1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Chain Novice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Graham, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    Graham

Graham [OP] Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    I want to get a some tire chains but have no clue about them. My truck is a stock lift 2005 off road TRD with 265/75/16. A couple of questions:

The manual says only put chains on the rear and never on the front due to potential damage. What I read online says that chains on a 4 wheels is best. Rear only or Front and Rear? Advice? If I put them on the front will this cause damage or be unsafe?

What are the best type of chains for a Tacoma?

Any and all advice welcome!

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    You have to look at what kind of driving you will be doing with them. If it's mostly 2wd driving, then just get them for the back (drive) wheels. If it's 4wd driving, then again, get them for the back, but also consider getting them for the front (steer) wheels.

You do need to be cautious though, as having them on the front can cause potential damage if you turn the wheel too hard. Basically think of it as if the front tires are rubbing on the inside, then when you add tire chains, think of that rubbing as now SHREDDING. That's what you want to avoid.

3. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    Graham

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    It would be for when I am off roading mostly though I can envision on the road when we get some deep lake effect snows. Last night in deep snow up in the hills around here I got into some rises that I couldn't get up and over so I had to back track. I went down to 4 lo and locked my rear but still only made it half way up. I had to back track around the rises. I thought if I had chains on it would get me into and out of where I'm at.

What I hear you saying is that if I have them on the front I should not be doing alot of turns and certainly not hard, deep turns.

4. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Don't think there's enough clearance between uca and tire for chains. Stick your hand back there and check. I don't have but about 1/4"

5. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    On the roadway where you may be required depending on state, a decent cable chain with an angled pattern is quite nice , the chains with a diamond pattern for traction are good too, more durable too but cost more.

Off-road you might consider a full size chain set for the rear , maybe with the v-bar, very strong and durable. If the manual says not to up front then i wouldn't. My view is you'd need to be in deep enough snow to warrent it.

Your view on this opinion might vary, but i find the ladder type chains, where the link or cable go straight across, lack lateral stability in some situations, mostly going slow on a side slope or banked roadway. I see this one every winter: your'e in a 30-45 speed zone and on a corner that has a normal amount of angle , but you are going 15mph or less in chains, suddenly you slide sideways down towards the ditch or even in it.
    That doesnt make ladder style chains bad , they can be bought for less. If you seldom or rarely need to chain ,they might be the best ones for you.
    Also buy a pair of pliers and bailing wire. If you didnt chain up , the chains might still get you out of a simple ditch by getting the chains on as best as you can,then,folding the wire as many times as you cant and still pass it through links, if you cant fully get the chain on. WITH LIGHT THROTTLE , do not spin fast, try to roll out. It has worked 3x on 2wd vans like fedex drives where i work , but fully consider that the chain isnt on completely yet and will need to be adjusted once out.

6. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    this...

you could get chains for the rear and "s" clearance cables may work on the front... no guarantee. cables are no good for offroading, too weak if the get snagged or you spin...

for good offroading chains go to tirechains.com and check out the heavy duty twisted link chains (make sure they go straight across. those on the back with 200-300lbs of weight in the back and youll be good to go. For added traction you could get the V-Bar chains but they are not good for pavement

7. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    everywhere ive read they say the diamond pattern chains are not good for offroading. the straight ladder style are the strongest and best for offroading.
    just what ive read, ive never used the diamond style

8. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
  9. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    yup, thats what I said.Diamonds n cable on-road , v-bar (ladder) off road for durablity.
    The part about ladder chains at the end refers to on road, with our plow trucks and barricade trucks durning snow and ice here.

10. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    I emailed tirechains.com a month or so ago regarding chains for off-road use and what they recommended to me were the 5.5mm and 7.0mm square link chains.

11. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    gotcha, i meant it to reiterate that diamond style and cables are a non no offroad

12. Feb 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
  13. Feb 26, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    Graham

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful advice! It's snowing again here!:woot:

Products Discussed in

To Top