Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is quality bad?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Gray Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines: USMC Aircraft Crew chief
Gray Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Is quality bad?

I find some good information on here every time I get on ,but seems like every day theres more problems with the 010 and 011's Vibrations,rattles weak springs,weak tailgates,clutch slips,leaking gas tanks and rear bumpers rusting.. are the Tacomas built that cheap? We have an 07 Corolla and its built cheap but we havent had a minutes trouble with it..Turn the key and it takes you where you want..If someones looking to buy Tacoma and looks around on here they might think twice.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you have a Tacoma your self, so you decide. i don't have trouble with mine, unless I cause it.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Remember there's 50,000+ people on this site, almost none of which are going to start a thread about how nothing happened with their truck.

My pile breaks all the time because I break it. When I used it as it was meant to be used I had zero issues.

This site is not a random sampling of all Tacoma owners. It's folks that either want to improve their trucks or have had issues. Most people leave their trucks alone and enjoy a lifetime of use with little maintenance beyond oil changes, brakes, and tires.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Looks like you have a Tacoma your self, so you decide. i don't have trouble with mine, unless I cause it.
x2.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Remember there's 50,000+ people on this site, almost none of which are going to start a thread about how nothing happened with their truck.

My pile breaks all the time because I break it. When I used it as it was meant to be used I had zero issues.

This site is not a random sampling of all Tacoma owners. It's folks that either want to improve their trucks or have had issues. Most people leave their trucks alone and enjoy a lifetime of use with little maintenance beyond oil changes, brakes, and tires.
x2 usually whenever people have problems they go post up on the internet about it and the people who never have had a single issue dont bother to write about it so whenever you are internet researching you will see the 10000 posts of people that have issues vs the 100k people who didnt have a problem and never hear about it

-the bad tailgates were 05-06 iirc and they have a tsb to fix it
-the bumpers are up north where there is alot of road salt
-the leafs on the tacos are actually notoriously weak but a new better aftermarket leaf pack can be bought for $400. there is also a tsb for the weak leafs also
-and its the 6spd with the slipping clutch right?
-never even heard of the leaking gas tank
Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLot17 View Post
Because we drive new vehicles and expect them to be flawless.... imagine if all of us drove dodges??
friend actually has a one of the new 09 dodge ram 1500s and hasnt had a single problem with 23k mi teenage driven (besides always getting stuck)

love his truck...
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
x2 usually whenever people have problems they go post up on the internet about it and the people who never have had a single issue dont bother to write about it so whenever you are internet researching you will see the 10000 posts of people that have issues vs the 100k people who didnt have a problem and never hear about it

-the bad tailgates were 05-06 iirc and they have a tsb to fix it
-the bumpers are up north where there is alot of road salt
-the leafs on the tacos are actually notoriously weak but a new better leaf pack can be bought for $400
-and its the 6spd with the slipping clutch right?
-never even heard of the leaking gas tank
Tail gate TSB is for 05-08s.
x2 on never hearing about gas ank issues.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
There's also the problem with consistently expanding definitions of quality.

Used to be that people would buy a Toyota truck and they accepted the vibrations, driveline, etc., because they wanted a truck they could drive through the desert hauling a horse trailer and a grand piano. As time goes by, they also want it to ride like a Cadillac, and have the fuel capacity of a 747 while being whisper quiet and infinitely modified with little actual knowledge of automobiles.

Such is the price of competition.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #11

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
There's also the problem with consistently expanding definitions of quality.

Used to be that people would buy a Toyota truck and they accepted the vibrations, driveline, etc., because they wanted a truck they could drive through the desert hauling a horse trailer and a grand piano. As time goes by, they also want it to ride like a Cadillac, and have the fuel capacity of a 747 while being whisper quiet and infinitely modified with little actual knowledge of automobiles.

Such is the price of competition.
Your username goes with your comment.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
and the leaf spring TSB is free, not 400 bucks
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #13

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks for the correction
No prob. I only knew that cause I looked at it for my truck. It only applies until like mid 08. My truck falls in the TSB, but I was too late and I've had a problem and I'm not easy on it either.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
First Class White Trash

achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
and the leaf spring TSB is free, not 400 bucks
i mean to replace with ome dakars or something like that. better to do that imo

and fixed my initial post
Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2 -never even heard of the leaking gas tank
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...uel-tanks.html
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #16

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
First I've heard of it. Prius have gas tanks!?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
came from a 06' dodge. fell apart around me. 2 seized calipers 16k miles other at 24k miles. Rebuilt tranny at 46k miles clutch packs went. E brake cable snapped(yes snapped). Heater blower motor died twice, ball joints went at 30k miles, stupid multiple displacement system ignition sensor went $2200 job.

No I didnt beat on it. Its just a dodge....

Quote:
friend actually has a one of the new 09 dodge ram 1500s and hasnt had a single problem with 23k mi teenage driven (besides always getting stuck)

love his truck...
Old 02-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #18
Gray Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines: USMC Aircraft Crew chief
Gray Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
So far I dont have any of those problems ,only have 700 miles on the truck..The thing I am concerned about now is the back springs .I need to pull a 17 1/2 ft Bassboat 1600 lbs and dont want the truck bottoming out .
Old 02-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Tacoma View Post
So far I dont have any of those problems ,only have 700 miles on the truck..The thing I am concerned about now is the back springs .I need to pull a 17 1/2 ft Bassboat 1600 lbs and dont want the truck bottoming out .

Get the rear leaf TSB like they were talking about and you should be good to go.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
First Class White Trash

achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambojee View Post
my friends dad had an 09 dodge ram and he sold it within 3 months...
sorry to get off topic but...
why did he sell it?
only maintence my friends dodge has seen is regualy oil changes, tires, and alott of gas