Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

WRX exhaust tone

Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
This will get moved to the performance section so you'll get more answers there.

I've personally haven't heard of anyone making their truck sound like a WRX.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
WRXs sound the way they do because they use a boxer engine not simply because of a muffler choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-4

But that would be sweet if a muffler could do it:

http://hksusa.com/info/media.asp?id=1759
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!
MOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
MOT's Tacoma Gallery
OMG FAIL!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOB! lol
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
When you say WRX are you talking about a subaru WRX? I could be completely off base ha.
But I do know the sound you here from those subarus are coming from the boxer engine. I havnt seen any videos of taco's sounding like a wrx but I also havnt searched.

(again I could be off base here if you're talking about something different lol)
Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
You would need to have unequal length headers in order to get the characteristic

blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap

that subarus make when driving by.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!
MOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
MOT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
WRXs sound the way they do because they use a boxer engine not simply because of a muffler choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-4

But that would be sweet if a muffler could do it:

http://hksusa.com/info/media.asp?id=1759
Question answered close this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
You would need to have unequal length headers in order to get the characteristic

blap blap blap
blap blap blap blap blap blap

Lol Brah
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdered_Out_Taco View Post

Lol Brah

I used to own a wrx and I had a shirt that said "blap blap blap blap"
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
probably just disconnect a couple of spark plugs because those things sound like they are only running on a couple of cylinders.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Yes a Subaru WRX, on the gas they have a very respectable exhaust tone. It may be the boxer type engine, but then again so isn't a VW and they don't sound close. Even an older Porsche is not the same.

I don't expect it to be just the muffler but as said maybe the exhaust design itself with the cam settings.

I had toyed with getting the DTLT headers and ditching the Y pipe and cats, then run two into the muffler then one single outlet tailpipe that's not very long.

The WRX doesn't have that long schoolbus tailpipe tone nor the tinny jap trix sound.

PK
Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
Yes a Subaru WRX, on the gas they have a very respectable exhaust tone. It may be the boxer type engine, but then again so isn't a VW and they don't sound close. Even an older Porsche is not the same.

I don't expect it to be just the muffler but as said maybe the exhaust design itself with the cam settings.

I had toyed with getting the DTLT headers and ditching the Y pipe and cats, then run two into the muffler then one single outlet tailpipe that's not very long.

The WRX doesn't have that long schoolbus tailpipe tone nor the tinny jap trix sound.

PK
Have you looked at where the engine is on VW vs a Suby? The Suby has an up pipe, turbo, downpipe and a long exhaust to blow through before the exhaust reaches atmosphere. All of that will change the exhaust note around. There is no way you will ever get your truck to sound like a Subaru unless you swap in a Subaru engine. You have a V6 and it will always sound like a V6.

Once while I was in Glamis with a few people a rail with a Subaru engine drove by. Is sounded like a normal 4 banger. This one guy said "Huh. It must be running a Porsche engine." Well he was wrong. It sounds that way because there is virtually no exhaust pipe since the engine is at the back of the rail.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post

blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap

X2
Its the headers not the boxer engine
(used to have an STI)
Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Have you looked at where the engine is on VW vs a Suby? The Suby has an up pipe, turbo, downpipe and a long exhaust to blow through before the exhaust reaches atmosphere. All of that will change the exhaust note around. There is no way you will ever get your truck to sound like a Subaru unless you swap in a Subaru engine.

Once while I was in Glamis with a few people a rail with a Subaru engine drove by. Is sounded like a normal 4 banger. This one guy said "Huh. It must be running a Porsche engine." Well he was wrong. It sounds that way because there is virtually no exhaust pipe since the engine is at the back of the rail.
Thanks, a WRX engine compartment is something I have not seen up close.

It's not so much getting the exact sound. No doubt a turbo will change the tone.

I guess the question now is how long are the pipes after the muffler.

I also speculate the intake is adding some to the tone also.

While the WRX in the truck is novel, we know it won't happen.

Mainly asking to get some ideas on how to build my exhaust.

PK
Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Banned
Most run DTLT headers and some kind of catback. I would not remove the last set of cats because you will lose low end power.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah short pipes and a Turbo make them sing... this thread reminds me of the guy on here that wanted the Bugatti exhaust note.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
While the WRX in the truck is novel, we know it won't happen.
Subaru Baja. Same 2.5 as in the STI just detuned. I would drive one.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerussell610 View Post
probably just disconnect a couple of spark plugs because those things sound like they are only running on a couple of cylinders.
Happened to me when I had an Integra, was running on 3 cyclinders and I was snaggin every chick up and down the block.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
this thread reminds me of the guy on here that wanted the Bugatti exhaust note.
WHAAAA?!... I totally missed that one
Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
WHAAAA?!... I totally missed that one
Some guy wanted his Taco to sound like a 350Z so we all gave him crap. One of the guys decided to be funny and make a similar thread but with a Veyron exhaust question.