LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Auto Limited Slip Diff - what is it?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #21
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Don't dig yourself to the frame. If you see you are no longer moving let off of the gas and back up.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #22
GeoTaco1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Geo
GeoTaco1's Tacoma Gallery
Sand

driving is the opposite of most off road conditions, because we dont want to dig in to get un-stuck. And going up-hill in sand must be the toughest condition type.

I am going to try it so I can feel the difference soon:

1. Try up hill in 4H, if stuck, shift it in 4L and lock it, but it may not go
into 4L, thus I will have to Reverse back out

2. Try putting it in 4L with ATRACK on

3. Try 2WD with Auto LSD

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #23
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
It will go into low. I have noticed that if you lock into high while moving it will always go into low from high. Try it all out. The auto in sand is new to me because my manual Ranger would only be happy on sand when I used low. But with an auto the converter will slip so high is better IMO because you can get wheel speed.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Seeker View Post
HMM - A lot of you seem to like the system. I am probably not using it right. If I get diagonal tyres off the ground I am stuck - so in this thread where it says "Trac works like ALSD on all 4 wheels" I dont think so.. Previous vehicles with LSD would deliver power to the wheel on the ground.

I would like it to work in 4 hi at least, 4 lo also would be better
Is there any reason one wouldnt always push the LSD button evry time they use 4WD?

the trick is to give it more gas...

It is automatically on in 4hi. not on in 4lo

the more gas given, the harder the brakes grab and is actually stronger than a mechanical lsd.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #25
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I hope those who complain about all my A-TRAC info posts will see that there will always be new folks or those who have not read old posts that explain it well....

Now, for myname 150:

Not 'cheaper' but just more like limited slip... where as A-TRAC is more like lockers in what they do and when you use them.

1) All Tacomas have 'TRAC' in H2 (limited slip with enginge regulation) and 'AUTO LSD' in H2 (limited slip without engine regulation).

2) All 4WD Tacomas have 'TRAC' in H4 for a limited slip (but is without engine regulation, same as 'AUTO LSD').

3) All 4WD Tacomas have no TRAC in L4 for open differentials only.

4) Only 4WD Off Road Tacomas have a hydraulic brake booster for stronger 'TRAC' (limited slip in H2 and H4) and for the A-TRAC.

5) Only 4WD Off Road Tacomas have A-TRAC in L4 for locker-like limited slip traction control.

6) Only Off Road Tacomas (2WD or 4WD) have a locking rear differential.

Please read my link to A-TRAC info. below for more details.
Thanks Buddy
Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #26
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
No problema!

As for sand... H4 with TRAC is the best choice... If the sand is so loose you start to bog down, stop and DEFLATE TIRES to 15 psi and as much as 10 psi... You will be able to motor on out.

If you do bury the truck because you got excited when it stopped moving forward... A-TRAC works at extracting it out... At the very worse, you will need to remove all sand from in front of the tires and differentials so that nothing prevents you from rolling forward with minimal horsepower.

Standard modes (TRAC) in H2 and H4, and A-TRAC always on in L4, works for most of your driving needs.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #27
GeoTaco1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Geo
GeoTaco1's Tacoma Gallery
Uphill in Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
No problema!

As for sand... H4 with TRAC is the best choice... If the sand is so loose you start to bog down, stop and DEFLATE TIRES to 15 psi and as much as 10 psi... You will be able to motor on out.

If you do bury the truck because you got excited when it stopped moving forward... A-TRAC works at extracting it out... At the very worse, you will need to remove all sand from in front of the tires and differentials so that nothing prevents you from rolling forward with minimal horsepower.

Standard modes (TRAC) in H2 and H4, and A-TRAC always on in L4, works for most of your driving needs.

I have driven it on sand in H4 with no issues.
But there are some area I have to climb up about 40 degree incline. I have seen manyguys burry themselves, including my Jeep. So my real question is, is L4 with A-TRACK Pressed better than H4 (which has TRAC)?
Or should I try first H4 and see if I can get up the hill, otherwise back up and try in L4 with a_TRAC? I assume I should not have to lock the differentials in sand?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #28
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco1 View Post
But there are some area I have to climb up about 40 degree incline. I have seen manyguys burry themselves, including my Jeep. So my real question is, is L4 with A-TRACK Pressed better than H4 (which has TRAC)?
Or should I try first H4 and see if I can get up the hill, otherwise back up and try in L4 with a_TRAC? I assume I should not have to lock the differentials in sand?

Thanks!
4wd low with ATRAC is better for off camber situations. In the sand you will work the hell out of the system. You can try it locked in low and see what happens but wheel speed is what you need.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #29
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco1 View Post

Thanks!
Sand climbing (dunes or blow-sand against mountains) is fun to try and something you may not be able to do without greatly reducing tire pressure.

Last week I was playing on blow-sand with my new Dynapro tires, and having fun... but I only did what I could do with full pressure in the tires. Yet, except for the steepest part of the sand dune, I motored about fine.

Low Range/ A-TRAC won't get you any further up a sand dune that High Range/ TRAC... from my tests... Both got to about the same point. The locker didn't change the climb, and low range with oppen differentials only got half as far up the dune.

By all means, try different methods on your sand... and if none of the traction choices climbs the dune you need to climb, drop the air pressure and you WILL climb... I think High Range with TRAC will be the key... less digging in and more speed to stay on top.

Let us know!