Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Changed oil: Startup=loud top end "ratchet"

Old 02-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Changed oil: Startup=loud top end "ratchet"

I just changed my oil for the 2nd time today. When I started it up to circulate the oil, there was an awful "ratcheting" sound that came from the top end. It only lasted for a split second. I assume that this was caused by the oil being pumped to the hydraulic lifters, but it didn't happen the first time I changed the oil. Also, the engine typically revs to 2000 rpms when you first start it, and this time was no different.

Could this have caused any damage? Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Thats the sound it makes if you drain all the oil and its not lubed. Noise stops when the oil gets pumped through the system. I would not sweat it as far as damage.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
That is normal. I work at an auto shop and some vehicles are worse for this than others. But nothing to worry about. There were a couple of times that I actually shut the engine down quickly and double checked that I had added oil cause the noise was so bad. Of course everything was ok, but still scared me.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
There are no Hydrolic lifters on teh Tacoma engines.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
There are no Hydrolic lifters on teh Tacoma engines.

I laugh everytime I read your posts. At least you are consistent.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post

I laugh everytime I read your posts. At least you are consistent.
No time for speel check
Old 02-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sorry, shouldve said lash adjusters. My main question was whether or not the lack of oil pressure would cause any damage? Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
BartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of light
BartStar's Tacoma Gallery
The oil filter isn't mounted upside down, but on other trucks like the Chevy the oil filters are mounted upside down so you can fill up the new oil filter with the new oil before installing it and when you start it up you don't have to wait for the oil pump to fill up the oil filter cause its already filled and WAAA-LA instant oil pressure!

It takes time for the oil pump to fill up and circulate thru the oil filter!

I TOLD you guys about using the PROPER oil filter, but NOOOOOOO don't listen to me!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #9

I'll have to keep that in mind, filling the filter before attaching it. BTW, I only use the Toyota oil filters on this truck, which brand SHOULD be used?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
In all the dissections, Toyota filters were shown to have the largest surface area. It may in fact be better than the TRD filter (the one with a welded nut on top).