Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you hose down the Engine

Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
GeoTaco1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Geo
GeoTaco1's Tacoma Gallery
Do you hose down the Engine

from the hood side after driving in sand? Is it safe? Should the engine be running or off?
------------------------------------------------
I noticed some electrical connectors are not completely sealed and the pins are exposed if you look from the back of the connector. I am afraid if water splashes the connector, adjacent pins will short out.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I wash my engine while its off and with hose pressure, I wouldn't use a pressure washer.

I thought all of the connectors were suposed to be sealed, especially in the engine bay.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I use simple green and let it sit for about 10 minutes then I hose it off. This is on a cold engine of course. A pressure washer is fine as long as you don't get too close.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
MURDERED_TACO
nick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud of

nick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco1 View Post
from the hood side after driving in sand? Is it safe? Should the engine be running or off?
------------------------------------------------
I noticed some electrical connectors are not completely sealed and the pins are exposed if you look from the back of the connector. I am afraid if water splashes the connector, adjacent pins will short out.
off is fine and it wont hurt anything, jus dont get close to wires,sensors and relays, etc.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Engine should be off, and don't use the full power of the pressure washer. I back off a few feet when i wash mine. if you have and exposed Air cleaner, aftermarket, cover it with a bag before you start. Drive it on the highway after that, and it will make all the water evaporate quickly.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
MURDERED_TACO
nick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud ofnick has much to be proud of

nick's Tacoma Gallery
rcbs204 how did you get my moms pic as you avitar?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

I have hosed off (and pressure washed) my various engines for years with no problems.

FWIW, I do it every time I wash the vehicle and my engines have always been spotless. ...

Oh, forgot, had to dry out the distributor cap on a 1965 GTO once ... that was my only problem ever.

Just use some common sense "where" and "how fast" you shoot that water in the engine bay.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Not bothered....
crazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: and Army - 12 yrs total
Name: Chris
crazyman's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Simple Green , let it set for 10 min or so, then run the hose over.
Ill. Use a rag to scrub mud off.
I do cover the exposed electrical connections, especially the area on the firewall on the driver side.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

I have hosed off (and pressure washed) my various engines for years with no problems.

FWIW, I do it every time I wash the vehicle and my engines have always been spotless. ...

Just use some common sense "where" and "how fast" you shoot that water in the engine bay.
X2
Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #10
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I wash down the whole engine and bay every time I hit the car wash.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I spray mine w/ a degreaser, let it dwell for a few minutes, then hit it w/ a soft bristled brush before rinsing w/ water. Turn the truck on for a few minutes to help dry things out, then spray w/ CD2 engine detailer.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 AM   #12
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
rcbs204 how did you get my moms pic as you avitar?
We all have you mom's picture ..... .
Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #13
GeoTaco1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Geo
GeoTaco1's Tacoma Gallery
Driver side Firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
I use the Simple Green , let it set for 10 min or so, then run the hose over.
Ill. Use a rag to scrub mud off.
I do cover the exposed electrical connections, especially the area on the firewall on the driver side.
Thats the area I see exposed pins inside the connectors. Maybe I will use some type of electrical tape that cantake the heat? or do they have something better?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't believe Toyota is not using better pin insulating connectors?!?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
MURDERED_TACO

nick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
We all have you mom's picture ..... .

...........?...
Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #15
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
I wash my engine while its off and with hose pressure, I wouldn't use a pressure washer.

I thought all of the connectors were suposed to be sealed, especially in the engine bay.
S.B. If you want to keep her long time no hose under hood!!! Not all connectors are sealed. My 99 taco 4x4 had connector brake downs at 9y o. Dealer serv. mag. told me no hose and no deep water he told me if you must clean it PAY FOR STEAM no hose..... Jim
Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #16
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
S.B. If you want to keep her long time no hose under hood!!! Not all connectors are sealed. My 99 taco 4x4 had connector brake downs at 9y o. Dealer serv. mag. told me no hose and no deep water he told me if you must clean it PAY FOR STEAM no hose..... Jim
Well, dam. I thought the connectors should be sealed. You know what they say about assuming. But I do like mud pits.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
Yep, I spray mine w/ a degreaser, let it dwell for a few minutes, then hit it w/ a soft bristled brush before rinsing w/ water. Turn the truck on for a few minutes to help dry things out, then spray w/ CD2 engine detailer.
Steam only she will thank you for it in the long run!!!! I found out the hard way. River Rat
Old 03-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #18
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
I use a pressure washer but never stick the nozzle down into the engine compartment. With a nice fan you don't run too much risk of pushing water into stuff or blowing out gaskets and its not a lot of water volume. Cleans all the dust off but doesn't power off paint etc.