Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2010-2011 Oil Viscosity Applicability and Change Interval Guide

Old 02-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
2010-2011 Oil Viscosity Applicability and Change Interval Guide

Tech Tip T-TT-0005-10 All 2010 – 2011 Models
http://www.scribd.com/doc/48798088/T-TT-0005-10
Old 02-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Ok, the chart applies to "non-severe" use.
Where's the definition and chart for "severe" use?
the last bullet point on the first page addresses that.

the second page is confusing though...

i don't see a 1GR for 2011 Tacoma, but i see one for 2011 Tundra, and it says 0/20 and 10k miles. My 2011 Tacoma came with 5/30...so they are saying that the engine that came in my Tacoma has different clearances or operating parameters than the one in the Tundra, ones that allow it to run lighter oil and go longer on the intervals, even though it is the same engine and same year? according to the first page that is what you are left to infer. strange.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
gyro is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
gyro's Tacoma Gallery
From Toyota motor co. 2011Toyota tacoma oil change interval changed to 10,000 miles. Use 0w20 Mobile1 synthetic oil. Advanced fuel economy green label. 4 cyl engine.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Essentially, this doc says if you use your truck as a truck to stay with 5w-30 and 5k OCIs. If you use your truck as a car, go for 0w-20 and better mileage.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I am about to hit 1k miles on my V6 4x4 access cab and going to change it then to 5w-30 castrol GTX with a NAPA 3148 filter...I always like doing the first oil change early to help get all the chips out of the engine. I normally run engines way past the 200k mark without issues.

Howard
Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
amsoil 0-30 once a year..what.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro View Post
From Toyota motor co. 2011Toyota tacoma oil change interval changed to 10,000 miles. Use 0w20 Mobile1 synthetic oil. Advanced fuel economy green label. 4 cyl engine.
Whoa! Man you didn't read it carefully enough. That's NOT what it says!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech tip t-tt-0005-10
....Toyota has extended the oil change intervals to 10,000 miles for most [emphasis mine] vehicles ...

The 2TR-FE 4-cylinder engine (4Runner and Tacoma) is an exception to this new change interval program; this engine has notbeen approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000 mile oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. [again, emphasis mine]
Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Gray Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines: USMC Aircraft Crew chief
Gray Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Does the Dealership use full Synthetic oil? I plan on changing mine at a 1,000 miles too..
Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Tacoma View Post
Does the Dealership use full Synthetic oil? I plan on changing mine at a 1,000 miles too..
I'm sure they will charge extra. The early change is not necessary.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:05 AM   #10
pjs42 is on a distinguished road

Army: Enginering
Name: Steve
pjs42's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder if this chart is good for a 2012 4.0