Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HELP! Clicking noise under the dash.....

Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
csmobley is on a distinguished road

csmobley's Tacoma Gallery
Question HELP! Clicking noise under the dash.....

Hey all, new to the forum, i just bought a 2011 taco double cab 4x4 and i haven't even hit 500 miles yet and the other day i was leaving the store and i was on a steep incline in the parking lot and when i took my foot off the brake and the truck rolled back a bit, and i gave it gas to move forward, made this clunk and started a clicking sound in the driver side which sounds like it is coming from under the dash. It only does it when the truck rolls back a bit and then i start to move forward. On level ground taking off, everything is normal.

Anyone else ever had this happen? Its driving me crazy and i haven't had a chance to get to the dealer yet. It almost sounds like a relay clicking under the dash.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do you have the TRD offroad package?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

yes it is the TRD Off Road Package, sorry forgot to mention that.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmobley View Post
Hey all, new to the forum, i just bought a 2011 taco double cab 4x4 and i haven't even hit 500 miles yet and the other day i was leaving the store and i was on a steep incline in the parking lot and when i took my foot off the brake and the truck rolled back a bit, and i gave it gas to move forward, made this clunk and started a clicking sound in the driver side which sounds like it is coming from under the dash. It only does it when the truck rolls back a bit and then i start to move forward. On level ground taking off, everything is normal.

Anyone else ever had this happen? Its driving me crazy and i haven't had a chance to get to the dealer yet. It almost sounds like a relay clicking under the dash.
welcome to TW!!!!
what model you got?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Your truck has HAC. HAC holds the truck in place when you are on a steep hill so you don't roll back. This is in the manual. You should also hear a beeping when it does it.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #7

Thanks for the welcome! I love it, and the traction control is on, I haven't turned it off yet.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Your truck has HAC. HAC holds the truck in place when you are on a steep hill so you don't roll back. This is in the manual. You should also hear a beeping when it does it.

yet another feature^. these things just keep getting better. I actually forgot about the HAC.....i live in flat florida
this is probably what your hearing...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
yet another feature^. these things just keep getting better. I actually forgot about the HAC.....i live in flat florida
Find a Ranger to park on.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #10

Nice I will find one, actually a guy that I work with has one! So just to confirm....this is something that i shouldn't worry about? If it is hill assist, then should it actually roll back?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
park ranger or ford ranger? i wont park on a park ranger as i like them too much......if i'm gonna park on a ford ranger, i better hurry up as this will be their last year.......
Ford. Haha. I bet they make it a front drive like they did the Exploder.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
supposedly(from my inside sources) its going to be a mid sized truck to compete with the tacoma and dakota......
I used to be a Ranger owner. There was just as much speculation and photochops about the new Ranger as the 3rd gen Taco. I'll believe it when I see it for sale at the dealer. It would be cool to see what they can come up with though.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I used to be a Ranger owner. There was just as much speculation and photochops about the new Ranger as the 3rd gen Taco. I'll believe it when I see it for sale at the dealer. It would be cool to see what they can come up with though.
couldn't agree more.....but the new f100 is supposed to be the shit(according to ford).....we shall see
Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
couldn't agree more.....but the new f100 is supposed to be the shit(according to ford).....we shall see
Yeah and the Ecoboost F150 is supposed to get 26mpg in the F150 but it doesn't.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice I will find one, actually a guy that I work with has one! So just to confirm....this is something that i shouldn't worry about? If it is hill assist, then should it actually roll back?
I don't think what you're hearing is the HAC. In our Highlander, I have to press the brake pedal quickly and hard to the floor, then it beeps and literally locks the vehicle in place (it's a weird feeling when you let your foot off the brake and it doesn't roll one millimeter).

And since yours is rolling, that doesn't sound like HAC.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #18

I am going to try and turn it off tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully it will do something so I can try and eliminate the possibilities of what it could be. if not guess will just have to take it to the dealership. Hopefully they don't try and tell me it is normal. I worked in the car business for 12 years and I know what it is doing can't be normal.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
I am going to try and turn it off tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully it will do something so I can try and eliminate the possibilities of what it could be. if not guess will just have to take it to the dealership. Hopefully they don't try and tell me it is normal. I worked in the car business for 12 years and I know what it is doing can't be normal.
You can't turn off HAC. It is always active.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #20

Lol yea I figured that out this morning. Also got a ticking noise in engine compartment that gets slightly louder as I accelerate I did notice the harder I accelerate, it gets a little louder, but when at idle, and I rev the engine, it doesn't make the same sound. Sorry for all the questions this is my first truck first Toyota and first 4x4. Always driven Hondas.