1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Treatment for surface rust on chrome bumpers (this works!)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Polymerhead, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Feb 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    D'oh! I have the day off and just spent 2 hours handwashing/detailing my truck. We've had record snow this year, along with record salt treatments, and I hadn't washed it since December. Well, lo and behold I had a LOT of surface rust on the sides of my rear bumper. So much that I thought it wasn't just surface rust. There was more rust than chrome on the left and right bumper faces that sit behind the rear fenders. Back to the dealer, I thought.

Then I remembered something. Being a shooter, I have a tube of JB Bore Paste on hand. It's basically a very mild polish we use when we want to get a rifle bore really clean.

Holy cow. I used about as much paste on one side as you would toothpaste for a brushing, and then rubbed it around with a paper towel. Literally, the rust disappeared instantly. I followed up with some Flitz chrome polish spray and it's good as new!! Took me all of 5 minutes, and saved me a trip to the dealer.

Now I know some people are going to say that rust can't be killed, and once it starts it won't stop. I'll keep an eye on it, but for now it looks showroom new and it took all of 5 minutes.

For those of you who don't have JB around, a tube of Flitz metal polish would be similar (maybe slightly more aggressive). Go a little light if you try Flitz, but it should work just as well. You can get JB from any big online gunstore. And you can get a tube of Flitz at any hardware store for about 5 bucks. Hope it helps someone! Wish I would have taken before-photos, but I didn't think it would work, much less work so amazingly well!

2. Feb 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    I have had luck using dish soap and foil to do this. I used to do it on Bikes when I was young. Living in Indy we had road salt and crap that made my chrome bike rust, so I found this trick out from an older fella, and it worked well too.

3. Feb 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    pmosin

pmosin Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab 4x4 TRD 6spd
    ARE Camper shell
    thanks for the tips. I noticed some surface rust on my bumper which could use some attention.

4. Feb 18, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    ditto on the bumper rust.

but here in buffalo, everything rusts

5. Feb 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Now take the bumper off and do the inside. That is were the rust will mostly be b/c of being unseen and out of sight where it is unreachable. But good find on the rust removing. I'm glad I dont have the problems with rust like you guys up North. :)

6. Feb 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    Thanks, I've got some JB paste down in the shop. I'll try it, as I had the same rusty bumper last weekend when I washed the truck. I used Goof Off and a scotch bright pad.

Polymerhead; hmm? You like Glocks??

Do you belong to ARPC by any chance?

7. Feb 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    I do like Glocks, but the name came from my favorite band (Radiohead) and my first centerfire pistol (XD). I picked it for XD Talk and have been using it ever since.

Oh - and no, sorry - don't know what the ARPC is.

8. Feb 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    If you are near StL, I thought you might belong to my club - Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club.

9. Feb 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    No, sorry - I'm in central MO but I do have some friends who go up to St Louis Benchrest Club and shoot F-Class.

10. Feb 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    once you polish that chrome, clean it very well with a mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol (try to get around 20% alcohol mix). this will remove all polish residues and oils. then the important part - protect it with optimum opti-seal or at the minimum optimum spray wax. both offer superb protection for all exterior materials, including chrome.

it depends on how much you wash, but let's say you wash twice a month...it can't hurt to apply optimum car wax after you wash or while you dry. spray on, wipe off. super easy. even though it has shown to offer up to 5 months durability, layering can only help.

Products Discussed in

To Top