Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2TR-FE Reliability

Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
bromagen25 will become famous soon enoughbromagen25 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ryan
bromagen25's Tacoma Gallery
2TR-FE Reliability

i have searched around and cant really find any thing on this.

My Question.

Is the new 2.7 ( 2TR-FE ) as good as the old 2.7 ( 22r )

Just want to know what you guys think.

By the way mine is Stick and it has been great so far.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Not as good, but still very good.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
bromagen25 will become famous soon enoughbromagen25 will become famous soon enough
so what is the down side to the 2TR-FE?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromagen25 View Post
so what is the down side to the 2TR-FE?
More power.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Yep 2TR-FE has a bit more power but i think that the weight of the body style of the 2nd Gen offsets any gain. my big thing is will the new 2.7 ( 2TR-FE ) hold up as good and keep on trucken after 300,000 miles like a ton of the old 2.7 ( 22r )
Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep 2TR-FE has a bit more power but i think that the weight of the body style of the 2nd Gen offsets any gain. my big thing is will the new 2.7 ( 2TR-FE ) hold up as good and keep on trucken after 300,000 miles like a ton of the old 2.7 ( 22r )
I dont see why it wouldnt. Its dam near identicle, sans the VVT-i
Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
jeetS is on a distinguished road
jeetS's Tacoma Gallery
FYI the 22r was never 2.7L

Its a 2.4L
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetS View Post
FYI the 22r was never 2.7L

Its a 2.4L
My bad
Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
It's a Toyota 4-cyl people.

If you don't think it's reliable enough, please show me a better option you can currently buy new?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
It's a Toyota 4-cyl people.

If you don't think it's reliable enough, please show me a better option you can currently buy new?
THERE WE GO. i was gonna say everyone hates on the newer gen engines. but so far as i can tell, i know mines gonna last awhile and i have heard of 2ng gens well into the 100k mile range.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
The question is not is it reliable than other vehicles, but is it as reliable as the older engine.

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/truck-talk/128354.htm

I am sure there are more. Sure there are issues with the older engine as well, but yes it is reliable.

These guys talk good about it.
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83143

I say give it a shot.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta_taco View Post
My 06 9th gen corolla 1zz-fe 1.8L had more issues than any other vehicle ive had (rear main @ 15K km - new trans (failed bell housing)@50k KM - white smoke @ 75K km and i traded for a impreza. My 86 camry 3sfe 2.0L ran to 360k km then i snapped the timing belt it was non interference so just threw a new belt in and kept on trucking -->

Sold it to a buddy who drove it for five more years then sold it again, i still see it around.

I personally think the engines built in Japland are higher tolerance and higher restrictions on what gets passed.

But i have high hopes for the Tacoma.

Interesting you should mention. My daily driver is a 1zz-fe 1.8L Matrix, currently with 177k (as in 177,000 miles...we use real units down here...I guess you 'nucks would call it 285,000km) on the clock and NO issues. NONE. Just regular maintenance. And I flogged the fuck out of that car before I got the truck. It's seen a lot of duty out of its class.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Quote:
My 86 camry 3sfe 2.0L ran to 360k km then i snapped the timing belt it was non interference so just threw a new belt in and kept on trucking -->
thanks for the reply's and i like the new engine a lot it was just something i was wondering about all day to day as of now i have almost 15k on my 2.7 manual 4x4.

Question?

Is the 2.7 in the tacoma have a non interference belt thing?
If so what dose that mean?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Is the 2.7 in the tacoma have a non interference belt thing?
If so what dose that mean?
current Tacoma engines have a timing chain, not belt.

Non-interference means that the valves and cylinder have enough clearance from one another in the cylinder chamber that they will not impact one another and damage one another in the event that the engine's timing is incorrect.

IIRC both current Tacoma engines are interference engines...I know the 1GR six cylinder is. That's just the one of the many prices of squeezing more power and fuel economy out of the same displacement.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Interesting you should mention. My daily driver is a 1zz-fe 1.8L Matrix, currently with 177k (as in 177,000 miles...we use real units) on the clock and NO issues. NONE. Just regular maintenance. And I flogged the fuck out of that car before I got the truck. It's seen a lot of duty out of its class.

pwned.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
It's probably going to outlast the other parts of the truck. You know what worries me down the line? That complicated motor/servovalve thingy for the brakes that controls ABS, VSC, TRAC...
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Meh they will start failing and people will start suing as the randomly crash into things.
Neg. There is no fault on the mfr when safety-related components fail due to end of life. When a brake control component goes out of tolerance, the ABS and other warning lights come on. If you ignore the light, keep driving, then crash and sue, Toyota can claim contributory negligence on your end.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just to clarify what i posted was not to bash i did in fact love that car. Did a full suspension and tracked on the weekends. And the motor was not stock after the rear mains where done.
Damn, didn't know people raced Corollas, of all things...
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Damn, didn't know people raced Corollas, of all things...
Ricing grows 5 fold every time another Fast and Furious movie comes out.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #20

Quote:
lol then i gave up the fwd all together, just a bike and a taco...

Figured it out eh?