Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Bumper Replacement Due to Rust?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Rhody76 will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
Rhody76's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Bumper Replacement Due to Rust?

I read something on here about someone having their rear bumper replaced at the dealer due to rusting. I have noticed this happening on my 2011 also. Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this and if the dealers are willingly replacing them for this reason?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
paint it.....
Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
No. No TSB out yet on it. But, my new chrome bumper is sitting at the dealership ready to install. Mine has developed rust on my 2011. It is scheduled to be installed on Tuesday. I might tell them I want to wait for a while so it just does not rust again before the weather gets better.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Rhody76's Tacoma Gallery
Some guys seem to like the look of a pained bumper. Anyone have a pic?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Rhody76's Tacoma Gallery
Blacksheep- good point on the weather... I think I will wait until April at least
Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody76 View Post
Some guys seem to like the look of a pained bumper. Anyone have a pic?
Changed my chrome bumper out for base black and had it color matched this week. Hope to put the plastic parts back this weekend.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy View Post
if they replace it, ask if you can have a painted one placed and just pay the price difference.

I tried this. the painted is actually cheaper than the chrome. I was told that the warranty will only cover the stock part on the truck. They will not exchange the painted for the chrome. I said that if it rusts, then I will be back every 3 months for the first 3 years. He said no problem, it will be covered.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDTACO View Post
Changed my chrome bumper out for base black and had it color matched this week. Hope to put the plastic parts back this weekend.

i am doing the same thing next week, my body shop said it would be easier to paint the base than it would a new primered sport bumper. im not sure why though. im paying 150, how much did that run you?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I tried this. the painted is actually cheaper than the chrome. I was told that the warranty will only cover the stock part on the truck. They will not exchange the painted for the chrome. I said that if it rusts, then I will be back every 3 months for the first 3 years. He said no problem, it will be covered.

x2 this is what my dealer said too. I had a 2010 for one year and went through 2 "chrome" bumpers
Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
x2 this is what my dealer said too. I had a 2010 for one year and went through 2 "chrome" bumpers
Bad ass rigs you had, what happened to the 2000? Manuals are impossible to find.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
TomaGirl has a spectacular aura aboutTomaGirl has a spectacular aura aboutTomaGirl has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ticia
TomaGirl's Tacoma Gallery
This is happening to my bumper as well. Although my Taco is a 2008, but regardless I still hate it. Good idea to paint it though.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
i am doing the same thing next week, my body shop said it would be easier to paint the base than it would a new primered sport bumper. im not sure why though. im paying 150, how much did that run you?
I paid about $175 for the bumper and the same to have it painted(at dealer). I put the plastic hardware on yesterday and I am very happy with results.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
Bad ass rigs you had, what happened to the 2000? Manuals are impossible to find.

Sold due to a ton of rust underneath. I bought it from a family friend at 18 and didn't know much about toyota trucks. They did not have it undercoated once from 2000-2008 so it was really bad. I should have kept it and just put money into frame restoration. Worst part is it was leather with sunroof and had 100,000 kms on it when i sold it Looking back the build quality was alot better than my 2nd gen tacoma and everything just felt better and tighter. I regret selling it, thats why i sold the taco though; to get back into a 4runner!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Rover is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Rover
Rover's Tacoma Gallery
Another option: Rhino line the entire bumper inside and out. Color Key bumper only NOT Chrome 'cause the Chrome can't be sanded down for the Rhino lining to stick. I did this with my front skid plate and rear bumper. No rust.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDTACO View Post
I paid about $175 for the bumper and the same to have it painted(at dealer). I put the plastic hardware on yesterday and I am very happy with results.
yeah, i just pulled the plastic pieces off my bumper. It's more of a pain in the ass than it should be.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
Sold due to a ton of rust underneath. I bought it from a family friend at 18 and didn't know much about toyota trucks. They did not have it undercoated once from 2000-2008 so it was really bad. I should have kept it and just put money into frame restoration. Worst part is it was leather with sunroof and had 100,000 kms on it when i sold it Looking back the build quality was alot better than my 2nd gen tacoma and everything just felt better and tighter. I regret selling it, thats why i sold the taco though; to get back into a 4runner!
yeah, the 3rd 4runners are always rated as one of the most reliable vehicles ever. 10 years later, they are still completely soild and run well. After 2001 they stopped building them in Japan, and the quality went downhill.