2010. Instead of playing around with the dealer, I'd like to buy a custom bumper. I've read through the vendors on this forum, but haven't seen one that will work with my OEM receiver hitch (which I want to keep). A couple have hitches or receivers but say they aren't rated, so use with caution. That just won't do. I need to tow and want an officially rated hitch - and would kinda like to just keep the one I have.

Am I missing something here? I haven't crawled under the back of the truck to actually see what is involved, so I'm asking you guys, hoping someone has gone down this road.

I would like to have a beefy looking bumper, not just tubes welded together. And, I want to keep my rated hitch.

Any ideas guys?
Nice, Ive been drooling over ATO's + Relentless's but I just can justify giving up my RATED hitch. I was seriously about to post a thread 5 minutes before, then I saw this. Hopefully we can get some answers or at least enough people to get a vendor to get with the program. All they would have to do is get it rated and I would be sold on one.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Old Sheepdog

my50cal, I hear ya! I refuse to give up my rated hitch.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
Nice, Ive been drooling over ATO's + Relentless's but I just can justify giving up my RATED hitch. I was seriously about to post a thread 5 minutes before, then I saw this. Hopefully we can get some answers or at least enough people to get a vendor to get with the program. All they would have to do is get it rated and I would be sold on one.
Quote:
same here
Old 02-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
bump this for added interest
Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
same here
Same, I have to tow a jeep and need to not worry about the hitch not being able to handle it. I have enough to worry about trying to tow the thing.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
Sooo..... Toyota won't cover rust at all? I thought all manufacturers had at least a 3yr/ 36,000 mile "anti-perforation" warranty???
Old 02-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you could get a customized bumper (from a vendor) with receiver that is "beefed" up and would be much stronger than the existing hitch, then you could sell your hitch to help pay for the bumper
Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogeyphenogey View Post
Sooo..... Toyota won't cover rust at all? I thought all manufacturers had at least a 3yr/ 36,000 mile "anti-perforation" warranty???
They will- A few folks have had success swapping a chrome bumper for a color matched or base plastic type bumper when the chrome rusted. They won't replace the truck if the frame gets a little rust on it...but surface rust on an exterior part...They will usually work with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
I'm sure you could get a customized bumper (from a vendor) with receiver that is "beefed" up and would be much stronger than the existing hitch, then you could sell your hitch to help pay for the bumper
Yup. I don't think you are going to find very many custom bumpers that'll be customized AND have the R&D behind them to get a hitch rating. That being said- I doubt there is a custom bumper/receiver out there that won't haul anything you can throw at it.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #16
Crunchy Taco
blacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
blacktaco21's Tacoma Gallery
would be interested if one were made also
Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #17
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
The demmelo prerunner bumper will work
Old 02-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
4x innovations has a rated reciever, but that's for a first gen and it's tube, an option I don't think I've seen on many or any 2nd gens
Old 02-28-2011, 04:04 AM   #19
Old Sheepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
The demmelo prerunner bumper will work
They say their hitch is for "off road". I'd rather have a hitch meant for pulling trailers on the highway.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'll look into making a rear that works with the factory hitch, but I looked at it when I built my replacement rear that I offer now and these were the things I saw:
-Would only attach with 2 bolts per side; not sufficient for recovery points or hi-lift points built into the bumper
-little to no clearance gains possible.

But, I could certainly make a more rigid bumper 'shell' to replace the factory one. There just wouldnt be a lot gained in replacing it aside from some extra impact strength by the corners, and obviously a different look over stock. Thats why I went the route I did initially