1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame prepping for por 15

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Snowman20, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Mar 1, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    Snowman20

Snowman20 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    07 Trd Off-Road 4x4
    hey all, just wondering if anybody has prepped there frame for por15 before? i've read the por15 needs to be applied to bare metal, but from what i've seen on various forums is that people just take a wire brush to the frame, use that "metal ready" stuff, then go to town. does anybody have any experience with this? thanks in advance

2. Mar 1, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    YUP.. tons of it.

First I usually strip it down to the frame.. most of the time I'll leave the fuel lines and spring hangers and usually even the engine...

Then I go to town with a wire wheel or the like. Then get to painting. Has to be absolutely oil free. If you're not going to strip all the paint, clean it thoroughly with degreaser (theres is marine clean) then go to town like you were going to herculiner it. Scuff it to hell. The stuff doesn't stick to anything but rust with any tenacity. It relies solely on physical adhesion. Scuff it really to hell. Not with a wire wheel, that tends to polish. I like 3m paint remover wheel. You should see NO shine on the frame what so ever. Then wash it again with acetone or prep sol. Think it wanted acetone. Can't remember. I've never had a problem with just using prep-sol.

Make sure you get it on pretty thick but not all at once or it will outgas and make a porous foam that has holes right down to your metal. You don't wait for it to dry before the second coat. still a "light finger drag". Since it has to dissolve the last layer a bit to stick. Otherwise "scuff and start over".

Once it's done if you plan on painting anything over it. you MUSt do it while it's still tacky. You CAN paint it. But only before the molecules shrink up into that hard candy shell. Once it's dry, nothing will stick. Tie coat doesn't even do great... I've known people that have painted whole cars with por-15 they just spray it with epoxy when its still tacky.

BUT.. if you decide to spray, think again. Its horrible and sticks to everything. Like, eyes. Wear a full face respirator and mask your entire area if you spray.

Sucks if you don't have mostly rust already. It really does well on some nice seasoned metal.

3. Mar 1, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Second the respirator. That stuff is awesome but the fumes are nasty. It sticks like grim death and you can beat it with a hammer and not damage it. Great frame paint.

4. Mar 1, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Power wash the chit outta the frame with some sort of degreaser first.

If you don't get it clean... even the metal ready stuff won't help much.

I used POR15 on Dana 44 axles for under my jeep. The only places that the stuff didn't come off was the rusted/porous areas. For the flat surfaces, we thought we had it cleaned enough AND used the Metal Ready...but it was fairly easy to peel off.

5. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Definitely It will only stick to rough surfaces. It is like cellophane when dry. It seems to have no chemical adhesion. It just gets hard and stuck AROUND rough things, not on to them like epoxy does.

spill it on anything smooth and it'll come right up. It loves rust and will abide severely scuffed metal. You might consider just geting the little cans (like 8 oz or whatever they are rust bullet sells that small, not sure about por) and just hitting the spots that need it as needed. Like every oil change go around with a wire brush and por 15.

6. Mar 7, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    Snowman20

Snowman20 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    07 Trd Off-Road 4x4
    thanks, thats exactly what i wanted to know. once it gets a little warmer out i'm going to tackle it. i'll post some before and after pictures when im done! thanks again guys :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top