1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about driving in sand

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Blue07Taco, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Feb 24, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    Blue07Taco

Blue07Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Its blue
    TRD intake/ exhaust
    Sorry for the noob question but we don't have much sand around where I am, but the other night I drove down to look at the river since it was nice out and all the snow melted. The road down to the river is a sandy muddy mix. As I was turning around my left front tire hit a soft spot and sank down a few inchs. I didn't even try to get it out in 2wd like I would in the mud. I went straight to 4H and put the locker on and hit the gas like I would in the mud. The truck moved about 3 foot and stoped and there I sat digging 4 holes untill my truck was sitting on the running boards. My tires aren't perfect but they are alittle over half tread (General Grabber AT2, 265/75/16). Is it better to have slow wheel speed in the sandy stuff or give her hell like it's mud? Im used to wheeling in the mud but I don't normally go out wheeling in the sand, but if Im ever in a situation like that again, what is the best way to approach the sandy conditions, loose or packed?

2. Feb 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
  3. Feb 24, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C
    Flooring it in the sand is pretty much the opposite of what you want to do... If you're having troubles air down and easy on the gas while keeping your momentum going if you can.

4. Feb 24, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Don't spin the wheels, you will only sink. Real light on the gas and try to rock her back and forth a bit to gain some momentum. Airing down is also key.

5. Feb 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

I thought the rocking (Reverse to D repeatedly) was bad for the clutch or transmission or something. Am I wrong:confused:

6. Feb 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C
    If you're careful it's not that bad for it... However if you're like my step brother and pin it and just shift back and forth as fast as you can, yeah your tranny is gunna get wrecked real quick just like his.

7. Feb 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Air down to 15 pounds in front and 10-12 in the rear!!! I also heard or read somewhere general grabbers aren't the greatest in sand...

8. Feb 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    Blue07Taco

Blue07Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Its blue
    TRD intake/ exhaust
    It works good in mud. Also a lot easier if you have a manual. Autos suck for 4wheelin IMO. This is also the 1st auto I have ever owned.
    I broke 3 teeth off the ring gear in my 05 Tacoma (6 spd) from rocking it in the mud....oops

Sounds like its best to treat sand like snow. We do get that in Iowa

BTW....I did try rocking it until I thought I was to the point of burning the fluid. It was starting to shift slow.

9. Feb 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Sand, even wet sand... ALWAYS DEFLATE your tires IF your forward speed changes to downward motion!!! In sand: LESS is BEST (air, that is)!

See the link in my sig. right below... 32 psi to 15 psi... while that sand was not in the water like I guess yours was, the principle still works.

Also, automatics can be better for sand driving... less chance of you burying yourself popping the clutch.

10. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I guess it all depends on the type of sand...?

Low Range has too much torque for soft/loose sand and will dig you down to China very quickly.

Unless you are already stuck, and have then deflated, only use low range to get out of the hole with light applications of power... Use the rear locker or A-TRAC to get unstuck, if you have them... Once you have floatation, use H4 to move about on sand... It isn't about horsepower, it is about floatation.

11. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    I think he means torque, that is what we produce at low end and hp comes on later

Products Discussed in

To Top