Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rate my 2nd gen Lower control arm Bushings.....

View Poll Results: How do these bushings look?
Fine, normal wear after that time, good for another 50k miles 15 55.56%
Worn, Going to need replacement soon 11 40.74%
Toast, get those replaced ASAP 1 3.70%
Other - Please explain 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
Rate my 2nd gen Lower control arm Bushings.....

Having some front end issues, and starting to wonder. I have taken my truck to the dealer, only to not have my issue resolved. When they finally did resolve my issue, the repair caused a few new issues.

Adding A poll, but please add any input.
Fine, normal wear after that time
Worn, Going to need replacement soon
Toast, get those replaced ASAP

so, with out further delay, Here are photos of bushings in questions with 3 years 4 months on the road, or 48,800 miles. I have a 2 inch spacer/leveling lift on the front.

Attached Thumbnails
Rate my 2nd gen Lower control arm Bushings.....-img_0619.jpg   Rate my 2nd gen Lower control arm Bushings.....-img_0629.jpg   Rate my 2nd gen Lower control arm Bushings.....-img_0634.jpg   Rate my 2nd gen Lower control arm Bushings.....-img_0638.jpg   Rate my 2nd gen Lower control arm Bushings.....-img_0642.jpg  

Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Mine look the same
how long has your truck been on the road, and how many miles?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
They look fine. If they were bad, you would see cracking.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Regarding the wandering, loosen the LCA nuts and see if you can turn the alignment cams. There's a chance your cams are seized inside the LCAs. They're not lubricated from the factory.

What did the dealer do to fix the issue, and what new issues were introduced after that?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Mine look the same
x2. its all good
Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Regarding the wandering, loosen the LCA nuts and see if you can turn the alignment cams. There's a chance your cams are seized inside the LCAs. They're not lubricated from the factory.

What did the dealer do to fix the issue, and what new issues were introduced after that?
I had the basic pop/click sound coming from the front end when entering and exiting driveways. I finally figured out that the alignment cams were sliding back and forth. I crawled under the truck with a torque wrench and made sure everything was tightened to specs.

So I take it to the dealer (2nd Trip for the same issue, they tried to blame other things) with picture proof that stuff is moving. They tell me that the lower a-arm bolts are loose, and that they put it on the alignment rack and inspected it, and they claimed everything was fine, just loose bolts.

So I pick up the truck, the main sound I was hearing is gone, but now I have a wheel rub in reverse when backing up.

Here is a pic of the original issue, and that is the bolt is sliding left-right, and the left side of the tab has slowly worn and bent because of it.

Here is a picture of the fix, and now the tire rub in reverse.

I am just a little bit pissed off at this point, and will be taking more steps today.
Attached Thumbnails
Rate my 2nd gen Lower control arm Bushings.....-img_0606.jpg   Rate my 2nd gen Lower control arm Bushings.....-img_2620.jpg  
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
What the hell... did they seriously put the alignment spacer on top of the tabs??
Looks like they ground off the tab entirely.

jdtemple, there's no way that will hold an alignment. The alignment cam has nothing to hold it in place.

I'd be pissed too. You're looking at some grinding and welding to fix this properly.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Looks like they ground off the tab entirely.

jdtemple, there's no way that will hold an alignment. The alignment cams has nothing to hold them in place.

I'd be pissed too. You're looking at some grinding and welding to fix this properly.
Actually they just tightened the cam on top of the tab and almost flattened it. I will post a pic of the view from the bottom. So eventually the problem will re-surface and cost more to fix. I have documents and photos of the entire issue.

At the dealership now, truck is on the rack. This is the last chance to get it right.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #9

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
If all else fails and you know a good welder, buy the "FJ Cruiser & 05+ Tacoma Lower Control Arm Cam Tab Gussets" from Total Chaos and have them installed.

http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_05taco.html

It's a permanent solution. The results will be similar to a custom deal I had made for my truck.

Before, showing the mashed tab:

After, with the LCA mounts reinforced:

Keep us posted!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
That is nice, Excelent solution from TC. Price is not bad either.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #11

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtemple View Post
That is nice, Excelent solution from TC. Price is not bad either.
The TC solution will be a little different than my setup but it's close enough to get the idea. And yeah, you really can't beat the price!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Just a quick update;

They fixed there major screw up, and went above and beyond. They tightened up all the tabs, and so far the alignment is right on the money. I will post pics later.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
.hmmmm...