1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Care Plan

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gray Tacoma, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Feb 25, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    lol use a paint marker..or whatever, just make a something distinct on it that you can be sure they changed the filter :)

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 2:49 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I have the free maintenance plan too, so I let the dealer do the 5K mile services. The local Air Force base has a good auto hobby shop, but I just don't feel like messing with it myself any more.

3. Feb 26, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    gregp

gregp Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    My new '11 also came with the 2 year plan. My guess is that I will get exactly 3 oil changes out of it, so it really doesn't represent a lot of value for me. My wife and I drive about 8-9k miles a year (each). Possibly less as fuel prices rise and I start riding my motorcycles more.
    I would hope that the dealership could be trusted for such a simple service.
    I would have been much happier if Toyota gave me a free 30k and 60k service.
    My wife's '08 Civic only received the 1st oil change for free, but it goes over 5k miles before triggering the Maintenance Minder. Now that it is running out of its 3 year warranty, I will be doing that myself from here on out.
    I do like having the dealerships stamp the boook, though, just to reinforce my position if we do run into a warranty claim later.

4. Feb 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    They sell silver sharpie pens and gold too, it's like paint and shows up on anything.. you can get one at an arts/crafts store.

But personally I think that is being a bit paranoid.

If it was one of the McLube places that try to weasel you out of 50 bucks each time you come in for their $12 off oil change then yes - be scared. Be very scared.

5. Jun 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM
    minhtitran

minhtitran New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Minh
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Highlander
    We bought the Platinum Extra Care on a new Highlander purchase in 2006, everything signed in the big dealership. Since we haven't made any claims or repairs the agreement is supposed to refund us back the total amount of the plan which was $1950. It's 2012 now, our vehicle is reaching is 75K , we called Toyota and also paid them a visit after many frustrating phone calls, they are saying even though the agreement and everything has the Toyota name all over it, their VP of sales signatures and everything, and the end of the day the "company" selling the extra care is a 3rd party and since they have filed bankruptcy there is not much Toyota nor the dealership can do about it. This is a total shock to me, the salesman and financial guy was beating us to death to convince us to buy the Extra Care package at the time of purchase, they went over board trying to use the Toyota's brand/integrity and saying it would be so stupid not to buy since it's Toyota backed and we would get all our money back if we don't claim anything over the time of the contract. Now they are telling us that we forgot to read the fineprint that Toyota nor the dealership had nothing to do with the 3rd party. This is a bunch of bull since the dealership, the finance guy made a commision out of this and Toyota as a whoe heavily endorsed this Extra Care package. The contract itself says "Toyota Platinum Extra Care" with the Toyota logo, Vice president's signature and everything. Does this sound like a class action lawsuit in the making? We are still trying to talk sense with the dealership before maybe taking them to small claim court. Advices please. Thanks.

Forgot to make a quick warning to everyone: Never buy Extra Care again!!!, read fine print make sure it isn't 3rd party!!! Scam, scam, scam, shame on Toyota, Toyota dealership, Toyota Finance departments, Toyota salesman. How can you sell someone a plan call Toyota Extra Care with all of your name, logo, VP endorsements, right in the office on a new car, and have fine prints that it's not Toyota backed and not tell the customer? Toyota doesn't have its own an extended warranty or extra care program?? This is a way to scam people because it's hard to believe that Toyota is selling extended warranties in their dealerships on new cars that is not Toyota backed??????

6. Jun 6, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    11Speedway

11Speedway Well-Known Member

Member:
    Held Hostage in Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Stock 11 TRD OffRoad Access Cab
    I'm far too busy to change my own oil.

7. Jul 24, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I just took my truck in for the first 5K service and asked them to do everything but change the oil, and just give me the oil filter. I got some funny looks, but I told them I will be switching to synthetic and like to do it myself. They said they didn't blame me, and basically just rotated my tires and pumped them up to 40+ psi. So, I am glad that guy didn't do my oil change.

8. Jul 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I trust no one with my truck, not even for an oil change. I get piece of mind knowing it was done correctly with no corner cutting. I've heard some real horror stories about blown engines with no oil.

9. Jul 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    Looks like I'll get 5 freebies. I don't know why anyone wouldn't take advantage of this. My dealer has been good. So far.

10. Jul 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    I've been burned enough in my life but don't be so paranoid. Check your oil right after, filter and wheels.

11. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I'm not necessarily paranoid myself, but that's a little different than trust. I'll take the 5 freebie rotations and oil filters for sure and fix my tire pressures later, not much you can mess up there except wheel nut torque. But that is easy to fix. The dealer doesn't care -- they get paid for the oil change whether they do it or not.

I have to admit that this is in conflict with being a cheap bastard, though. As an example, I Googled and read enough stuff to eventually figure out that the $50 ice maker kit they sell at Lowe's is basically the same as the "replacement part" that costs $125. Some swapping of plastic parts and voila, ice from the door again. Not sure if the $75 savings was worth listening to my wife bitch while I figured it out, but I have learned to tune her out. But I digress.

I am just completely anal about all of my mechanical stuff. I like being the one that checks under the hood periodically so I know when things change. I like to spend the time to let all the old oil drain out before I refill. I like to see it, smell it, feel it. That's my oil analysis, I will know when things are odd. Which will probably be never, but I don't care. My savings on refrigerator repair paid for at least 2 synthetic oil changes.

To each his own.

12. Jul 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Apples and oranges.

Toyota Extra Care is scheduled maintenance and is included in the price for two years or 25 K miles.

What you are speaking of is an entirely different thing: Extended Warranty.

13. Jul 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    That's certainly news to me, which is a significant concern since I paid considerable extra for it. I'll be looking at the fine print on my agreement as soon as possible, followed by a trip to the dealer if it turns out to be a 3rd party product (since that dealer clearly & repeatedly said otherwise).

14. Jul 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    No, it's not apples and oranges. Both are promoted as Toyota care plans, with the Platinum Extra Care plan an extension (by Toyota) of the regular plan.

15. Jul 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I stand Corrected. I was thinking this " ToyotaCare " which covers the Scheduled Maintenance for the first 25K or 24 Months. This is included in the purchase of a new car or truck.

http://www.toyota.com/toyota-care/?srchid=google|Toyota_Maintenance|toyota_care

What you are talking about is the " Extended Warranty Plans " offered by Toyota Financial here:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_NewVehicleProtectionPlan

They are apples and oranges as one is scheduled maintenance and the other is for breakdowns on warranted items.

Both are backed and administered by Toyota Financial Services ( TFS ). I don't think or believe that they are going bankrupt. Maybe his dealer sold him some third party warranty plan. Some do offer them. I personally would not purchase an extended warranty. Maybe on a Ford, Chevy or Dodge, but not a Toyota based on my many years driving them.

16. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i too am not sure whether to go w/ the toyota care or DIY for my first oil change... plus the nearest dealership to me isn't the same dealership i purchased from... so do i trust them to do a good job (free), or bite the bullet and DIY (not free)?
    :notsure:

17. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    On my last truck (2012) I had the Toyoguard 2 year plan but never used it. I actually enjoy changing the oil myself. I also used Mobil-1 and Toyota filter.

The new truck (2012) has the Toyoguard Elite 3 year plan, not sure if I'll let them change oil or not. but will let them rotate tires etc. I get 2 oil changes and 2 tire rotate. plus some other stuff (personal assistant/road side assist/emerg. tow/rental car...bla bla bla) ext paint sealer...interior protection...and a real nice little kit with wash & wax and microfiber rags...$699.00, what a deal :rolleyes:

I wonder if the techs use a torque wrench on the oil pan drain plug/crush washer?

18. Jul 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    I bought a Toyota Certified 2009 Taco on memorial day. The original factory warranty is gone, but it still has the Certified warranty and the 7yr warranty/ Toyota Care plan thing that I paid for. I went to the dealership and they said that it doesn't cover maintenance. How are you guys getting free oil changes?

19. Jul 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Here is the info:
    http://www.toyota.com/toyota-care/?srchid=google|Toyota_Maintenance|toyota_care

This is probably what you have:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_NewVehicleProtectionPlan

They are not the same thing.

20. Jul 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    My paperwork says "Toyota Extra Care".