1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the TRD OR's E-Locker Necessary with ATRAC?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Topgun, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Feb 17, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Don't forget all the cool options you get when choosing the OR version, like complete tow package (comprises lot of stuff!), plug in the bed, differently tuned suspensions...

2. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have the tow package and the bed plug in my Sport .

3. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    bailerc

bailerc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    16' MGM Limited
    how does A-trac compare to dual lockers? as is it good enough to trade in my 08 and get a newer model ?

4. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Oh balls

5. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I have a SR5 4wd with the TRAC and have only gotten stuck once. I tried running a 3-4ft snow bank and got completely high centered. No wheels touching ground.
    I get the feeling that you would be just fine with the 4wd SR5, but more is always fun. For me, budget just didn't allow anything close to the TRD Off Road.

6. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Dual lockers: All 4 tires turning all the time... super traction... doesn't get better. Steering very difficult on hard surfaces (rock roads) since lockers do not allow tires to rotate at different speeds.

A-TRAC: All tires turning until they loose traction (in the air, on ice, mud...), system matches tire rotation across the axle so torque (power/ rotation) is equal on both tires by braking the free spinning tire to match the traction tire. Steering unaffected... but the A-TRAC makes noise.

The A-TRAC turns the truck into a tractor... as do dual lockers. But, it comes equiped from the factory!

7. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Exactly! TRAC in 4H is great (limited slip front and rear)... It outclimbed the truck in L4 with open differentials (A-TRAC OFF).

8. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Bamfs01

Bamfs01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Gray TRD Offroad. Locker, ATrac, DAC
    Stock leaf pack with TSB AAL, Wheelers progressive 3 leaf AAL, and Bilstein 5100's in the rear. Front OME coilovers with 885 coils. Cab mount chop. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/37734-how-tire-rub-cab-mount-mod.html rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/68173-rcbs204-4x4-illuminated-switch.html JBL P963 6x9's and an MTX 10" sub wired inline to the stock HU with a MTX Jackhammer 404 amp. Rear diff breather relocation mod.
    This has been very informative.

Thanks guys

9. Feb 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    And once again, I am going to roundly denounce this as false, as I've had a minimum of 4 instances where A-TRAC didn't and the locker + A-TRAC did. Same line, same momentum, etc.

It's not quite as capable, but it's pretty close.

Unless you're modded, you won't notice the difference anyway. You need at least 3" and 33s to start to push either system. Stock is too clearance limited.

10. Feb 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    j, I am not saying anything false... I wheeled with two other rigs that each had front and rear lockers and my A-TRAC breezed me threw wile they had to repeatedly lock and unlock their locker(s) in order to steer the tight corners on the trail.

So, on steep terrain with loose rocks and lots of sharp turns, the A-TRAC was flawless... This is the same run I did with my other 2 Tacomas using their rear locker.

I think I was clear on saying dual lockers "are the best" for traction... But, Toyota doesn't sell dual lockers... and it would be an extreme rock crawler who would not utilize what the truck comes with and spend a grand for a front locker... Most off roaders may not really need to, given the knowledge of what A-TRAC does.

11. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATRAC is as good as a locker EXCEPT it requires some wheel spin before it will activate. That can cause a loss of momentum or to slide off an obstacle sideways before it can activate (this occurs in less than a second). Once it locks up its as good as a locker but it is continually modulating and seeing if one wheel starts to spin... this means as traction changes you get little differentiations in wheel speed. This means its slipping just a tiny bit. Id say its about 80-90% as good as a locker and does not need any user input... you leave the switch in the on position. It does not effect steering. If you are on very precarious rocks or you need every bit of momentum to get up and over an obstacle the locker is still better and smoother there... but only in those situations IMO and the fact you can turn and not have to be continually switching lockers on and off is great. ATRAC is not a replacement for a real locker but is way better than any limited slip or open diff.

12. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Saying A-TRAC replaces lockers is false. Basically, DevL has it right:

And this is accurate. 90% of the time, A-TRAC will get it done. And it's definitely better than any other LSD system I've ever seen.

That 10% makes a difference though, because that's the deepest shit.

13. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Very well stated... I can agree with everything you posted... thank you!

14. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

If you understood me to say that, with those words... I appologize. What (I think) I have been saying is the A-TRAC increases the Tacoma's ability to easily get into and out of extreme conditions that would have PREVIOUSLY required front and rear lockers to do.

That for a great majority of recreational four wheelers, the A-TRAC (that comes on their Tacoma) will provide all the traction they will need WITHOUT spending an addition fortune for a front locker.

15. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I'll agree with that. A-TRAC gives people options where before it was locker or no go. And I'm on board with the second phrase too - for 99% of people, it's all they need.

This being an enthusiast website, I think it's fair to consider the other 1% as well.

16. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    whiskey101

whiskey101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '17 Super White 4WD TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XQ
    This winter I had an opportunity to test my trucks climbing ability on an ice covered steep driveway. I have a TRD OR and as I turned into the driveway I was in 4HI and started spinning as soon as all wheels were on the ice. I stopped and switched to 4LO with ATAC on. I managed to move a little further up the driveway, but still wasn't half way up. I stopped and turned on the locker. I drove the rest of the way up the drive with some minor spinning. So in my situation, it did make a difference over the ATRAC.

17. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    PWhite13

PWhite13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prescott
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3
    Thread Jack

You gotta Wrangler? Post pics

18. Feb 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    Of course "hardcore offroader" means many things and the wrangler does not fit the bill for all of them;)

19. Feb 17, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Howdy their Vista... I am in Oceanside!

20. Feb 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Yep and what if somebody is in area that those rocks are majority, plus the hill climbs in snow, ice.
    Also lets look at financials
    TRD OF package is 3K+
    for 2K one can install two ARB's and have rear end stay with thicker 8.4. Plus ARB's are not bound by electronic limitations. So if you spinning wheel pulling a boat flip the switch.

Products Discussed in

To Top