Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange sounds - need help.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
CDN Tacoma Lover is on a distinguished road
CDN Tacoma Lover's Tacoma Gallery
Strange sounds - need help.

Hi guys

I just bought my 2009 Tacoma TRD double cab last week. I just noticed a strange sound whenever i hit between 50km\h (30mph) and 30km\h (19mph) it seems to be its loudest at 40km\h (25mph). It is kind of hard to explain the sound... it almost sounds like a humming sound.
I am trying to do some research on the bearings... do they tend to have bearing issues?
Any ideas you guys may have will help[.

Thanks again.

PS: I love the truck... I waited a while to buy it. Totally worth the wait.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
put it in 4 wheel drive and see if the noise goes away
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Do you get a vibration at the same time ?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Thanks for the quick reply...

Nope the truck is not lifted... There really isn't a vibration... I tried in 4WD... same noise... just not as loud.
It almost sounds like the tranny is winding down... not sure. T

The other thing is when I am pressing the gas the sound seems to go away... but when I take my fot off the gas, and coasting... is when is starts. Weird!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Well I dropped off the truck at the local stealership... they have ordered a new rear diff carrier assy.
I have to admit... I am a little worried that my truck with only 25,000Km has already gone thru one rear diff.

Does anyone know if this is has been an issue with these trucks?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Tacoma Lover View Post
Well I dropped off the truck at the local stealership... they have ordered a new rear diff carrier assy.
I have to admit... I am a little worried that my truck with only 25,000Km has already gone thru one rear diff.

Does anyone know if this is has been an issue with these trucks?

Thanks again for your help.
Odd , keep us updated .
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply...

Nope the truck is not lifted... There really isn't a vibration... I tried in 4WD... same noise... just not as loud.
It almost sounds like the tranny is winding down... not sure. T

The other thing is when I am pressing the gas the sound seems to go away... but when I take my fot off the gas, and coasting... is when is starts. Weird!
I know reg cabs get a noise from their rear driveline even on some stock vehicles. The noise goes away once you step on the gas, but returns while coasting. However, in reg cabs, this noise becomes worst at higher speeds
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
I'll keep everyone posted on what happens. Its all covered under warranty, but still kind of freaks me out.
After doing some serious reading last night on here... they are also changing out the fan blower motor, and Resistor.

I am totally hooked on this site. I have never joined a forum... lovin it.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
Just got back from the dealership... They did in deed change out the rear carrier assy... and the noise is gone.
when I asked them about the issue... they just said, we have had to change out a few of them. Apparently bad parts.
That's all i could dig up on them.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just got back from the dealership... They did in deed change out the rear carrier assy... and the noise is gone.
when I asked them about the issue... they just said, we have had to change out a few of them. Apparently bad parts.
That's all i could dig up on them.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Glad you found a fix. Thanks for keeping people posted.