1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sand Driving Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GeoTaco1, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    GeoTaco1

GeoTaco1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    Well I finally took a test drive on sand today with my Toyo ATs'. They were great! I only aired down to 20 LB, stayed 4H and I was able to drive up hill, downhill, soft sand, no problem.

Only once, from a stopped position, it felt like it wanted to dig in, but it came out real fast. I did not have to switch it out the standard 4H ever.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am wondering, should I keep it in Drive, while in 4H, or bring it down to gear 3? or 2? I usually drive under 30 MPH on sand.

The low air indicator comes on at 20 PSI. Does that cause any of the traction systems not to work properly, like LSD? If the answer is yes, what is the tire pressure limit that kicks the sensor?

thanks

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Sand is a fickle animal as are automatic. Switching gears most likely won't change how it reacts. Just let the truck drive how it wants.

Products Discussed in

To Top