Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Painting Front Skid Plate? Any1?

Old 02-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
Painting Front Skid Plate? Any1?

When i bought my 08 Taco the guy had put a silver front skid on it. Next couple warm days i get a chance i'm going to sand it and paint it black. What would some good paint to use for it? Was thinking a flat RustOleum paint... Maybe primer then paint it?

Also thought about taping off the TRD Logo and putting it on the front part where you can see it driving down the logo. Anyone have or done anything like this? Thanks!.!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
I powder coated mine when I first got the truck, didn't spend much but still a waste of time and money, considering I was planning on wheelin' my truck in the first place. If you ever plan on offroading at all any time soon it'll be worth your while to upgrade your skid plate to a "real" one. Just my $0.02

Other than that, painting it black does make it look much better than the silver. Lightly sand it, use some primer then spray it with rustoleum or krylon and you should be good to go. IMO, I'd leave the TRD logo off of it.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
No really using it for wheeling, it will going offroad some but not for anything hardcore.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The first time I primed and spray painted the skid plate. It had some chipping problems so I scrapped off the paint and sprayed it again with 3M Undercoating. After doing it both ways I would recommend the undercoating spray. Mine is now pretty scratched up but IMO it’s just character after all it’s a skid plate.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
TUVAI is on a distinguished road

TUVAI's Tacoma Gallery
i painted the ones under that one with rustolem hammered black came out really good sorry no pics
Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Toyo_Jet is on a distinguished road

Name: Shane
Toyo_Jet's Tacoma Gallery
I used duplicolor spray bedliner stuff.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzdrag3 View Post
Yesirrr. So u just put a sticker on it. I like it!
Mine is not a sticker. I copied and pasted the TRD logo into excel and then stretched it to a size I thought looked good (it can take several times printing). Once I got a size I liked I cut it out and outlined the TRD logo onto the skid plate with painters tape. Make sure you mask off the rest of the skid plate to avoid overspray.
I have also seen the Toyota truck logo put on the skid and thought it looked really good.
Let me know if you have any questions.

You could copy and paste this logo

Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
grdnrxr is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
grdnrxr's Tacoma Gallery
I just painted mine with a raddle can. When it gets chipped up, just take out the can again and touch it up
Old 02-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
I'm crackin eggs of wisdom
Shiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Curt (krt)
Shiftin2Sixth's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...kid-plate.html
Old 02-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
gassman is on a distinguished road

gassman's Tacoma Gallery
rhino line it