1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5W-20 Vs 5W-30

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by evile, May 5, 2007.

1. May 5, 2007 at 4:21 PM
    evile

evile [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    whats the difference? i ask because i changed the oil in the taco today BTW its weird having the oil filter on top of the engine.. any way changed teh oil and all we have at ford is 5W-20 oil, i say all we have because its bulk oil and its free to me. will using this oil change my performance at all you think?

2. May 5, 2007 at 4:55 PM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    The 5W-30 will have better shear strength at full normal operating temperatures than the 5W-20, so it's your call as to whether you want to take the chance of engine damage since Toyota specifically states 5W-30 for this engine.

3. May 5, 2007 at 5:01 PM
    evile

evile [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    probably within a few weeks ill put the right stuff in it but i had already drained the oil when i noticed the label

Products Discussed in

To Top