1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WRX exhaust tone

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PMK, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    PMK

PMK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    So I want to ask, having listened to various you tube passes, read posts about how awesome this or that exhaust sounds, and seen bolt on systems both praised and slammed for various reasons by folks here...

Does anyone have an exhaust that sounds similar to a WRX? If so, what components made it happen.

PK

2. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    This will get moved to the performance section so you'll get more answers there.

I've personally haven't heard of anyone making their truck sound like a WRX.

3. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    OMG FAIL!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOB! lol ;)

4. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    When you say WRX are you talking about a subaru WRX? I could be completely off base ha.
    But I do know the sound you here from those subarus are coming from the boxer engine. I havnt seen any videos of taco's sounding like a wrx but I also havnt searched.

(again I could be off base here if you're talking about something different lol)

5. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You would need to have unequal length headers in order to get the characteristic

blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap blap

that subarus make when driving by.

6. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    Question answered close this thread! :eek: :locked:

Lol Brah :cool:

7. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:

I used to own a wrx and I had a shirt that said "blap blap blap blap" :laugh:

8. Feb 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    probably just disconnect a couple of spark plugs because those things sound like they are only running on a couple of cylinders.

9. Feb 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Yes a Subaru WRX, on the gas they have a very respectable exhaust tone. It may be the boxer type engine, but then again so isn't a VW and they don't sound close. Even an older Porsche is not the same.

I don't expect it to be just the muffler but as said maybe the exhaust design itself with the cam settings.

I had toyed with getting the DTLT headers and ditching the Y pipe and cats, then run two into the muffler then one single outlet tailpipe that's not very long.

The WRX doesn't have that long schoolbus tailpipe tone nor the tinny jap trix sound.

PK

10. Feb 24, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport

Cowboy what's your problem?

Not as if I came here slamming your truck, you or the wedding photos you posted with your truck build.

Anyone with some decent info, even if wrong but worth looking at, let's hear what you have to say.

Thanks
    PK

11. Feb 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    X2
    Its the headers not the boxer engine
    (used to have an STI)

12. Feb 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    Thanks, a WRX engine compartment is something I have not seen up close.

It's not so much getting the exact sound. No doubt a turbo will change the tone.

I guess the question now is how long are the pipes after the muffler.

I also speculate the intake is adding some to the tone also.

While the WRX in the truck is novel, we know it won't happen.

Mainly asking to get some ideas on how to build my exhaust.

PK

13. Feb 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Yeah short pipes and a Turbo make them sing... this thread reminds me of the guy on here that wanted the Bugatti exhaust note.

14. Feb 24, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    Happened to me when I had an Integra, was running on 3 cyclinders and I was snaggin every chick up and down the block.

15. Feb 24, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    WHAAAA?!... I totally missed that one :laugh:

16. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    haha! wow.

17. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    :rofl:

18. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    like someone said before, the 'boxer' engine sound isnt because it is a boxer engine, its because they have unequal length headers. When Subie owners really want power, they swap in equal length headers in which case the subie sounds like any regular 4banger. Scion tCs have aftermarket unequal length headers available which makes them sound like subies.

19. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Sheeeeeeesh kicking a guy in the dick cause he posted his wedding pics in his build thread? Harsh PK!!!

Its not just a build thread to some people. Some people consider it their "everything" thread. So why not put whatever you want in it?

20. Feb 24, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    PMK

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    So short pipes in overall length or short pipe after the muffler.

While a Bugatti tone would be nice, it's ok it will never have it.

Again I'm asking not for some huge power gain or wanna be supercar sound.

Maybe it's just not worth doing, but it is worth asking.

PK

Products Discussed in

To Top