1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need specific questions answered

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Risk007, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Feb 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    Risk007

Risk007 [OP] New Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR 4x4
    Hey all, first post but I've been lurking around the forums for a while now. :spy:

I've been reading and reading trying to flesh out my knowledge about what I want to do to the truck, but there are a few specifics I'm still a bit foggy on.

1) I'm interested in lifting the truck, but I don't want to lift it much. Something right around 2 inches is what I want to shoot for. Now of course there are a million threads on this, and I've tried to read as much as I can but it just gets to be a bit overwhelming to wade through. I've pretty much decided that when I do, I want to go the 5100 route, but would I just want to do just shocks and AAL or would I also want to get an eibach spring set? When I do it, I want to do it right. I'm cheap, but I don't want to skimp when its going to cost me in the long run. Again, keep in mind that I don't want to do much over 2 in and I plan on doing any heavy wheeling. I also want to avoid any drive line or diff case issues.

2) I just bought the truck, an 08 DC TRD OR, 34,XXX and was wondering if there is a way to tell if its had the rear leaf TSB done to it already. It sits pretty level as is so I'm guessing it hasn't, but it would be nice to be certain.

3) My truck is red, and I like the red/black combination, especially when it comes to the headlights. Obviously, BHLM is an option, but I came across these.
    http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/2005_9999_tacoma/lights/headlights/spyder_auto/spyd00110506.html
    I've heard about the EBAY black headlights...was just wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions on these or something similar. I'm not looking to blind anyone, I just want to at least maintain my current light intensity and improve the look of the front end. Basically just want to know if they are complete crap or a viable head light option.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    1) Long term for the lift, get springs and 5100's and OME or OME Springs and shocks (OME is MY opinion) and get UCA's to bring the alignment back to factory specs.
    2)Check to see if you have 3 leaf springs or 4. 4 leafs in the rear is the TSB, if you don't have the TSB you have 2k miles to get it done... so get on it.
    3)BHLM>eBay lights. Or if you are looking to do a projector retro, do it right and call Matt at The Retrofit Source.

3. Feb 21, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    karatekid14

karatekid14 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Butler PA
    This is what I JUST ordered, I have a 2006 DC Long bed. If you're willing to wait a week or two I can send you pictures...

$285 for the four new 5100 bilstein shocks at www.DownSouthMotorsports.com

$170 for eibach coils at www.ToyTechLifts.com (I didn't shop around, they might be cheaper somewhere else)

$70 for the rear blocks at www.ebay.com

I did have a dinky $150 Procomp three inch lift. It consisted of front spacers and an add a leaf but I have a bad experience with the AAL, I haul stuff in my bed and I think over time that leaf flexed and is sagging, now my rear is lower than the front. And the front it stiff and a little rough. So that's why I decided to do a complete suspension swap.

I was going to go with OME I've heard nothing but good things from people who have them, but I couldn't beat the price when I saw it was $285 with free S&H. On ToyTech for the same package, they want like $395 + S&H. Let me know if you're going to wait and want pics from me.

4. Feb 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    Costa09

Costa09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    GA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    This is the best answer, just get the adjustable billy's and springs with it. Light racing UCA's

after 34xxx you have to pay out of pocket to get the TSB

and the same for three

5. Feb 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Risk007

Risk007 [OP] New Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR 4x4
    Karatekid: Yeah, I'm def interested in pics so by all means post them up when you get your setup installed. As far as the rear goes, I've just never heard to many up sides to using blocks, and an AAL is about the same price.

Toytec has a complete lift kit using bilsteins with coils that costs $650 which isn't much more than your parts added up and it comes with a few extra odds and ends to correct for minor things.

My issue with OME's is that they aren't adjustable and I don't see myself wanting to go quite that high with the lift. I'm guessing I'm just going set the 5100's at 1.75 and be done. Hopefully that will minimize any problems.

6. Feb 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    hamNswiss on rye

hamNswiss on rye ¡Yo Quiero Taco World!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Scottsdale, AZ/Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 Access Cab
    OME 885's and billies all around, allpro apex front bumper, Nfab tire carrier, black magic rallye 1000 driving lights, custom back to the future light rack, KC LED Daylighters, PIAA 510 fogs, bed lights, satoshi, 285/70/17 Duratracs
    how did you get all 4 for 285? did you use a TW promotion code?

7. Feb 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    1) im going with the 5100s all around w/ eibach coils and an add a leaf( as soon as the parts come in for my leaf TSB) ill let you know if i get it done before you make up your mind

3) i got some black headlights from ebay, if you search 2005-2010 headlights theyll come up// i paid like 115 shipped and they fit AWESOME and they dont leak AT ALL.. they arent projectors.. ill post a pic in a few minutes of them..

8. Feb 21, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The pictured arent that great due to reflection off the lens... but i am very satisfied with the quality and fitment of these headlights. i have 8000K HID bulbs and red 9-LED bulbs in the corner lenses, and just regular amber turn signals..

9. Feb 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    Risk007

Risk007 [OP] New Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR 4x4
    hamNswiss...yeah, that would be my guess. All 4 shocks are $300 and the promo code gives you a 5% discount.

KevLot, nice looking front end. I've found the BHLM sets on Ebay, but just not sure how anxious I am to take the chance. They seem to be pretty hit or miss when it comes to quality. I'll prob just end up snagging a used set of OEM lights to mess around with. Do a BHLM and then try a retro projector depending on how masochistic I'm feeling.

10. Feb 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    My buddy, on Tacoma World (ArmyTaco) bought a set of BHLM type ebay lights and the light pattern was very poor. Lots of "hot spots" and very poor beam uniformity.

11. Feb 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    I guess, as with any aftermarket product, it IS hit or miss... i just got lucky i guess. mine arent factory lights that got BHLM'd. theyre full aftermarket, just flat black background and smoked turn signal lens.. most people say to put a bead of clear silicone around the lens/housing seal cause most of them leak.. i didnt do this just to test them and they havnt leaked one bit.. no difference in light pattern, im actually going to be removing the little 'cone like thing' in front of the bulb, this should make them brighter... not sure though but for 115 a set its worth takin the chance..

12. Feb 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I am not a big fan of prepackaged add-a-leaf packages, but I have been known to buy leaves the right width and thickness, with a center hole punched and then trimmed and arched to my needs.

13. Feb 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

For me , this guy gets it !! Props to you dude, this is what I did to my stock sorry ass springs (found 4 old Ford springs added 2 to each side, got 3") But I digress, I've got a 1st gen but think it may be applicable to your situation. Guys he's looking to lift no more than 2" & I can't speak for 2nd gens but the OME & Eibach springs are going to put him way more than he's looking for pretty sure, I'd go with 5100's all corners THEN do the TSB if it isn't done yet, set the fronts to the 3rd groove & check results get alignment after of course, solid,functional, & won't empty your wallet either... just my $.02 :cool:

14. Feb 25, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    karatekid14

karatekid14 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Butler PA
    Toytec does have that complete bilstein lift for $650 but then add the high shipping of $70, it jumps up to $720. Mine was $525 including the shipping, I already had the differential hardward from my previous lift kit.

I'm not really thrilled about trying out blocks for the rear but my last AAL sagged and let me down. My friend has nearly the same truck as me, he runs the blocks and has a nice ride so I'm trying them out.

For the DownSouthMotorsprts you do have to use the Promo code.

Products Discussed in

To Top