1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Paint Protection Film - need clarification

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by parkp81, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Feb 15, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    parkp81

parkp81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Southern California
    Hello, everyone.

Glad to have found a very informative forum. I will soon be a owner of a Tacoma, but I am building mine up right now before I purchase.

I see Toyota offers the paint protection film under their accessories, but what does it exactly cover on the front end? Hood, Bumper, Headlights? Any other areas of the truck?

Thanks

2. May 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    TheGreekIndian

TheGreekIndian Well-Known Member

Member:
    anyone else know abnout this?

3. May 27, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    i had a company put 3m venture shield on my bumper, grille, first 11" of hood and fenders, mirrors, door edges, headlights, and door handle cups

i love it and you cant see it unless you are looking for it

4. May 28, 2011 at 4:40 AM
    tacocowboy

tacocowboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner grey and naked
    And you can buy it pretty cheap at the parts store vs what the dealer charges

5. May 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    hey when we got are '07 like 2 weeks ago. we got it. (still have to take it and have them put it on. from what i know. ti will cover most the "leading edge of the truck. like hood but only go back a few inches? and i think cover front bumper and stuff. NOT the head light i don't think! maybe a little bit on the finders. and it is called versa shield or some think like that. maybe getting it done this week. if so i'll post photos

edit: this is what they use! venture shield!! and they said it is really hard to line up! once it touches you can't pull it off and move and put back on kinda like window tint. so we are having them do it.

6. May 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The description on Toyota's website sounds like it is only the hood.

7. May 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    My dad has this on his Taco... It came with it from the dealer, so I think it is the OEM stuff but can't say for sure.
    It covers about the first foot of the hood, then continues at the same point down the sides of the nose, from the bumper to the front wheels.

8. May 28, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    I got mine off this website called invisiblemask.com. I put it on myself..mine covers the entire front bumper the hood all the way to the scope. I also got the front fenders and the front grill. It's tricky to install so if you've never done window tint I would recommend professional installation. It's probably the best thing you can do for your truck.

9. May 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    jb3pin

jb3pin Active Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2011 T|X TRD DoubleCab
    I had the stealership install the film before taking delivery of my 2011. Mine runs across the hood, covers the entire front bumper and they ran it up the a pillar. My dad took delivery of a 2011 Sienna at the same time and the film covered the same general areas.

When I bought my 2003 I had them do the same (different dealer) it didn't run up the a pillar but they did do the headlights that time.

HTH

10. May 28, 2011 at 10:58 PM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    mine was done by gulf states distribution prior to getting to the dealer.
    the first foot of hood and behind the door handles. no bumper for me

11. May 29, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    Bloom

Bloom Well-Known Member

Member:
    NASCAR, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 BR DC TRD OR
    OME 885+Dakars, WeatherTech mats, EGR In Channel, PopNLock, Access LE, 3M tint and clear film paint protection, Sport grille, Amsoil, Zaino once in a while.
    I took my AC to a shop that installs 3M film and window tint. They do a lot of work for car dealers and there were several dealer cars ahead of me when I was there.

For my truck, they did the entire front grill and bumper, the 'invisible bra' for the front 8-10" of the hood, the pillars and front edge of the cab, inside the door handles and the upper part of the tailgate, in addition to tinting the windows.

It was expensive, but the truck is "only new once" and they did a great job installing the film.

Unfortunately, I traded that truck back to the dealer for a new double cab and now have to do it all over again for the new truck. Hey, it's only new once!

12. Apr 8, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    Tech1

Tech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Hi Guys,

I'm wondering for the guys that had this done, did any of you experience a few
    days or so of curing time for air bubbles and areas to stay down. I got mine done by a company called Pacific Auto Trim he installed X10 film which has a
    10 year warranty for labor and material. My experience with so far from his install hasn't been good, I've ended with a whistling sound that came after the install and haven't resolved this issue yet along with edges not completely staying down. I waiting to hear back from him to try and resolve these issue.

I been looking at it but what a pain to try and narrow down an issue like this

Jon

13. Apr 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Boilerman

Boilerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas, northwest of the Big Pond
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 Magnetic Gray 2.7L
    Mine was on there when I bought the truck brand new. Door scoops, hood and front fenders.

Products Discussed in

To Top