Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

dusty engine

Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
jimiola is on a distinguished road
jimiola's Tacoma Gallery
dusty engine

I was off in the dusty desert(ok Burningman)and now my engine compartment is dusty-can I just spray the engine with water to clean it off? I think it should be ok if I stay clear of the air intake.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, its not a problem at all. just make sure you do it when the engine is cold to avoid causing damage to the block from rapid heat differential. i clean minecarefully with a pressure washer every once and a while, i just keep clear of electronic connections to avoid electrical system issues. keeps it looking like new under there.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If the engine is "Hot" you can still clean it, just keep it running when you spray it. No differetn than driveing thru a stream or in the rain. Like mentioned above, keep clear of the pullies and electrical components.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I heard to cover the battery and either the starter or alternator. Need clarification on that.

But when spraying water, use light pressure, not high pressure, so as not to get into wiring and electricals.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I heard to cover the battery and either the starter or alternator. Need clarification on that.

But when spraying water, use light pressure, not high pressure, so as not to get into wiring and electricals.
Cover/avoid the Alternator. Battery will be fine, and the starter is pretty safe.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
I have used a hose and spray nozzle at home on my past trucks and have never had a problem but agree to do it with the engine cool or if it must be done while warm/hot leave her running.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimiola View Post
I was off in the dusty desert(ok Burningman)and now my engine compartment is dusty-can I just spray the engine with water to clean it off? I think it should be ok if I stay clear of the air intake.
Instead of turning the dust to mud by spraying water on it, why not just blow the dust out with an air gun.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
Instead of turning the dust to mud by spraying water on it, why not just blow the dust out with an air gun.
Id rather use a water hose. Compressed air can blow the dirt to where it shouldnt be. JMHO. Last time I used compressed air to clean my truck, I blew the buttons on the stereo INTO the stereo.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
hose it off with the motor either cold, or while running...avoid the alternator, and intake if you have an open filter, and let the truck run a few minutes after you are done so it can dry it out. i usually hose mine off in the mornings before i crank it up, then run it a bit to get it dry.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Last time I used compressed air to clean my truck, I blew the buttons on the stereo INTO the stereo.

Hahaha that's just awesome!!!
Talk about an oh shit moment.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
A bit too much Psi there chris.
I know.......I seem to think if 130 psi is good for dusting the house, its good for cleaneing the truck.