Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Some guy's Kayak rack for your approval

Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Some guy's Kayak rack for your approval

Saw this when looking up "potato gun".

Thought someone might find it funny or useful.
http://www.sckayakfishing.com/phpBB3...hp?f=43&t=1033
Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
gregp is on a distinguished road
gregp's Tacoma Gallery
I like it! Cheap and effective. The 2nd project, at the bottom of the page, is interesting as well!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe for smaller ones or for surfboards but my kayaks are 12' and weigh 60 lbs each.........Thule Xsporter 422XT for me
Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure

I'm not sure he accomplished much. There are plenty options on the market for not much more than he spent. I like the very versatile "Extend-A-Hitch" that provides a variable height (bed or roofline) height hitch mounted rack. Great for canoes, kayaks, ladders, lumber, you name it. Cabela's sells them for less than $100, you can find them on sale, and on the internet even cheaper. Stores even flatter than this guys.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
wow I would have spray painted that thing to make it look at little less obvious especially going thru all the effort

My thule rack or the oem rack seems much easier.
Its carried 2 & 3 kayaks just fine over the last4 yrs w/o issue.
I have one of the those extend a hitches too..bought as a hot deal once on Harbor Freight cheap. & its powder coated.
Appreciate the thread & the originators ingenuity.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere View Post
I'm not sure he accomplished much. There are plenty options on the market for not much more than he spent. I like the very versatile "Extend-A-Hitch" that provides a variable height (bed or roofline) height hitch mounted rack. Great for canoes, kayaks, ladders, lumber, you name it. Cabela's sells them for less than $100, you can find them on sale, and on the internet even cheaper. Stores even flatter than this guys.
Good for singles but not double wide and nothing to hold the front end on cab and even with bar on cab, the body and bed will flex in different directions twisting on secured loads fastened to 2 different points like that or have to leave tailgate down with front in the bed which means lots still stick out the back on a 12' boat and mine are overhead where you can walk under them instead of kicking them walking around the truck......still xt422 for me, worth the extra coin for larger longer stuff. OP's just fine for short distance maybe but long frwy drives, I want secure stuff and my tailgate up to keep the rest in..........
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
wow I would have spray painted that thing to make it look at little less obvious especially going thru all the effort

My thule rack or the oem rack seems much easier.
Its carried 2 & 3 kayaks just fine over the last4 yrs w/o issue.
I have one of the those extend a hitches too..bought as a hot deal once on Harbor Freight cheap. & its powder coated.
Appreciate the thread & the originators ingenuity.
YEa.. some people get carried away, or use what they happen to know about or have on hand.

Always sucks when you get done with something and a guy walks up and says.. Why'd you do that, you could have just used product X for half the cost and twice the capability. But its something.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Me l've got brains.

you mean quarter round?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I never had any issues with the police when I have 7' of kayak sticking out of my bed with my buddies 13' on our trips. My kayak is only 10' so I have no issues just throwing it in the bed with a strap.

Shouldn't you be in bed ?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #12
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
I just throw mine in the back with racket straps. Never had an issue... carried up to three before.

I actually went kayaking this morning when it was warm, can't wait to go out on a regular basis again!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I used to be 5 min from nice paddle area or 30 min to ocean but kinda landlocked now with not too many options other than small lakes (big ponds) and that's just boring to me so I have to haul them a ways to get to anything interesting. I used to just do the truck bed with straps but the xt422 is great for frwy trips and frees the bed for other stuff.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #14
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I just throw mine in the back with racket straps. Never had an issue... carried up to three before.

I actually went kayaking this morning when it was warm, can't wait to go out on a regular basis again!
Awesome!
Our rivers, ponds & lakes are frozen up still & ones flowing are a tad on the chilly side. Winter's still here w/ a vengence!
I think my kayaking season is a ways away
Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
KevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevMc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
KevMc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
Saw this when looking up "potato gun".

Thought someone might find it funny or useful.
http://www.sckayakfishing.com/phpBB3...hp?f=43&t=1033
I know this thread is old, but I clicked that link, looked at the pics of his truck and rack, thought the houses looked familiar then recognized my neighbors F150 in the background. Guy literally lives right up the road from me in the same neighborhood. Small world.