Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Alignment.....what the hell

Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Alignment.....what the hell

Ok guys, you know my lift, tires, wheels, UCA's etc. But I am having issue with alignment, and it is starting to really but a damper on my ride.

I had it aligned 3 times, first off was after the lift, No issues, at the farm last week I came down hard off a downed tree, I was not rough playing or anything, the old bark gave way and I slide down. Well knocked it out of alignment, and was pulling to the right.

Went Tuesday to get another alignment, done with no issues. On the way home Friday, I caught a R.R. crossing wrong, (first time at this place) and it nailed the front right wheel, now it is out of lignment again and pulling to the right.

I check everything, all wheel nuts tight, air pressuer correct, all wheel weights accounted for, and even retightened everything underneath.

So now....... are their certain spec numbers for the alignment with a lift? and where do I go from here.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
bcmedic will become famous soon enoughbcmedic will become famous soon enough
bcmedic's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like you should stop ramming into things...

go get another alignment? imo
Old 09-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
So now....... are their certain spec numbers for the alignment with a lift? and where do I go from here.
With your set up, your numbers should be
Camber 0*
Toe 0*
Caster 2.5* to 3.3*

Not sure how hard you are hitting things, but I have had my truck re aligned 3 times in 20 months, from landing off of, and hitting things. Inless you have a SAC, expect to need an alignment after a hard impact.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
take a different route home
Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Caddmannq's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'd be setting up my own alignment rack. Sounds like it'll be a recurring problem if you go fast in the rough.

However, I can't say from here what's really happening.

When you hit something and the alignment changes, it's not normally because those nuts and bolts unscrewed themselves. Either a connection slipped or something (like the frame or a suspension componant) actually bent.

Now I just bought my first Tacoma, and I've barely looked at the suspension. (It's an '09, and only has 3 rear leaves. what's up with that?) So I can't say specifically what adjustments might be slipping, but I'd get it aligned and put some bright paint as a telltale on all the adjustments. If one moves the paint will crack, and you'll know what's going on. If the alignment changes, and the paint is untouched, you're bending things. Things that will probably eventually crack.

Again, I know little about the Tacoma specifically, but I've seen suspension arms on other vehicles bend and crack around the ball joint area before. My first Ford dropped a lower arm to the asphalt when that happened (fortunately at only 10 MPH in a parking lot, and a week after I'd sold it to the unfortunate new owner.)
Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
With your set up, your numbers should be
Camber 0*
Toe 0*
Caster 2.5* to 3.3*

Not sure how hard you are hitting things, but I have had my truck re aligned 3 times in 20 months, from landing off of, and hitting things. Inless you have a SAC, expect to need an alignment after a hard impact.
chriss4x4....thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for.
Like I stated before, and you all can see my ride, I am no nut and slam into things. But it is just like hitting a deer, sometimes S#%* happens.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Banned
RealSouthernPride has a little shameless behaviour in the past
RealSouthernPride's Tacoma Gallery
nifty