1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid yet funny (I think) ? about 4x4 system

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SmoothFox, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Yea... I was being facetious. I know the truck is build of plastic and tin foil.

But it still won't hurt it.

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Well without my visor card or manual present (at service) I can't be for sure.. but pretty sure it says not to make "sharp turns" on pavement.

IT dOES say to lock in the wheels for 10 miles a month with no mention as to surface. Its unreasonable to believe that most people have 10 miles of loose dirt or grass to which they have free access.

3. Feb 26, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock

than why get 4wd if you dont use it? if there is no dirt/grass what the hell do you need 4wd for?

4. Feb 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Snow :D

5. Feb 26, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Not to beat a dead horse to death but....what the hell.
    I've got my manual here in front of me. It mentions that h2 is for driving on hard surfaced roads. It goes on to say h4 provides greater traction like when you experience loss of power such as wheel spinning and engagement of L4 is for climbing/descending steep hills,offroad driving, and hard pulling in sand, mud or deep snow.
    I take that to mean to use h2 for hard surfaced roads and 4h in low traction circumstances.
    Under A.D.D (automatic disconnecting differential) it states:
    You should drive in four-wheel drive for ar least 16km (10 miles) each month. This will assure that the front drive components are lubricated. I think due to what the manual says for 4h use it's only common sence to not drive those 10 miles on dry pavement.
    That's how I read it anyway...other's opinions may vary.
    Maybe I'm spoiled and have never thought about useing 4wd on dry pavement since I have literally hundreds of miles of dirt roads going through a desert environment just 5 minutes out my front door.

6. Feb 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    EDIT: and i just realized you're from saratoga NY.. yea.. you, unless you have private land, don't have that area either. Driving down posted logging roads is not "public access". You do, probably right now, have snow in your driveway though. Nothing like barreling over the snowbank rather than parking on the street and shoveling it out.

DUde? A 4x4 is not designed for you to go romper-stomping through the wilderness. Adults can have them and drive them too. You're confusing a pickup truck and a rhino or quad or dirtbike.

Its added utillity, snow, boat ramps, muddy shoulders and occasional farm type use. Getting just that 20 feet closer than you could in 2wd. pulling a trailer out of the mud. A million adult uses. You don't have to be a kid to have a 4x4.

I have actually had genuine honest use for 4x4 even living on this metropoline island (keeping in mind that driving down trails for "fun" is not a "use") Not a whole lot of occasions, but it's barely any more cost or impact on cost per mile. Almost stupid not to get it for a DIYer near survivalist like myself.

If I want to go off road, I have a couple off road vehicles. I can tow them to off road areas with the truck. I took it off road. It sucked... never again. Fire roads or smoother only.

7. Feb 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I would say yea... probably the case. A lot of american space has what you're speaking of, very little of it has public access and even less of it is around the majority of the US population. Much less convenient for a jog down, or in good enough condition to warrant shaking your truck apart for the good of the 4wd solenoids.

There's definitely no easy answer. I am sure that given conditions I set, I could do a small radius turn in one way and explode the front end and then change conditions slightly (keeping them generally the same) and get away with it.
    I can offer that I've never broken a 4x4, and I futz around with my 4x4 switch far more than I ever should need to. Heck, I've even had my (previous) truck in 4x4 while living in texas. Obviously it was on dry hard ground, survived fine.

point being, you can engage your 4x4 for a 45-55mph drive down a fairly straight secondary road with no issue. I also feel that driving 10 miles at 10mph is not likely the intent of the manual.

You just have to know what you're doing, like any tool. I don't break sockets either.

8. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    there are alot of uses but i still think it is not hard to use it at least once a month

Products Discussed in

To Top