Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is quality bad?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #21
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
and the leaf spring TSB is free, not 400 bucks
Only if you're inside the 3/36 warranty.
The reality is Toyota quality myth started when peoples expectations were so low, anything that ran was an accomplishment.
As the competition got better, Toyota suddenly had to step up and the reality is they're average now.
I've had many of the Consumer Reports 'avoid' cars, and strangely, they've all been decent, or better than decent.
Two Toyotas and I can't figure out what all the hype is about.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #22
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Remember there's 50,000+ people on this site, almost none of which are going to start a thread about how nothing happened with their truck.

My pile breaks all the time because I break it. When I used it as it was meant to be used I had zero issues.

This site is not a random sampling of all Tacoma owners. It's folks that either want to improve their trucks or have had issues. Most people leave their trucks alone and enjoy a lifetime of use with little maintenance beyond oil changes, brakes, and tires.

Fucking thank you. I hate how often I have to explain this.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
Rich1790 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Rich
Rich1790's Tacoma Gallery
I never had any problems with my truck. Maybe we should start that thread.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #24
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
Drove my truck to work again today. Drove home. Nothing happened.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #25
Sighless is on a distinguished road
Sighless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
friend actually has a one of the new 09 dodge ram 1500s and hasnt had a single problem with 23k mi teenage driven (besides always getting stuck)

love his truck...
I traded an 03 Hemi 1500, and miss it dearly, the only problems i had were the ones, i created.

Quote:
x2 usually whenever people have problems they go post up on the internet about it and the people who never have had a single issue dont bother to write about it so whenever you are internet researching you will see the 10000 posts of people that have issues vs the 100k people who didnt have a problem and never hear about it

-the bad tailgates were 05-06 iirc and they have a tsb to fix it
-the bumpers are up north where there is alot of road salt
-the leafs on the tacos are actually notoriously weak but a new better aftermarket leaf pack can be bought for $400. there is also a tsb for the weak leafs also
-and its the 6spd with the slipping clutch right?
-never even heard of the leaking gas tank

i am up north, and my bumper did rust, i bought the truck in april it came straight off the train and i picked it up.. it never saw salt. i had my bumper replaced in october... never seen salt and it had rusted away in months.

i have had multiple problems with my 2010.. so far, they have all been fixed by the dealer.. however, the blower motor and the bumper, i guarantee will return in a few months..
Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #26
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I got 99 problems, but my truck aint one!!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #27
DAN_FPC is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DAN_FPC's Tacoma Gallery
i think that the overall quality of toyota's has fallen a little. I had a old 96 corolla before and had like 420 thousand kms on it, no probs at all. My new 09 taco ive had a few issues that im not that pleased about. ie. blower motor, paint chips and rust spots. I defiantly dont really think that toyota fit and finish is as good as some of the other but im hoping that the drive train and motor will impress me over the long run.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #28
TacomaII is on a distinguished road
TacomaII's Tacoma Gallery
The seat material in my 2009 4x4 regular cab is junk! The bench seat is ugly and all fuzzy. Toyota doesn't want to fix it. It has 30,000 miles on it and nothing has touched the seat except for my blue jeans. I had my 1995 Tacoma for 14 years and 210,000 miles and that seat never looked anywhere near as bad as the new truck does. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #29
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
The main thing I've noticed that's really changed with Toyota over the years is the customer service...it's not what it used to be. That said I'm sure the same thing has happened with most dealerships nowdays.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #30
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Seat covers FTMFW ^^^
Old 02-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #31
HomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
HomeGrown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
I got 99 problems, but my truck aint one!!
LOL!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #32
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
I am a firm believer that the internet is making the Toyota quality "bad". People now have means to bitch and moan about their issues. What did they do before? Tell their neighbor? How far did that go?

These trucks are awesome.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #33
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Not another one of these threads!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #34
KevLot17 will become famous soon enoughKevLot17 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KevLot17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
I am a firm believer that the internet is making the Toyota quality "bad". People now have means to bitch and moan about their issues. What did they do before? Tell their neighbor? How far did that go?

These trucks are awesome.
X2.. EVERY VEHICLE HAS ITS PROBLEMS. NONE ARE PERFECT. I think the problems we have are kind of minor... ohh no my blower motor sqeals! yeah ok maybe the leafs are kind of a bigger deal but god damn people.. if you just wanna sit around and bash your truck all day.. SELL THE FUCKIN THING! I know theyll have minor issues and as long as my ball joints, calipers, tranny, wheel bearings, rears, motor all dont go before 50K miles like 'SOME' of the other manufacturers then im a happy man.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #35
mattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattygabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2 usually whenever people have problems they go post up on the internet about it and the people who never have had a single issue dont bother to write about it so whenever you are internet researching you will see the 10000 posts of people that have issues vs the 100k people who didnt have a problem and never hear about it

-the bad tailgates were 05-06 iirc and they have a tsb to fix it
-the bumpers are up north where there is alot of road salt
-the leafs on the tacos are actually notoriously weak but a new better aftermarket leaf pack can be bought for $400. there is also a tsb for the weak leafs also
-and its the 6spd with the slipping clutch right?
-never even heard of the leaking gas tank
x4

Internet feedback is almost never a good random sample. Product reviews are heavily skewed toward the extremes - you either get a ton of people raving about how great and flawless the product is, or the other ton of people are ranting about what a piece of crap the product is and why you shouldn't even look at it much less buy it.

TW's true worth comes in that when members post about issues, it helps to inform you about your product. A common question you should have when you come across a problem is, "Is this isolated to me, or have others come across this?" Depending on how you answer will help determine your next step - can you fix it yourself, have others done it, or should you take it to the dealership?

In my new '11, had I not heard a couple people complain about the doors not closing with a "normal" amount of force, I would've first thought I had gone bonkers after my passenger side door didn't close for the fifth time, and then I would've thought something was gravely wrong. I just know it's a quirk, and until it pisses me off enough, I'm content to leave it.

Also, don't equate "quality" in your truck to mean, "it is perfect". You may come across problems. When you pay for that quality, you're increasing the chances that you don't come across it, but you still play the odds regardless of what car you have. You'd even play those odds with a Rolls Royce, but you'd probably have a better chance of hitting the Powerball than finding a defect in one of those things... I'd hope so - your Powerball winnings might not even be able to pay off your RR!

So... Use TW as what it is - a great resource, not a statistical basis!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #36
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
They ain't what they used to be, but like others said, theres a lot of people on here, and who reads the "i love my truck" threads, who the hell starts them?
There's also a lot more toyota tacomas out there than toyota trucks, also, the internet was invented for the tacoma. So word gets around better.

That being said, surveys have rated toyota on a down hill trend. But I don't think they're any worse than other trucks right yet. Its just a shame they aren't what the old ones have a reputation for.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #37
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaII View Post
The seat material in my 2009 4x4 regular cab is junk! The bench seat is ugly and all fuzzy. Toyota doesn't want to fix it. It has 30,000 miles on it and nothing has touched the seat except for my blue jeans. I had my 1995 Tacoma for 14 years and 210,000 miles and that seat never looked anywhere near as bad as the new truck does. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Agreed. These newer bench seats are made pretty cheaply. However, besides cosmetic issues, I haven't had any problems with my '10, and I'm sitting right at 15K miles. I do feel that they are made fairly cheaply though. Little things like the crappy bench seat, the terrible design causing "taco lean", and weak leaf springs (which they have known about for years now, why don't the 11's come with 4?) give me that feeling. How much can Toyota really be saving on this stuff? One to two hundred bucks a truck? Pass it on to the consumer. I'd gladly pay it. I know TSBs cover a lot of issues, but those aren't advertised. Letters aren't even sent out to the owners. Toyota just hopes you'll "live with it."

However, the Tacomas are not even close to as bad as the newer Corollas. My dad has a 2010, and I feel like it's going to break into a million pieces anytime I touch something. My family has had a 93 and a 2006 that were both VERY solid. I think the issue is that at almost every vehicle Toyota sits a few thousand dollars below their competitors, and in order to do that, they have to cheap out on some minor issues.

All this being said, as long as they aren't cheaping out on engines, tranny's, and frames (Dana Corp. messed up the 1gen's not Toyota), I'll be alright.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #38
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
There's also a lot more toyota tacomas out there than toyota trucks, also, the internet was invented for the tacoma. So word gets around better.
Al Gore drives a Tacoma
Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #39
Tidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Tacoma View Post
I find some good information on here every time I get on ,but seems like every day theres more problems with the 010 and 011's Vibrations,rattles weak springs,weak tailgates,clutch slips,leaking gas tanks and rear bumpers rusting.. are the Tacomas built that cheap? We have an 07 Corolla and its built cheap but we havent had a minutes trouble with it..Turn the key and it takes you where you want..If someones looking to buy Tacoma and looks around on here they might think twice.
Sounds like to much time on the forum, reading negative stuff that you would have never known about.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #40
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had a problem with my 2010 Tacoma. I did have the springs TSB done but that's it. I've driven Toyota's for 30 years and in some ways I think the quality is better than it was then. In other ways it's not. But it's much better than my Ford Ranger was on day 1. That thing had all kinds of minor problems.