Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

me and ryanj attempted to install rear door handles on my truck

Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
me and ryanj attempted to install rear door handles on my truck

but the door handles are hard to take off and we couldnt figure it out even after reading some instructions on tw, ryan said the instructions are too vague. can anyone explain to us the process w alittle more detail?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
ChuckD05 is on a distinguished road
ChuckD05's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure you have to take the rear door panels off the access the hole where you loosen the nut to take them off.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
pretty sure we did that.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
I recall someone on TW who instllaed color matching door handles. If you search you may find it. He did a nice writeup, it was rather simple.

I think you open the door and there is a screw that must be undone and the handle assembly comes out very easily. The only tool you need is a phillips screwdriver if I recall.

EDIT (The rear is different, see if this helps):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyTaco View Post
I just figured it out, and it is pretty easy...

You remove the door panel by unscrewing the screw by the inside handle and the arm rest.

Remove the window switch and D/C the plug

You carefully pry out the panel, starting at the bottom closest to the cab of the door, and work your way up.

Once the door panel is off you will see one screw holding the outside handle, unscrew that with a T-30 bit, next you will see a rubber piece hiding the screw to the window guide remove that, and with a 10mm socket unscrew the bolt, then unscrew the bolt above it by the window.

Remove the wires that are by the window slide, it is a round thing that you can D/C with your fingernail. Off to the side there are 3 bolts holding the lock mechanism remove those and the lock should fall down allowing access to the bolt holding the end of the handle or where you could stick a key in. Unscrew that and pop out the end of the handle, I used a screw driver in between the handle and the little rubber piece.

Slide out the gripping part of the handle and replace with the new ones. After all of that is done put everything back together. Hope this helps, and is my first little write up let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
El Pitufo

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
thanks alot we're giving it another try tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery

Removed the torx screw. Did all this yesterday, not seeing how to go forward with handle removal. Wtf?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This thread isn't offering much help either. lol

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...or-handle.html

I can't even tell what half of the pictures are.

http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...6ta/062009.pdf
Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I think KPT changed his door handles to colormatched. You may try to PM him, maybe he can help.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDTACO View Post
I think KPT changed his door handles to colormatched. You may try to PM him, maybe he can help.
Cool, I just PM'd him.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I can't even tell what half of the pictures are.

http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...6ta/062009.pdf
18 (b) and 18 (c)...where are these claws at??
Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Holy hell that pdf is confusing.

From what I remember, once you remove the torx screw, the only other thing in the way is the latching mechanism on the side (profile) of the door. There are couple of bolts to take out there, and when you push the latching mechanism into the door and out of the way there shoudl be another torx screw to remove.

I definitely didn't remove any "claws" or "trim brackets" like the instructions show to do.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Holy hell that pdf is confusing.

From what I remember, once you remove the torx screw, the only other thing in the way is the latching mechanism on the side (profile) of the door. There are couple of bolts to take out there, and when you push the latching mechanism into the door and out of the way there shoudl be another torx screw to remove.

I definitely didn't remove any "claws" or "trim brackets" like the instructions show to do.
Alright, I'll remove the latch and take pics. Fuck.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alright, I'll remove the latch and take pics. Fuck.
You can't really "remove it" per se. You have to unbolt it and push it into the door and out of the way....I'm really trying to remember this but i did it over a year ago
Old 02-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
You guys still fucking around with that ???.....

j/k Door trim,handles,swithches all that shit can be a real bitch to do without destroying everything in your path... especially going at it blind (not doing it before)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Mob parking lots.

So, remove those 3 torx bolts, and unclip the white wiring harness.

Just let the latch assembly hang inside the door.

Loosen that torx bolt inside. There is a plastic retainer so the bolt won't come all the way out or fall inside the door.

Gently pry off the end cap, and remove the handle. BOOM.

Thanks for the insight KPT!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Loosen that torx bolt inside. There is a plastic retainer so the bolt won't come all the way out or fall inside the door.

Glad I could help Ryan.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
El Pitufo

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
thanks kpt
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioso View Post
thanks kpt

Hey , why aren't you guys thanking me ?? I had yer backs all the way thru this, ya know... cheering you on !! Some gratitude !!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #19
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Hey , why aren't you guys thanking me ?? I had yer backs all the way thru this, ya know... cheering you on !! Some gratitude !!
Oh, thanks Doug. For calling me a ride whore, TW slut, and your "bald sister." lol

Ass.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
El Pitufo

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
rofl bald sister