1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment.....what the hell

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by longbow, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Sep 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Ok guys, you know my lift, tires, wheels, UCA's etc. But I am having issue with alignment, and it is starting to really but a damper on my ride.

I had it aligned 3 times, first off was after the lift, No issues, at the farm last week I came down hard off a downed tree, I was not rough playing or anything, the old bark gave way and I slide down. Well knocked it out of alignment, and was pulling to the right.

Went Tuesday to get another alignment, done with no issues. On the way home Friday, I caught a R.R. crossing wrong, (first time at this place) and it nailed the front right wheel, now it is out of lignment again and pulling to the right.

I check everything, all wheel nuts tight, air pressuer correct, all wheel weights accounted for, and even retightened everything underneath.

So now.......:confused::(:confused: are their certain spec numbers for the alignment with a lift? and where do I go from here.

2. Sep 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM
    bcmedic

bcmedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    sounds like you should stop ramming into things...

go get another alignment? imo

3. Sep 6, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    funny man...:)
    Gone over that log a dozen times, this time was the charm, oak bark peeled right off, as for the tracks, well you know them, some are smooth some you need to crawl over. This one happened to be the one I should of crawled over.

4. Sep 6, 2008 at 4:00 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    With your set up, your numbers should be
    Camber 0*
    Toe 0*
    Caster 2.5* to 3.3*

Not sure how hard you are hitting things, but I have had my truck re aligned 3 times in 20 months, from landing off of, and hitting things. Inless you have a SAC, expect to need an alignment after a hard impact. :)

5. Sep 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    take a different route home

6. Sep 7, 2008 at 8:38 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    I think I'd be setting up my own alignment rack. Sounds like it'll be a recurring problem if you go fast in the rough.

However, I can't say from here what's really happening.

When you hit something and the alignment changes, it's not normally because those nuts and bolts unscrewed themselves. Either a connection slipped or something (like the frame or a suspension componant) actually bent.

Now I just bought my first Tacoma, and I've barely looked at the suspension. (It's an '09, and only has 3 rear leaves. what's up with that?) So I can't say specifically what adjustments might be slipping, but I'd get it aligned and put some bright paint as a telltale on all the adjustments. If one moves the paint will crack, and you'll know what's going on. If the alignment changes, and the paint is untouched, you're bending things. Things that will probably eventually crack.

Again, I know little about the Tacoma specifically, but I've seen suspension arms on other vehicles bend and crack around the ball joint area before. My first Ford dropped a lower arm to the asphalt when that happened (fortunately at only 10 MPH in a parking lot, and a week after I'd sold it to the unfortunate new owner.)

7. Sep 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    chriss4x4....thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for.
    Like I stated before, and you all can see my ride, I am no nut and slam into things. But it is just like hitting a deer, sometimes S#%* happens.

8. Sep 7, 2008 at 11:35 AM
    RealSouthernPride

RealSouthernPride Well-Known Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top