1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hit by flying rock on freeway. Hits roof.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by w8n4mud, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sep 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud [OP] I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    $hit! OMG! Way to end the drive home from Vacation. So my family and I are on the freeway traveling home from Fresno (an hour east of there actually) when a large rock around 2 to 3 inches in diameter was launched into the air by the car in front of me. My wife and I see the stone fly up in the air like no other stone I've seen before. No more than a nanosecond later do we realize that my truck is going to be the victim of a true "hit & run." Too no surprise do we hear BOOM! (I wish it was a DINK!) above the windshield. Well, I wasn't about to pull over on the freeway just to see the damage, but you can bet I was sure thinking about it the whole way home. So about an hour away from home just north of Escondido in San Diego County, I pulled over to check my load in the rear, the bike on top and of course the expected large dent on the roof. Before even seeing it, I told my wife I was getting it popped out and she said no if it was not larger than a silver dollar. Well to my surprise when I stepped out and stood on my tube step I couldn't find a dent at all. I was stoked! But then again I was looking at it in direct sunlight. I wasn't until I came home and unloaded the truck that the rock made a dent smaller than a dime. Damn was I happy. Never would anyone ever hear me say that. Which is why I thought is was worthy of sharing some incredible news. Happy traveling!

2. Sep 10, 2008 at 7:19 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
  3. Sep 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud [OP] I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    Your wish is my command. I didn't think it was worth it. I already put touch-up paint on the nicks.

IMG_3026.jpg

4. Sep 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    that aint too bad. could have been alot worse, but im happy it wasnt. ever been behind a dump truck without a cover on the bed....now that sucks!!!!:eek:

5. Sep 10, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    tough taco

6. Sep 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hard shell taco!!!!!:D

7. Sep 10, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud [OP] I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    I wish I could return the favor to those dump trucks. The best I can do is windshield fluid. LOL. To some extent I wish it would have hit the windshield because I already have a sealed crack on it. Then again, that's knowing that the rock would not have gone through the windshield. Oh well $hit happens.

8. Sep 10, 2008 at 7:59 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great wax wasn't it?

9. Sep 11, 2008 at 4:58 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Whew, glad it was not too bad for ya. Reading the story, I was waiting to hear someone dropped a cider block off a bridge on you :eek: You know its gonna leave a mark when you can SEE the rock coming. Glad you and your family are ok!

10. Sep 11, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud [OP] I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate the concern xedge. All I can say is that it sounded real bad. I was totally expecting a dent as if someone had punched the roof in. I was really amazed at the result. My in-laws actually had someone drop a rock on their windshield from a bridge while they were on the freeway. No one was hurt. They pulled over and called the police.

11. Sep 11, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    Taos1

Taos1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Access Roll Up Tonneau cover, Stainless Steel Sidestep bars, Pop&Lock, Grillcraft black Mesh Grill
    Glad to hear you guys are ok. Nothing is more scary than flying debris, especially when it's coming right at you.
    I saw a sheet of ice fly off the roof of a semi on the highway. I was about 5 car lengths behind him doing about 65 during the morning commute. I had no place to go but stay in my lane and take the hit. It seemed like it flew off in slow motion and my eyes got so wide and I remember saying "Oh Shit". Luckily the sheet was thin but it was as big as my windshield. It hit flush and shattered. When I got to work I looked around and saw no damage. I was lucky that day. Since then I stayed away from semi's.

12. Sep 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM
    MikeS.

MikeS. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4 in Speedway Blue.
    Undercover bed topper, Nerf style step bars, Python alarm, Ham radio with 250 watt amp and chrome wheel well bling.
    I got hit by a blown tire tread off of a semi once. Scared the crap out of me. A big BOOM followed by flying tire tread right at me. Hit the cab top of my truck., got a nice dent. His insurance paid to get it fixed.

13. Sep 12, 2008 at 12:21 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    this reminded me of a story from my girlfriend's dad from last summer. he was driving his '06 Tacoma a few miles out of town and just as a dump truck is coming closer in the oncoming lane he sees a 4 1/2" rock come off, hit the pavement and bounce back up just high enough to go right into the grille of his truck. it it caused a whole shitload of damage: smashed radiator, smashed condencer, smashed the grille, cracked the headlight housing mounts and then bent the radiator core support back. ouch! too bad i dont have a pic of it..... he continued to drive home and then got out to look and the rock was still wedged in there.

14. Sep 12, 2008 at 6:43 AM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    haha Thats the truth!
    Now I want taco bell.

You gotta worry about rocks on the freeway more than people it seems like lol

15. Sep 14, 2008 at 2:24 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud [OP] I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    At least rocks dont have to worry about Gas, Insurance, and crying kids in the car. Damn, I wish I could be rock. Speaking of Taco Bell...an apple empenada sounds really good right about now. Hmmm. Well, life goes on. Any other interesting stories about rocks or hell ICE for that matter.

16. Sep 14, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4 x 4
    Bed mat, seat cover.
    Memories. When driving home from Florida in our new Saturn wagon, a large pebble hit our windsheild leaving a crack which in coming weeks grew into a spider like creation...needless to say we had to have a new windshield installed.
    Another time IN Florida, a truck infront of us, with the gate down, was dropping debris onto the highway. Well, I changed lanes and pass the sob. Later, I noticed a small ding on the hood.
    The Saturn never went back to Florida.

Now, I rent.

Products Discussed in

To Top