Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 TRD Off road vs. 4x4 TRD Sport vs. 4x4 SR5

Old 02-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
simcoetacoma is on a distinguished road
simcoetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 TRD Off road vs. 4x4 TRD Sport vs. 4x4 SR5

If you were in the market for an all round nice truck which option would you choose and why--4x4 TRD Off road vs. 4x4 TRD Sport vs. 4x4 SR5? Insight would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for something between built between 2009 and 2011.
Thank-you.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
What do you want the truck to do? The clues are in the names.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
To see the option packages, your best resource is the Toyota webpage. Depending on what you want to do with it will dictate which model best suits you. I've got an SR5 4x4 and, for what I use it for, it works well. I don't off road really to speak of. To me, it's a daily driver, a toy hauler and a camper.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Those are second generation Tacomas... otherwise, I was about to tell you there was no Sport TRD before 2005 (this question is in the First Generation forum)...

Now that that is out of the way, I would get the Off Road TRD (and have), because for the money, I want my truck to have the maximum traction ability to get as far off the highway as possible... and never need to be pulled out by anyone else!

Only the Off Road TRD has a locking rear differential... and '09 + 4WD Off Roads have A-TRAC.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I forsee lots of fail in this thread.

I bought my offroad because I offroad. I don't have mod the drivetrain at all for the type and frequency of offroading I do because ATRAC and the rear locker is all the traction I need. If you drive it on the street then the SR5 or Sport is great. If you plan on adding lockers the SR5 is the best bang for your buck.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
simcoetacoma is on a distinguished road
simcoetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I probably will not do too much offroading, but I will do some. I want a truck that will maintain its value and be as reliable as possible over time. It seems as though I can get a used TRD off road for about $1500 more than an SR5. Based on the range of options offered in the TRD offroad it seems as though it is worthwhile to spend the extra 1500...?

I'm not sure if I understand you right--If you plan on adding lockers the SR5 is the best bang for your buck. Can you please elaborate.

I appreciate the comments.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Since the 09 and up offroad package comes with ATRAC on the 4wd models a front locker would render ATRAC useless. The SR5 doesn't have ATRAC so you don't pay for something you aren't going to use after you add lockers.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoetacoma View Post
I'm not sure if I understand you right--If you plan on adding lockers the SR5 is the best bang for your buck. Can you please elaborate.

If that statement confuses you, you should probably just go with the SR5 or the Sport.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
If that statement confuses you, you should probably just go with the SR5 or the Sport.
X2.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoetacoma View Post
I want a truck that will maintain its value and be as reliable as possible over time.
Well, since you are here....

The 1st generation Tacoma's ('96 thru '04) have proven to hold their value way beyond expectations. The newer ('09 thru '11) models are as yet unproven in this regard. There is some evidence the 2nd gens are not as durable as the 1st gens which may impact their ability to hold value long term.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Well, since you are here....

The 1st generation Tacoma's ('96 thru '04) have proven to hold their value way beyond expectations. The newer ('09 thru '11) models are as yet unproven in this regard.
2nd gens hold their resale just as well as 1st gens.

Quote:
There is some evidence the 2nd gens are not as durable as the 1st gens which may impact their ability to hold value long term.
There's anecdotal evidence, which is worthless. Please read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal

Everything statistically valid says Tacoma quality is as good as it's ever been.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
I love my I4 SR5.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #14
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
Isnt SR5 just power windows/locks? I have a TRD sport SR5 so not sure what came with what.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
why are we discussing 2nd gen trucks in the 1 gen forum??? this seems to happen quite a bit

mods need to monitor this more and move these threads to the correct forums
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantaco View Post
why are we discussing 2nd gen trucks in the 1 gen forum??? this seems to happen quite a bit

With 40,000 members, and as many posts per day as there are, the Moderators also rely on the members to help by reporting threads that may be in violation, or in the wrong place. We cant see everything.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
all TRD's will also have the SR5 package but not all SR5's have the TRD.
TRD is the top of line for tacomas.

in your case I would go with either the sport or just SR5. the Sport has color matched grill, door handles, and rear bumper and hood scoop. it will have better seats, steering wheel controls for the radio, overhead temp and compass, power outlet in the bed. 17" wheels

the sr5 is pretty basic but has keyless entry, cruise control...chrome grill and rear bumper
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantaco View Post

I'm on my phone so I didn't see it. Too bad so sad.

You would be a crappy mod.

Edit: Taptalk does give the thread location and it says 2nd gen.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
TacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone is so angry this morning!!