Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CHANGING OIL 1st TIME on my '05 TACOMA, 14MM socket

Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
adrianm2627 is on a distinguished road
adrianm2627's Tacoma Gallery
CHANGING OIL 1st TIME on my '05 TACOMA, 14MM socket

Hello All,

I have come to the unfortunate end of my pre-paid maintenance (50,000) since I first purchased my vehicle.

I do have problem though. I bought the OEM filter to do my oil change. I read that a 14mm will do the job for letting the oil out, and so far it does fit.

However, the Toyota Techs must have used some power tool to tighten the bolt to where it is nearly impossible to undo. It is so tight that the socket keeps slipping off.

Has anyone had this problem? The tool that I have is not great, so I definitely want to invest in a tool that is strong enough to undo it, at the same time I don't know much about them. The tool I have appears to be a short wratchet handle that is "5.5 inches long. The socket is 14mm and 2 inches long. This tool has seen better days.

Can anyone recommend anything that will untighten the Toyota Tech's deadly grip without having to spend more days setting up an appointment and waiting?

Any input will be appreciated.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
try a six point short socket...and a longer handle
Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you need a little more leverage to undo the bolt. Just place a hollow pipe over the end of the ratchet. That will allow for more leverage and open sesame. Be careful not to strip the bolt though! I like to use a boxed end wrench in these situations rather than a ratchet. Hope this helps.

X2 on the short socket if you don't have a wrench.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Thanks all, for all the positive input.

Much appreciated!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
whatever you do make sure you don't drain the transmission. yes it has happened numerous times. somebody on here made a thread with pics to help. look under Mods at the top and theres a DIY Oil Change thread with pics for help
if you think your plug is stripped or gonna get damaged to get it off maybe you should consider goin to the dealer and buying a new plug before you get started. remember once you get started your stranded til it has fresh oil
Old 02-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Cheater bar (hollow pipe) and watch your knuckles! I've busted a few open over the years when the ratched exploded.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
before you take the bolt off I recommend going to Autozone and picking up a new bolt and gasket.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Ok. The plug came off smoothly...just needed a new ratchet with power.

Now to take off the old filter. Whatever they used...it's on there pretty tight.
What do you guy's use?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
they have sockets that go over the filter

find those to be the best
Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm2627 View Post
Ok. The plug came off smoothly...just needed a new ratchet with power.

Now to take off the old filter. Whatever they used...it's on there pretty tight.
What do you guy's use?

I use one of these. Your 3/8 ratchet fits in the end and it grabs any size filter. Just google "oil filter claw".
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Pound a long screw driver straight through both sides and grab each end and twist. Works every time.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
I use the paw aka my right hand
Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
what ever you do, make sure you don't strip it!!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Channel lock makes a dandy pair of oil filter pliers:-)
Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
If your socket is crap, go buy a less crappy socket set.

The basic Craftsman socket set at Sears works just fine.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #18
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
No balls, Just grab the filter with 2 hands and take it off.

If you can't. Take off your belt, wrap it around and pry with that. If you still can't get it off, call your wife to do it for you.. BAM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
If your socket is crap, go buy a less crappy socket set.

The basic Craftsman socket set at Sears works just fine.
I've been very happy with my stanley kits seem like the same tools as craftsman (i have a mix ) and Craftsman is way expensive, and I saw a show that said the only thing craftsman still made was ratchets. Everything else is re-branding. Of course you get the warranty. But I like to lose my tools. They don't replace that.

I've found that craftsman and stanley come out with the same new tools at about the same time, all the time. Might be a slightly different process. But usually if you're breaking sockets, you're abusing them, unless they're really cheap. "chrome vanadium" brand stuff.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #20
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
In my toolbox I have a chunk of steel pipe about 16" long with cloth hockey stick tape on it. It fits over my ratchets when I have a real stubborn bolt for some extra leverage. It sounds like your biggest problem though is you need some decent tools. If you're going to do your own work do yourself a favor and buy some decent tools. Craftsman or Stanley, like mentioned are going to work. Stripping or breaking bolts or slipping off a bolt and busting up your hand just isn't worth it, decent tools aren't that expensive and you'll easily save the cost doing your own work. If you're using wrenches on a tight bolt you can hook two wrenches together for extra leverage, see pic:

Just be sure to keep the wrenches lined up or they will slip.

To get filters off there's special filter wrenches. I never need them on my own vehicles because I've never had an issue when the filter was put on properly. Same with the drain bolt. It just needs to not fall out, it doesn't need to be gorilla tight.