Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2009 TRD Offroad vs. TRD Sport

Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Caddmannq's Tacoma Gallery
2009 TRD Offroad vs. TRD Sport

So what's the real difference besides decals and tires?

Gear ratios? Suspension? Anything?

Both come in 4x4, right?

Mine is the Sport, BTW.

(I peeled off the decals. IMHO, Decals are for model cars. Real cars deserve paint.)
Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
both can come in 4x4....sport has color matched grille and rear bumper, the offroad has a locker...different wheel/tire combo, and i'm not sure if its just the sport comes w/ the 6 disc, steering wheel controls, and the backup camera as standard...i dont think the offroad has those
Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mk...well i was wrong on that part...so the differences are cosmetic, except for the offroad also has beefier coils and a smaller sway bar, where the sport is the opposite...the locker...and thats about it
Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Hood-scoop.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Tom-s is on a distinguished road

Tom-s's Tacoma Gallery
Okay so I have the locker, 6 cd changer, color matching grill, under body rock guard and everything else the off road has. Though it says TRD sport...What gives?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

If the switch says "Auto LSD" it's not a true locker. The real locker may have been optional though.

I always thought the Off Road would have lower gears.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
off-trd has more stuff to go off rd
they both got has the same camerca, but I think the sport is retarded, since it has sport suspension. Why do i want a sport suspension on a truck??? i'm not going to race it.

Off-rd edition has the blistein off rd suspension which is bitchin!!

I like the trd decal, when you sell it they know it has a trd package. (if they are smart)

Plus off-rd has the atrac plus rear locker which makes it bad ass
Old 09-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-s View Post
Okay so I have the locker, 6 cd changer, color matching grill, under body rock guard and everything else the off road has. Though it says TRD sport...What gives?
if you have the sport you shouldn't have the locker. as far as i know it is unavailable on sport models
Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #11
MotoNerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
... I think the sport is retarded, since it has sport suspension. Why do i want a sport suspension on a truck??? i'm not going to race it...
Not everyone that buys a truck buys it to go off road. I didn't. Mine will mostly take me to work and back on nicely paved roads, haul stuff from Costco and Home Depot to my house, run down the freeway at 80 MPH, and tow my boat to the lake and back.

There's not an inch of even a dirt road (let alone off road country) in all of that.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #12
MotoNerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
Yeah, I read all that, but the specs are hardly complete.

Like, what are the transmission ratios? Are they the same between off-road and sport? It doesn't seem like they should be.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #13
Banned
poleman72 is an unknown quantity at this point
poleman72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddmannq View Post
Not everyone that buys a truck buys it to go off road. I didn't. Mine will mostly take me to work and back on nicely paved roads, haul stuff from Costco and Home Depot to my house, run down the freeway at 80 MPH, and tow my boat to the lake and back.

There's not an inch of even a dirt road (let alone off road country) in all of that.
I agree. I'm buying a 2009 Taco with TRD sport pkg. I don't plan to go offroad. So I don't need off-road pkg. I plan to buy better tires than the stock tires and unlike you I plan to go 100 mph hwy when i get the supercharger and get from 0 to 60 is less amount of time...not all the time though...lolz. And tow an ATV or two in the future for leisure.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
off-trd has more stuff to go off rd
they both got has the same camerca, but I think the sport is retarded, since it has sport suspension. Why do i want a sport suspension on a truck??? i'm not going to race it.

Off-rd edition has the blistein off rd suspension which is bitchin!!

I like the trd decal, when you sell it they know it has a trd package. (if they are smart)

Plus off-rd has the atrac plus rear locker which makes it bad ass
the sport has bilstein suspension...along w/ atrac and vsc as well...the only difference in the suspension is slightly softer front coils and a bigger sway arm. i took my 07 prerunner sport offroad and had no probs. i wanna do more offroading, so i bought my 09 sport 4x4. i dont forsee any probs w/ this truck.

and everyone debadges anyways....i could careless about a $4 sticker...anybody can buy them and put it on a truck...look at all the fake cobra mustangs and si civics rolling around.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #15
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
I'll take it off-rd, not like anything hard like they do it in cali
but I dont mind rocking out on a muddyor like rocky terrian.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #16
ZeroFMN.com
tamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tamer
tamer's Tacoma Gallery
i'm sure off road helps in the snow...
Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #17
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamer View Post
i'm sure off road helps in the snow...
Actually Sport's LSD rear always 'on' 2wd, 4hi, driving down your typical snow covered road, it'll put the most traction down. Of course it requires more driver attention as the rear can swing out easier. SR5/Off-road open diff rear 2wd & 4hi. Busting thru 2ft of pow in 4lo, engage locker will have an slight advatange though. All depends what u want.

btw, talking 05-08, 09's whole other ball game of button pushing.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddmannq View Post

+1
Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Gearing is the same between modles. V6 has 3.73 to 1 rear gears. All 5 speed autos are geared the same, as are the 6 speed manuals.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #20
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
i got the off road package and i dont really go offroad much (not many areas in southern NY to go) but im a firm believer in the whole condom/concealed carry theory: "It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it." Maybe ill never need that rear locker but knowing that i have it makes me feel better. Im sure I woulda been happy with a sport though, i miss the hoodscoop i had on my 02' 4Runner sport.