Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question about driving in sand

Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Blue07Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Blue07Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Question about driving in sand

Sorry for the noob question but we don't have much sand around where I am, but the other night I drove down to look at the river since it was nice out and all the snow melted. The road down to the river is a sandy muddy mix. As I was turning around my left front tire hit a soft spot and sank down a few inchs. I didn't even try to get it out in 2wd like I would in the mud. I went straight to 4H and put the locker on and hit the gas like I would in the mud. The truck moved about 3 foot and stoped and there I sat digging 4 holes untill my truck was sitting on the running boards. My tires aren't perfect but they are alittle over half tread (General Grabber AT2, 265/75/16). Is it better to have slow wheel speed in the sandy stuff or give her hell like it's mud? Im used to wheeling in the mud but I don't normally go out wheeling in the sand, but if Im ever in a situation like that again, what is the best way to approach the sandy conditions, loose or packed?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Flooring it in the sand is pretty much the opposite of what you want to do... If you're having troubles air down and easy on the gas while keeping your momentum going if you can.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Don't spin the wheels, you will only sink. Real light on the gas and try to rock her back and forth a bit to gain some momentum. Airing down is also key.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
Don't spin the wheels, you will only sink. Real light on the gas and try to rock her back and forth a bit to gain some momentum. Airing down is also key.

I thought the rocking (Reverse to D repeatedly) was bad for the clutch or transmission or something. Am I wrong
Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
If you're careful it's not that bad for it... However if you're like my step brother and pin it and just shift back and forth as fast as you can, yeah your tranny is gunna get wrecked real quick just like his.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Air down to 15 pounds in front and 10-12 in the rear!!! I also heard or read somewhere general grabbers aren't the greatest in sand...
Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Blue07Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Blue07Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
I thought the rocking (Reverse to D repeatedly) was bad for the clutch or transmission or something. Am I wrong
It works good in mud. Also a lot easier if you have a manual. Autos suck for 4wheelin IMO. This is also the 1st auto I have ever owned.
I broke 3 teeth off the ring gear in my 05 Tacoma (6 spd) from rocking it in the mud....oops

Sounds like its best to treat sand like snow. We do get that in Iowa

BTW....I did try rocking it until I thought I was to the point of burning the fluid. It was starting to shift slow.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Sand, even wet sand... ALWAYS DEFLATE your tires IF your forward speed changes to downward motion!!! In sand: LESS is BEST (air, that is)!

See the link in my sig. right below... 32 psi to 15 psi... while that sand was not in the water like I guess yours was, the principle still works.

Also, automatics can be better for sand driving... less chance of you burying yourself popping the clutch.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I guess it all depends on the type of sand...?

Low Range has too much torque for soft/loose sand and will dig you down to China very quickly.

Unless you are already stuck, and have then deflated, only use low range to get out of the hole with light applications of power... Use the rear locker or A-TRAC to get unstuck, if you have them... Once you have floatation, use H4 to move about on sand... It isn't about horsepower, it is about floatation.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
... It isn't about horsepower, it is about floatation.
I think he means torque, that is what we produce at low end and hp comes on later