1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coolant

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pster, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Feb 24, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    Pster

Pster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Do I have to go to a Toyota Dealer to get coolant for my V6 Taco? I have read threads on TacomaWorld about how important it is to add the right type of coolant. My reservoir is below LOW and I need to add some. No leaks, not sure why it is LOW, but I have not added any water since I bought the truck. Does it lose water over time just to evaporation somehow?

2. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    It does evaporate over time. After 5 1/2 years, mine was at the low mark having never added anything. So it's no surprise if yours is at that point now. I would just go to the dealer and get the right stuff (SLLC: Super Long Life Coolant). If you were a little low, you could have just added water, but I wouldn't do that if it's really low because you wouldn't want the reservoir to freeze. The SLLC from Toyota comes premixed.

3. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    If you are mysteriously losing coolant try replacing the radiator cap. This worked on my 1998 Corolla, but I don't know why.

4. Feb 24, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    X2. I topped up my coolant reservoir after about 2 years and 83xxx km. Used pre-mixed SLLC coolant. That was before Christmas and my level is still good. It was at "low" and I poured enough in when cool to bring it to "full."

If you're worried you could have the system pressure checked, but it's probably normal.

5. Feb 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    I know you can get Toyota coolant at CarQuest. Maybe some other places but I'm not sure.
    If you are just adding some to the overflow tank I would use some distilled water and call it good.

Products Discussed in

To Top